Remember When....

I guess I am old school, I did all of those things. I fondly remember the little yellow sheets the drum judges would use, occasionally they would flash them at you to show you how you were doing. Judges had fun with us back then, they all seem too serious today. Of course my favorite thing from the past....

NOBODY DANCED! and the color guard was in the back where they belonged.

Thanks for listening

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about crying? I always see people crying now, I find it annoying. Why not put that much emotion into your show?

I can one up ya on that. At a show a couple years ago I watched in horror as right before the hornline warmed up on the field, the guard walked around giving "Huggies" and "Kissies" to each other before setting up! Bleeaaagh ampssuck

Edited by MsBusDriver

What about crying? I always see people crying now, I find it annoying. Why not put that much emotion into your show?

Crying???

Are you crying?

There's no crying in Drum Corps! There's no crying in Drum Corps!

:::$1.00 to "A League of Their Own":::

I'm soooo old school I remember all that

remember being hard core and looking through people, not at them ???

Yeah!! Only corps-face allowed, none of this grinning like a baton twirler! Smiling would get your face punched!

Yep...attitude was everything! It's like you dared the judges to tick ya!

All that emoting on the field makes me wanna ampssuck. As if the upper deck in the stadium can SEE that...NOT!

To me, the rifles had the most attitude of anyone on the field. They RADIATED attitude, right LancerFi?!

Thanks for listening

I resent that statement! I understand your love for old school, but the guard does NOT ALWAYS belong in the BACK in a boring ARC! True today, they seem to "dance" more than they do equipment, but for the most part, they contribute to the "overall" drill design and not just a "backdrop."

Malibu:

I was just going to ignore that statement as the pitiful comment that it was.

And to think I liked the Kilties, too...

Malibu:

I was just going to ignore that statement as the pitiful comment that it was.

And to think I liked the Kilties, too...

yeah, I know, only people who are "non-guard" would make a statement like that!

You see that dot on the wall? That is your dot! You don't move you don't blink all you've got is that dot. If the building falls down you better pretend that dot is still there.

Do Not move! Got it?

Dont think about it DO IT!

(Rick Odello telling us the fine art of standing at attention)

Edited by flammaster

That's one thing that gripes me today...the lost art of standing at attention. Once we marched onto the field and adjusted our position, we didn't move, we didn't adjust our uniform, our hair, our equipment...we FROZE.

To me, it is the epitome of DISCIPLINE. You are competing and performing, even before you play the first note. At least in MY mind!

Thanks for listening

I resent that statement! I understand your love for old school, but the guard does NOT ALWAYS belong in the BACK in a boring ARC! True today, they seem to "dance" more than they do equipment, but for the most part, they contribute to the "overall" drill design and not just a "backdrop."

So true. 27th Lancers certainly qualify as "old school," but they integrated the guard into the drill so that the guard was not a separate "throwaway" unit, but fully incorporated into the show. After all, they are every bit as much members of the corps as the horns and percussion. And when they're fully incorporated into the drill, they add so much to the visual impact. Constantly being stuck in the back in a blah arc shows no imagination. Drill made a huge leap forward when drill writers started using their imagination more and figuring out better ways to write the guard into the drill.