Facial hair and horn's?

camel lips

What affect if any does a mustache or beard have with your embouchure?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My tuba teacher has a full beard, but it doesn't seem to hurt his playing. I think as long as you keep it trimmed so it doesn't interfere with your mouthpiece, you should be okay.

Have a full beard and no problem with playing Bari. Just have to keep the moustache from getting too long as it gets in the way. Don't think it hurts the playing, just feels weird when I play. Think of it as a cold weather cushion. :P

I've never had any problems......actually the only problems I've had is when I once shaved everything off....man that was weird!!!

Stay away from those cheapo fast food napkins for a few days. SCRAAAAPE!! :sshh:

yea, its just weird to play with it. I had some for awhile. Got rid of it.. i look better without any facial hair anyways... :-P

Honest to G** true story. Back in my GB Vagabonds day, we had a bari player who shaved half of his moustache off before a show and didn't realize it. Boy, did he look funny.

I won't say what jr. corps I was in, but we had a few slightly older members. They kept clean shaven all summer while a few of the legal age guys grew beards. Seems that anytime another corps would challenge members ages, they would pick out the guys with facial hair.

I have tried the facial hair thing a couple of times, but i don't like playing with it. I play contra and for me while it doesn't get in the way, it limits how good of a sound i can produce, especialy in the lower register. PLus I play on a gold mouthpiece and that already slides around easily on my face. With the help of facial hair it makes it more difficult to get a good seal on the mouthpiece, which is what leads me to have some of these problems.