Facial hair and horn's?

camel lips

Facial hair saved my uniform.

We were playing in Colorado (cant remember which show, but it wasn't Denver), and I got a nosebleed the last minute of the show.

If it wasn't for my goatee, I would have bled all over my white jacket. Granted my mouthpeice was full of blood and saliva, and my goatee went from brown to red, but there wasn't a drop of blood on my uniform.

Thanks Facial Hair! You're a lifesaver!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have tried the facial hair thing a couple of times, but i don't like playing with it.  I play contra and for me while it doesn't get in the way, it limits how good of a sound i can produce, especialy in the lower register.  PLus I play on a gold mouthpiece and that already slides around easily on my face.  With the help of facial hair it makes it more difficult to get a good seal on the mouthpiece, which is what leads me to have some of these problems.

Yeah ,I just had my Helleberg Gold plated I've been all over that thing latley, I dont remember that with the first one I had.

When you buy the gold Helleberg's they aren't nearly as bad. Once you get them plated or replated they slide all over the place for a couple weeks, then things return to normal. I know that when I get mine plated I have my friend at the store put on a few extra layers of gold. It really "softens" up the Mouthpiece and that has really saved my chops after playing for extended periods of time.

Facial hair saved my uniform.

We were playing in Colorado (cant remember which show, but it wasn't Denver), and I got a nosebleed the last minute of the show.

If it wasn't for my goatee, I would have bled all over my white jacket. Granted my mouthpeice was full of blood and saliva, and my goatee went from brown to red, but there wasn't a drop of blood on my uniform.

Thanks Facial Hair! You're a lifesaver!

Did you finish the show....

I dont have any facial hair so I dont have a problem with it.

I don't have facial hair, so I don't sweat it.

But I *CAN* relate to the blood taste and spitting it out.

I think the more important question is who wants to be with a girl that has a goatee?

:)

• 18 years later...

Marched PR with a beard but joined the Air Force after aging out. Obviously no facial hair in the AF Band. I found a very tiny layer of stubble upper lip and “soul patch” really help grip the mouth piece. And I was playing on a Monette… Now that I’m retired I keep a full but trimmed beard. 
Davie J