Jacksonville, AL review

First of all, this is NOT a comprehensive review. Even though I have been in the drum corps activity for 20 years and I have the experience to pick apart each performance, I am not about to do that. I go to shows now to be entertained, not judge, although my wife says I'm too critical at times. I watch the performances from a broad perspective...never watching just the brass or percussion or guard, but trying to take it all in. With that in mind, here is my review...

Div 2, Teal Sound. A very small corps playing the music of the Dave Mathews band. I assume that was their debut performance as it was for most of the corps here tonight, and I try to take that into consideration. The brass didn't play with much confidence, but I know that that will get better as these young kids get on the road. The guard tried to do some dance to some of the music, and it was almost distracting. One thing that I wish small corps with younger members would learn is that you really have to very good at dance for it to be effective. These girls were not very enthusiastic at all, as if they were already tired. And the composition of the dance itself was not very well written, IMO. The corps stood still for a prolonged time at the end of the show, so apparently, the show is still to be finished.

Div 2, Magic. I was ready for Magic. With that stellar staff I was expecting a lot. I think a lot of people are. But to be honest, I was disappointed. I really expected to see a much improved visual program with the likes of Sacktig writting the drill, but the drill was by far the most disappointing for me. It was uneventful. The horns certainly had a nice sound, but again, not what I expected from a Downey chart and Gino in front of the line. The music also is what I would call uneventful. There were a lot of repeating themes in the show, but not one that ever grabbed me and forced me to like it. The show started then ended for me. It never really went anywhere. If they are to make a bid for the top 12, they've got a lot of work to do, but I personally don't know if they have the show to do it.

Div 1, Kiwanis Kavaliers. I didn't know what to expect from them. When they were annouced to play the music from Batman and Spiderman, I got a little excited as I love Danny Elfman music. Their show was fun and accessible. They never stop moving and they have BIG moves. In fact, I liked the drill from an effect standpoint better than I did Magic's, although it was very very dirty. Once they start to clean up, they will be a fun corps to listen to and watch.

Div 1, Cavaliers. Having never heard of their music before, I was completely prepared to dislike this show. What a surprise! Not only is the show easy to get in to and understand, but it is FUN. There are some absolutely BEAUTIFUL moments played backfield...in fact, the Cavies seem to really put the backfield to use much during the show. If you have the chance to see them in a nice concrete stadium, you'll love it. The brass have some extremely hard licks and they played they quite well for June. Their drill was the usual Cavies fare, but they were a little dirtier than this time last year. However, I heard that they have 90 veterans in the line, so I would expect them to be able to overcome all obstacles this summer. Although I haven't seen SCV nor Cadets, my vote goes to the Cavies for the title in August.

The most memorable moment of the show for the majority of the audience is shortly after the hornline starts their "rap". The drums begin a steady and rocking beat while the horns count in rhythm. The guard sets up in a small square to the right of center field and begin to dance. But this time, it is not some "interpretive" dance...it is funky and cool. It starts off with only one, then a few more guys, but then soon, the entire guard is rocking to the beat, which has grown steadily in intensity. Then, before you know it, the brass have circled the guard and "framed" them. they set their horns down, and they get into the jam session as well. It was a standing O moment.

There is also another moment in the show when the brass is standing in a company front. The conductor slowly points down the line, and as he moves his hand the brass in that area respond. It is hard to explain, but when you see it, you will think..."cool".

A very well written show and a very entertaining one as well. A complete surprise!

Div 1, Blue Devils. We've all come to expect a lot from the Devils, and they hardly ever disappoint. The first thing that I notice is the guard uniforms. They are stunning...a cross between a Bob Fosse costume for a Broadway musical and a Cirque de Soleil performer. They start the show with the guard obviously featured in the front and center. The dancing is incredible, as one would expect from a Scott Chandler guard. The music is something that most everyone knows and understands. The opener is really good fun music. Ragtime is not what I would expect from the Devils, but I really liked it. However, when the corps gets into "I got Rhythm" and "Fascinating Rhythm", the brass charts are quite different and so thick that it is hard to make out the melodic line. It is hard to follow. The same can be said for the old standard, Channel One Suite. After hearing if for decades from the great Devils' lines of the past, everyone will have an expectation of what they will hear. It is now very disjointed and chopped up. Again, hard to follow, IMO. I like the show, but it didn't move me as I thought it would.

One criticism that I have of BD, and a friend of mine that was watching her first DC show noted that they are too loud too much of the time. They don't have enough contrast to their show. There are not enough quiet moments. It is as if the whole show is intended to blow our faces off. Don't get me wrong, I love LOUD, but you have to give us something to compare it too.

Div 1, Spirit. Of course, as you can tell by my signature that I am a Spirit alum and fan. However, over the last few years, I have learned to be more pesimistic when it comes to our show. I had not heard nor seen the corps at all this year prior to this show.

As they entered the field, the first thing I notice is the guard. Finally, they have a nice guard uniform!

The corps starts the "Easter Symphony" in a triangular form, with many percussive attacks and notes from the entire corps...brass and percussion. They have already added some nice GE body moves in the brass line that add to the effect. However, after the opening statement, comes one of the weakest sections in the music, which does not give the best first impression, but the show does grow. The altos take over the melody with some rather difficult and exposed parts which are not played very well. As Bobby noted in his review of the preview show, the intonation is almost hard to listen to. But, it is June, and I know it will be cleaned up. After that section is completed, the opener drives on, which is difficult and driving. The drill is the best I've seen from Spirit in years...maybe decades. The percussion seems to be very agressive, but I'm not a percussion guy, so what do I know? The guard, for the first time in years, caught my eye.

When the brass line opens up, the sound is full, loud, and beautiful. There were times throughout the show when individuals stuck out of the ensemble, but again, it is June, and that will be fixed. The brass line for a change, adds a lot of moves to boost GE. My wife and our friend both noted how cool some of those moves were.

This show is hard and although not the most accessible music on the field, it is a joy to watch. It is a good show. When they get clean and build power to the end of the show (they lose their steam with about 3 minutes left), I can see it making a serious bid for the top 12.

Exhibition, CorpsVets. Two words sum them up...THEY ROCK. This corps has made significant strides since coming on the scene only 3 seasons ago. Who do you think was the loudest and fullest hornline of the night? It wasn't BD, but the CorpsVets. Wow! What a sound. Their show is fun, entertaining, and powerful, which is what I expect from a DCA corps. Watching this show did bring a tear to my eye however. They play "Blues in the Night", much like Spirit did when I was DM back in 1984. And of course, our sop soloist back then was the incomparable Hunter Moss, who is the sop sololist for the CorpsVets. At the end of the chart, he even took front stage and played his solo note for note as he did in 84. It brought back many memories for a lot of old Spirit folk last night.

Like I said, this was not a comprehensive review...as you can tell by the lack of mention of percussion. Overall, if the corps tonight represent what drum corps has to offer this season, we are in for a great summer, full of good heated competition and enjoyable shows.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve,

Thanks for the review. We're having a good time with this show and the crowds are loving it. It's only going to get better!!

Jeff, I only wish that more DCI crowds could get a chance to see you guys. The corps is nothing short of a joy to watch. I wish the CVs all the luck in the world as you take on DCA!

Steve- Thanks for the kind words about us. I had a great time performing in J'ville especially because of the crowd. They were awesome!

Reading here we come! :D

Uh, Steve, probably the most comprehensive non-comprehensive review I've ever seen! B)

Very nice job. Can't wait to see all the corps, esp JSU. Sounds like another step up. Very intelligent corps admin the past three years moving them along quite nicely.

Mike

Uh, Steve, probably the most comprehensive non-comprehensive review I've ever seen! B)

Very nice job. Can't wait to see all the corps, esp JSU. Sounds like another step up. Very intelligent corps admin the past three years moving them along quite nicely.

Mike

Yeah...after I wrote the review and saw how long it was, I said to myself "That was not comprehensive?".

Seriously, I can't talk about how many notes the drums played. I can't tell you if the guard technique was sub par. I can't elaborate on the intonation of the baritones in the opener. My review, IMO, is very superficial...thus non-comprehensive. Call it a GE review!

I can't wait to hear your response to Spirit's show either, Mike. I remember how well you liked last year's offering. This year is written so much better and the kids love it! When will you see them?