Traditional grip - Why?

Professor

the fact that one hand is the weaker hand would be an arguement for matched grip. Since once is weaker it would be easier to play that same way as the strong hand. It doesn't make any sense to have the weaker hand do something different than the dominant hand... IMO..

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the fact that one hand is the weaker hand would be an arguement for matched grip. Since once is weaker it would be easier to play that same way as the strong hand. It doesn't make any sense to have the weaker hand do something different than the dominant hand... IMO..

Well, I guess we'll agree to disagree on this one. In almost all sports, the weaker, or non dominant hand does something different. Try eating using your "other" hand, or throwing a ball using your other arm. It's unnatural. Using your own example, in baseball, the non-dominat hand catches the ball, in boxing the non-dominat hand jabs. Look at the hand position on the guitar, way different. On the set, the left hand often plays ghost notes while the right rides, which is way different musically. I'm not trying to argue here, it's a great debate. I respect your point of view and I see your logic, even though I don't agree.

agreed that we disagree...

But again if a baseball player were to try and switch and try to learn to throw and catch well with thier opposite from normal hands. They would try to do the same thing as there other hand was doing since thats what they know how to do. They wouldn't try to do it different, just mirrored from thier other hand. If you were to try to eat eith your other hand, woudn't you try to do it the same as your dominant hand? And on guitar, left handed guitar players can string the guitar opposite and then they play it the exact same way as a righthanded guitar player, just on the other side. but also guitar has 2 differen't processes, drumming is the same thing in both hands. its still the stick dropping to the head and you picking it back up, its just a matter if why someone would do it 2 different ways at the same time, other than to make it easier on a slanted marching snare, or some jazz set styles.

(also agreed, it is nice to have an actual discussion about something, rather than just yelling across the board like alot of posts turn into)

Edited by cheezedogg 23

K'...I'm a brass guy...but manhy brass guys will drum when no one's looking, myself included. I tought myself how to (badly) drum years ago (and am possibly the ONLY person who remembers the 12 or so cadences we had in high school). When I pull out the pad, I play traditional...if I go matched my rolls are not even close to a uniform sound and my singles are horrid (not that my trads are great, but there's SOME semblence of decency there)

Explanations? Given that I'm self-taught??

did you start learnin by emulating the drumline in traditional first? or did you start with matched then change to trad? if you never even tried matched then thats why you can't play with it. With either style, if you don't practice alot with it, it won't be good. Which ever one you practice more will sound much better than they other. Thats why i feel all these drummers that say they can play as fast matched as they can in traditional just never practiced playing hard and fast stuff in matched grip because they never had the reason too, so of course they can't do it.

Let me preface this by saying that I am NOT a drummer.

It seems to me that everyone is pointing out how traditional grip is harder to play than matched. Well... wouldn't that be the point of doing it, then? If everyone played matched, and they maxed out their licks... the next step would be to try to play it with a more difficult style, wouldn't it? Essentially, maybe you play traditional BECAUSE it's more difficult.

Also, from a drill perspective, doesn't playing matched grip cause you to have to give up about a half step on your left hand side to give room for your elbow? In a line of 9 people, that's over four steps of length to the snare line. Traditional seems like it would allow the line to stand closer together, and therefore be able to listen in (and across) better.

Just my two cents, for what it's worth :D

No and No.

Traditional is the original style. Therefore, you don’t get points for playing traditional just because it may be perceived to be more difficult (assumption) - because it's nothing new.

Elbows can be tight to the sides with matched grip. It depends on the preferred look and drumming style.

Sorry Pittman – Not trying to maliciously stomp all over your attempt.

Real masters of the instrument can use matched (American, German, French variations), traditional, reverse traditional, double traditional etc. at will. There are legitimate uses for all of these approaches depending on the aural or visual effect you're going for. Case in point -- Billy Cobham or for a more recent example, have a look at Tyler Dempsey's solo Rodent Tomfoolery.

A secret to share.

When you play traditional and tilt the snare it is even easier to hear the person playing next to you.

Mom

http://www.istillneedhelp.blogspot.com/

So wouldn’t that just apply to those right of center, and would the people left of center not hear as well, then?

Not that hearing the snare next to you would ever be a problem when they are flat.

ORRRR … Would the lead stick now be on the left end of the line because that would now be the key projection point?

I'm serious - this raises some interesting questions about playing with slanted drums. Or, is the angle change too insignificant?

In reading these comments, I can go through and say, “I agree with that guy’s point on this - and that other guy’s point on that” … and more than once, I’ll think, “I never considered that perspective.”

Thanks for keeping this interesting people.

just one thing.. traditional is not the original drumming style.. its the advantage developed after the use of field snare use. But when the first drum was used for military field use, they used matched. Then someone invented the traditional grip (not called that at the time) for ease of playing the slanted legstrap drum.

i've never thought of the slanted drums being easier to hear in the line. interesting concept. And i agree with the thought about intervals with snare line. It you can also play in a wider matched grip (with the elbows) by just increasing the interval of the line to 2 steps. Lots of corps use a 2 step (rather than a 1.5 step) interval in the snare line, and it there is plently of room for matched grip. even in recent times i've seen corps use traditional and matched with in just a movement of the show. Not for long periods of time, but it happens. and they didn't have to adjust thier intervals.