What is the HARDEST brass intrument to play?

BOSMarcher

What is the HARDEST brass instrument to play?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. What is the HARDEST brass instrument to play?

• Trumpet
    • Flugel Horn
    • Mellophone
    • French Horn
    • Trombone (any type)
    • Baritone/Euphonium
    • Tuba

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Horn is definately the most difficult to master. Horn does have many advantages. One example: try playing the melody of John Barnes Chances' Korean folk song through the partials only. Then try it with the fingers. You can cheat a bit with the Horn. : )

f. horn

Fhorn for marching is incredible hard, one reason I feel corps switched to Mellos, makes it alot easier. I feel the mello is almost as easy to play and march as baritone. easier to hold than baritone/euph. But as easy to play an march. At least for me it was.

yeah the horn can easily pierce through any ensemble:-D so that is always fun, but i am originally a percussion player, i marched euphonium for two years, and played trombone in my highschool jazz band and a ska band for about a year. And in my opinion, horn is the hardest. It gets so frustrating hitting partials and fingering with the left hand doesnt make it any easier to just pick up and learn. another weird thing for me (with horn) was that it's about 80% upper lip and about 20% bottom for your embechure(sp?). But a really cool thing is being able to play a scale only on partials and muting with your hand. plus getting a good "horn" sound took me quite a while. im done my rant.

-chris

This sort of goes out to whoever said the horn pierces through the ensemble.......What exactly do you base that on????? I've been playing the horn for the past 11 years. And I like to think that I'm a fairly good horn player. and I have NEVER heard anyone say that the horn sound was piercing through the ensemble. Nope, its mostly just "horns, are you playing?" and "horns play louder"

I agree, but I don't think he meant that in a bad way. I think he was stating that the horn is heard above everyone else in the ensemble (I don't know if I agree)

F. Horn dynamics can range from not hearing them at all to getting that "movie-esque" wailing sound. I personally love the sound of French Horns in the movies... I mean "Freedom" Horns :)