1973 Argonne Rebels

Hey folks....

Anyone know of a place I could get a listen to the 73 show for these guys. "Fanfare for the New" is one of my favorite pieces ( not to mention "Malaga" ). I understand that hornline was smoking hot.....

thanks,

CM

CM, check your private messages...

Anyone remember that high-note trumpeter who used to play the National Anthem before Cowboys home games on TV?  I think it was Tommy something.  He had some good chops.

Tommy Loy. What an amazing musician. I live in the Dallas area and had the opportunity to hear Tommy play jazz and dixieland with various groups over the years. Even as he was nearing 70 years old his chops never waned. He died a couple of years ago. Here is a link to an archive of the news piece.

http://ml.islandnet.com/pipermail/dixielan...ber/004276.html

What a classy guy. We all loved him and miss him.

Anyone remember that high-note trumpeter who used to play the National Anthem before Cowboys home games on TV?  I think it was Tommy something.  He had some good chops.

Tommy Loy. What an amazing musician. I live in the Dallas area and had the opportunity to hear Tommy play jazz and dixieland with various groups over the years. Even as he was nearing 70 years old his chops never waned. He died a couple of years ago. Here is a link to an archive of the news piece.

http://ml.islandnet.com/pipermail/dixielan...ber/004276.html

What a classy guy. We all loved him and miss him.

Thank you for the memory-jog and the link.

The opener, Fanfare for the New, and Malaga were transcribed/arranged directly from Stan Kenton's charts by Frank Minear as he traveled with Kenton's band. As the story goes, Frank arranged in hotel rooms, as they traveled. The closer, Sousa's Stars and Stripes, Forever, featured the "C" strain which most avoid due to its difficulty.

The exposure in this show was substantial. It was a “quantum leap” in terms of difficulty from Argonne’s “5.0” horn lines, yet took 2nd in MA at DCI finals? Argonne took high brass in prelims. Musically, 1973 was among Argonne's "finest hours." Most did not appreciate the shows musical accomplishment until years later.

Other notes of interest regarding ‘73 Argonne:

Had it not been for Vince Bruni's total rewrite of the drill (top to bottom)in late July, Argonne would not have made DCI finals. Vince was able to find a way to keep the Kenton music lines and counter melodies directed at the stands. The intricacy of that was probably something that the activity had not yet experienced.

Quite frankly, had it not been for Vince, the musical innovations/advances presented in that show would most likely have been lost to the activity. Marching to the up tempos in Malaga was certainly new for us (and perhaps the activity, as well).

Argonne carried 60 in the horn line, one third of them were female. I believe both were firsts for junior corps (if not the activity). The average age of the corps was 17+. If you have a chance to grab a ’73 Argonne brochure, you will find (pictures) a group of very young, extremely proficient brass players, that played at high levels (college and above). Most all were from a three county area in Central Kansas. Great Bend’s population was just under 20,000.

Argonne’s drum major, Matt Springfledt handled the soprano solos in Malaga and Stripes. The solo soprano section carried mellophones on their hips for use throughout the show.

Multiple future DCI Hall of Famers (brass) followed Argonne to the parking lot in Whitewater following DCI finals to apologize for what had happened that year, most likely beginning the re-evaluation of what Argonne’s ’73 show meant to future direction of the activity (and why we are still talking about it 31 years later). The 1973 DCI World Championships were Sandra and Glenn Opie’s last in an official capacity with the corps. Sandra, or course, eventually went on to be a CSJA and DCI adjudicator. She was inducted into the DCI Hall of Fame in 1995. Glenn, who continued on with his legal career, was inducted into the DCI Hall of Fame in 2003.

The ’71 horn line can best be described as being in “a zone.” It was an exceptionally clean, well balanced show from start to finish. It scored 19.0 (out of 20) at VFW finals,…..5.0 in Content Analysis, with a 14.00 in execution (10 ticks in a 11-13 minute show). It was perhaps Argonne’s best all-round horn line. Argonne also took high brass at the 1970 VFW National Championships in Miami.

Argonne had a standing invitation with the Kansas City Chiefs to perform at a pre-season game every year. The ’73 show not only kept them in their seats during half time, but also generated an 80,000+ standing ovation. We frequently performed at Denver Bronco games as well.

Jeff Yeager

Argonne

'67-'74

Thanks for the insider's notes, Jeff. I found your mention of Vince Bruni's contributions interesting since he also wrote and instructed our drill with the Geneva Appleknockers (NY) that year. Vince had boundless enthusiasm and energies when it came to drum corps. I did not realize that he was also involved with Argonne, however. Did he travel out to Kansas in 1973?

Geoff

• 3 months later...

Hey folks....

Anyone know of a place I could get a listen to the 73 show for these guys. "Fanfare for the New" is one of my favorite pieces ( not to mention "Malaga" ). I understand that hornline was smoking hot.....

thanks,

CM

Argonne Rebels had the best hornline I had ever heard in my life. They rocked. Plus watching Sandra Opie conduct them was a sight to behold. She had this elagent way of sweeping her arms.....sigh.

Mike Braga

73 - 75 SCV

76 - 78 Anaheim Kingsmen

2004 TOR SCV

Argonne Rebels had an amazing hornline in the early 70's. People couldn't believe the line was largely female! It's really a shame they couldn't field a drum line to match.

Hey Jeff Yeager.....correct me if I'm wrong here. Wasn't Doug Denison also a part of that hornline's success. I seem to recall he was the arranger for Jesus Christ Superstar, among other tunes. Doug was the horn arranger for Blue Rock in '74. He did a great Blood Sweat & Tears medley for us.

:blink: Great insider post up there

Matt S and Dave Hickle came to Marion to teach them in what was arguably the last year Marion was a decent and competitive corps. Matt would pick up a horn and belt out the solo in S and S for our entertainment.

Fanfare was the bes tthing I had ever heard. Still get chills when I get that record out of the closet. I think Beverly Cardinals and Guardsmen also tried the piece. Nothing like the great Argonne lines tho.

Wonder where those guys are now.... interesting that those kids were largely from 3 counties..... I have ridden a bike through that area.... not much around there.

Edited by prc756

:blink: Great insider post up there

Matt S and Dave Hickle came to Marion to teach them in what was arguably the last year Marion was a decent and competitive corps. Matt would pick up a horn and belt out the solo in S and S for our entertainment.

Fanfare was the bes tthing I had ever heard. Still get chills when I get that record out of the closet. I think Beverly Cardinals and Guardsmen also tried the piece. Nothing like the great Argonne lines tho.

Wonder where those guys are now.... interesting that those kids were largely from 3 counties..... I have ridden a bike through that area.... not much around there.

They may be at the Argonne reunion in Denver at DCI. Look for the hats and t-shirts with "Argonne" on them. I will be there too.