1973 Argonne Rebels

Look at the Salina Silver Sabres web site. they have some recordings of Argonne in the 70s available. :blink:

I just flashed on the 1973 Argonne Rebels cymbal line. They did this head chopper thing that blows away that thing SCV did last year.....and I know this will get a responce...and they were girls!!! It was intense. I remeber walking down the ramp to set up for prelims in Whitewater and they were just finishing up there show and the cymbal line, of which I was a member was flabergasted by the stuff they were doing. They had those funky spinner things instead of straps so theyy were spinning there cymbals and jumping into the air and doing some insane head chopper s$%@. Those girls rocked, and if any of you ever see them in the present day, let them know I said that.

Mike Braga

SCV 73 - 75

Anaheim Kingsmen 76 - 78

SCV TOR 2004

• 2 months later...

Hey Jeff Yeager.....correct me if I'm wrong here. Wasn't Doug Denison also a part of that hornline's success. I seem to recall he was the arranger for Jesus Christ Superstar, among other tunes. Doug was the horn arranger for Blue Rock in '74. He did a great Blood Sweat & Tears medley for us.

Doug arranged "Superstar" for us and perhaps a few others. In retrospect, how fortunate we were to have played charts from many of drum corps' great arrangers, including:

Truman Crawford

Kenny Norman

Hy Dreitzer

Frank Minear

Doug Denison

I am sure they were instructed to always push the "edge." They certainly gave us arrangements that set us apart from others. Just imagine the instrumentation that they had to work with.....

I think Beverly Cardinals and Guardsmen also tried the piece. Nothing like the great Argonne lines tho.

Yes, we did, and largely because our brass arranger, Tim Salzman, was a huge fan of Argonne! Thank you Tim!

Drum Corps World offers some custom Dale Johnson cassettes of Argonne in the early 70s. I have 71.

Re: Superstar. Don Angelica arranged a medley from Superstar for 1971 Lynwood, CA, Diplomats. 1971 Argonne's was far superior in concept as well as execution. The "Nailing To The Cross" sound is especially chilling and a wonderful effect. I didn't see Argonne's show as I wasn't at Houston AL (my Diplomats hornline and of course the rest of the corps (!) was there, so I never saw Argonne's visuals. I know the Diplomats "cruicified" a couple of cymbal players on either side of an empty center cross, the crossing being made of flagpoles.......and we considered bringing out our long haired 3rd soprano John Knox, who bore an uncanny resemblance to some of the more "Nordic" representations of Jesus, but thought it not a good idea to have him take off his shako, hairnet and let his long locks down for fear of being offensive.

But Argonne........whatta corps!

RON HOUSLEY

Edited by ffernbus3

Didn't know about Hy Dreitzer.  Do you recall what tunes he did for Argonne?

Sorry for the slooooow response.

Some of this pre-dates my time with the corps. I am guessing that Hy may have written seveal arrangements over time. I did have the opportunity to experience Hy's Magnigicant Men in their Flying Machines both as a kid watching from the sidelines and in the following years ('67 and '68) as a performer on the field.

Truman Crawford was approached to arrange this song for us in '66, but already had it in mind for the Royal Airs. I believe we then approached Hy. Most people that remember our corps during the mid-60s recall "Flying Machines." It had a tremendous opening fanfare (our opener), and is/was one of my favorites.

• 17 years later...

Better late than never? Our 1973 show can be heard on an album from the DCI Finals. It's Volume 3 which also contains the Kingsmen, the Madison Scouts and the Kilties. Someone posted just our show from that album, on YouTube. Excellent quality. Here is the direct link: 

Hope this helps. It sure takes me back. Will be 50 years ago next year (2023). Time really does go by in a flash.

Steve Schachle - Argonne Rebels / Color Guard ('72, '73, '74)

• Like 1