6/22 - "Loudest Show on EARTH", Cupertino CA

Stadium Review: The show was at Cupertino HS in Cupertino, CA. The field was nice, and sight lines from the stands were OK. However, serious demerits here because the parking and entrance weren't clearly marked, and construction fences made for a confusing trek to the stadium entrance. Also, extreme negative karma directed toward the crew at the south end of the stadium who felt it necessary to cut down a rather large tree with loud power tools for the duration of the show.

First corps on: BD "C". Great show theme. It took me a minute to get the "burning fuse" effect during "Mission: Impossible", but that's just 'cause I'm slow. As always, lots of fun to watch.

BD "B" was next. Two comments: (1) the drumline smoked; and (2) this corps always gets the most sound out of the smallest hornlines (17 brass). Should have played to their strength and featured the drumline more. The guard, as always, was technically superior and handled multiple types of equipment with ease.

Mandarins: Well thought-out show, and provided the first "tingles" of the night. The last ten to fifteen seconds of the show got us all on our feet. Biggest compliment I can give to this corps: the coworker I brought to the show, who had never seen drum corps before, got on his cell phone after seeing the Mandarins and started making plans with his girlfriend to get tickets for Precision West in July.

SCV Cadets: Strong visual program. I remember SCV always having a full hornline, but in the past they were very young & couldn't march a lick. Those days are over. These kids can move. I squinted for a second and thought I was watching the Cavaliers. Great drill writing. Need more "impact points" in the music, though, and the snare line tuning seemed a bit soft in comparison to other corps - almost like they taped out the guts of the snares.

River City Regiment (after intermission): Excellent debut for the newest California senior corps. Proved, as BDB does, that you can be entertaining with a small brass ensemble. Highlight: the rest of the corps "striking a pose" during the drum solo. The d-line players are obviously skilled (seem to include a bunch of Freelancers alums), and the horn line had some players. Can't wait to see what they look and sound like two or three years down the road, when they get more bodies in the corps. They need some work in the guard, but even they showed some serious energy at times, and always looked like they were having fun.

SCV: Full of energy from the first impact point on the first downbeat of the show. Brass: awesome, as ever. Drumline: killer beats. The guard utilized all kinds of cool props, including boxes, flags with straps that contorted into cool geometric shapes, and some very dramatic silks. Unfortunately, didn't have much to compare them to, since SCV was the only Div. I corps in attendance. However, there was always...

The RENEGADES. The host corps was incredible. Before I launch into the review, in the interest of full disclosure I must state for the record that I was one of the charter members of the corps starting in 1996 and served as the interim director in the corps' DCI debut in 2000. Now, down to brass tax - did the show live up to billing? Darn straight. Loud, loud, loud. The guard is much improved, bigger, and their flashes of color ("bordello red", as one of the guard members described to me after the show) were a much-needed contrast from the basic black unis the corps wears. Nice look with the new trenchcoat-style jackets with "Bruce Lee" collars. And the corps seemed to draw energy from a very enthusiastic field conductor.

I was amazed to see how far the corps came from the "seven members and a ham sandwich" days in 1996. The experience of seeing them from the stands leaves me with mixed feelings. It's kind of like being the estranged father of a kid that goes on to be President of the U.S. I can't take any responsibility for the success it has become, but that's still my "kid" on the field. Now he's all grown up. B)

"Now-I've-seen-everything" moment, during the Renegades victory concert: seeing a soprano player pass out cold after a trademark "loud" moment, then come back from the dead to finish the show. At first we thought it was a joke, but then several staff members rushed over, and it took a minute for the guy to get up. He wouldn't let them walk him off the field, and picked up his horn and finished the show. Wow.

That's all from Cupertino. Have a great week!

Brandon Wilson

BDB 1989-90, 92

Allegiance Elite (Calgary, ALB) 1992

Renegades 1996-2000

"Now-I've-seen-everything" moment, during the Renegades victory concert: seeing a soprano player pass out cold after a trademark "loud" moment, then come back from the dead to finish the show.  At first we thought it was a joke, but then several staff members rushed over, and it took a minute for the guy to get up.  He wouldn't let them walk him off the field, and picked up his horn and finished the show.  Wow.

That dude hit a double high D according to the other sops. I missed the incident as I was standing on the opposite side of the arc. That dude is gonna be a Renegade legend, lol! I think we're gonna go out and get a few of those canvas gurney's like the ones that were used in the tv show M*A*S*H, carry them out to the field and put them to the right and left of the pit. You never know...

As for SCV's new uniforms, they are really tailored and the left sleeve is red, the right green.

^0^

Guest GeorgeD
green x 128.

Hum. 128?

Now that 135 is the size limit, I just have to ask:

What happened to the other 7?

I hope nothing evil.

That dude hit a double high D according to the other sops.

a very serious 'head rush'

anyone who's ever screamed out a 14 count D above double high C, and trills

it to an F, knows the feeling. I don't. close, I've had to 'one knee it' a

few times, or lean on a fellow horn player, but I never went down. he's

young, and he promises he'll never hold it out longer than 8 counts

again.......

the concert ended literally less than 30 seconds after he stood back up.

after asking him many times "are you ok....do you feel ok" he kept replying

in a sensible manner, "ya.....I'm alright". a little shaken and

understandably embarrassed, he stood back up. I told him "don't even try to

play another note". he didn't. I played 2 or 3, and the show ended. we left

the field. I do believe at some point along the way, he was checked out. he

was back at rehearsal the next day.

funny, the same exact thing happened to me at my wedding 12 years

ago.....the ring bearer locked his knee's and passed out at the alter. my

best man Steve Bentley, caught him and guided him carefully 'backstage'

until he could re-compose himself, and then returned to the alter and

finished the gig. it's all on video.

well folks, our sop player is ok. he'll be back for

more......

it could be more serious than it looks, and we need to

be extra careful.

rich d.

evil soprano...

the guy that was standing right next him....and felt the ground shake. :o

:o Now that's a classic drum corps story if I've ever heard one!!

I missed it! I wish the arch was set further back! Now I have to say, "Yeah, I was there but I didn't see it".

hey Leads!...let's be careful out there!

Lewie - You outdid yourself with the design of the 7 trophy ... not only were all the Blue Devil C corps kids taking personal photos near it at the show on Sunday, they actually put it in the pit for their show...

Lee

:)