Crown Point Review

Well, I ended up not going to Jenison on Friday to see PR like I had planned because the chance of thunderstorms was too high for me to drive 3 hours each way (especially after getting up at 5:30 that morning for work....). So I went and saw them in Crown Point which is a little more managable 2 hour 15 minute drive. I sat in the 3rd row on the 35 yard line so I can't speak too well of the visual design even though it was a rather tall stadium.

Before I get into the review I just want to mention that there are some mindless spectators in Crown Point and the show organizer didn't do a great job in deterring them. People constantly, and I mean constantly! entered and exited the stadium during performances. Seeing how they were always walking in front of me it was getting very annoying. Also, do people need to stay so connected that they can't turn off their cell phones at the show? I'm as connected as anybody and I left mine in the car. I don't know how many peoples phones rang during the show and I was surprised at the number of people that actually answered and talked for a minute or two! To top it off the lady behind me pulled her phone out and made a call just as they were starting America/Oh Canada during the finale. Unbelievable!!! :lol:

OK.... enough of the venting. Despite all the distractions I love live drum corps :) One more side note.... This was my first time seeing Capital Regiment and the Colts this year despite going to Toledo. My friend who was going with me had a family emergency so we missed the first 3 corps to perform in Toledo. Now without further adieu...

Americanos: A nice little corps, this was my first time ever seeing them. I liked the show concept and music (it was something I had played in high school). I'm not sure I understood what the tri-pod at center field was for. The color guard seemed to be pretty good. The biggest issue for this corps was intonation. But, they've got all summer to learn :) The third piece seemed to be a little loosy goosy for them. But once they pull it together and play a little better they will have a very good show.

Capital Regiment: Wow! This corps is taking giant steps forward. It's hard to believe they've only competed on the field since '99. I got into town and happened to pass the field they were practicing on and got to see most of their final run through. Based on the director's comments afterward it sounds like they kicked the tempo in Avalanche. He said, "At least now we have exciting dirt as opposed to boring dirt." I thought that was kind of funny. Overall, I really liked their show. I suspect they'll be a contender for the Div II crown.

Southwind: I really like the music they are playing this year and the drill seems to match it pretty well. Not too easy, not too hard. The precussion line seems to be the strenght of this corps (although I'm no expert at judging percussion technique). I kind of expected them to score higher. Actually I thought both Capital Regiment and Southwind would have been higher.

Phantom Regiment: These guys were loud! And awesome! They were clearly head and shoulders better than anyone who had gone on so far. The opener is shear power and seems to go on forever! The ballad was nice as were the two closing pieces. It seems like they may have upped the tempo of their closer because it didn't seem to plod along like it did last weekend. The color guard was also very good. I think this show has some legs and could make a run at the top 4 by the end of the year. This show received the first (and only....) "leaping out of your seats and screaming standing O" of the evening. Everyone else got a regular, "polite" standing ovation.

Colts: It seems this year there are at least 15 legitimate contenders to make Finals. Don't count on the Colts to be one of the corps dropping out of Finals to make room. This show was outstanding! Definitely the best Colts show I've seen in a long long time. I really liked the music and they seemed visually very clean for this time of year. Based on the score they must be lacking difficulty in their visual program but it was hard to tell from where I was sitting.

Bluecoats: I liked this show a lot better than last week. They've done some cleaning so their forms have better clarity. Still needs a lot of work though. Man, these guys are moving! Definitely the most difficult drill I've seen them try. I wonder if they'll be able to clean it enough to keep up with the pack. The horn line was outstanding. I'd say neck and neck with Phantom for best of the evening although the Glassmen are no slouches either. Again, they marked time for the last 30 seconds or so. It sure would be nice to see them get the last set of drill on the field.....

Glassmen: The show still doesn't grab me. I like it but can't get excited over it. It was well executed and definitely was worthy of winning. I knew it would be close between them and Phantom. The drumline is without a doubt the strength of this group! Very very powerful. There's a lot of body movement in the ballad section of the show (probably to make up for lack of difficult drill) that needs to be cleaned up yet. Inconsistencies in form I guess would be the best way to put it. I'm sure they'll have this program spic and span by August..... but can it pick up enough GE to hold off the Regiment? We'll wait and see.

Good review. I'm going up to spend a couple days with the 'Coats on Monday and Tuesday. I hope to GOD they get those last 5 or 6 sets on. If you look at their GE Visual scores, they are woeful and I can't help but think it's partly due to the fact that the end of the show is just weak right now. Every review I read, I keep thinking, "I hope they got the closer done..." Still the gap between them and PR and Gmen is just 2 points....'Coats poured it on in August last year, I'm hoping they can do the same and catch someone in '02. We'll see.....

I'll have a review from Lima on Wednesday.