Waterbury DCA Review

Ok, so this was my first DCA show ever as a spectator, and I'd like to offer my unbiased review for all to take a gander at. First off, getting used to sitting in the stands, and watching other DCA corps, has not been something I've done since I was in the Sunrisers in 1995. Since then, I've been in the position to be performing later in the night where I didn't really get a chance to see other performances.

Well as we all know (that have attended this show in the past), the town of Waterbury usually has a dark cloud hovering over it during the show, usually spitting down rain on the performing corps as the night goes by. Although the threat was there this year, and I did feel a couple of drops around 7:00PM, the rain held back, and the night began.

8:00PM - oh my God, the show starts on time with a lovely and chilling rendition of the Star Spangled Banner on trumpet, echoing throughout the land and silencing even the most unpatriotic of souls. Did I paint a lovely picture? The night was hot...no...the night was wet...no..the night was humid..no..sultry..no...moist. Yes, the night was moist.

I'm not going to comment on Phoenix or Jersey Surf for two reasons. One, I wasn't really paying attention (no offense, but I came to watch the senior shows), and two, I was too busy waving hi to friends, and chatting with my wife Terri and my friend Patty whom I was sitting with that didn't come to watch the juniors either. And what's the deal with the yardlines? Most of the corps were complaining that they either couldn't see them, or they weren't there, and half of the yard markers were kocked over, AND the pitching mound wasn't leveled out - come on Waterbury - how long have you been hosting this show? These should be no brainers by now!

Okay Hurricanes, here we go. First off, you had me in tears during Fanfare for the Common Man and 3rd Symphony. Those 2 numbers hold a special place in my heart, and as you may know, it would have also been the Sunrisers' first two numbers in 2000 if they had gone out. The arrangements were chillingly similar to the ones we had learned that winter. Brass line sounded pretty good except for a few alumni-corps-sounding sopranos and mellophones which really stuck out of the blend along with a lead baritone that was playing WAY too loud for most of the show. (the alumni sound i refer to is playing everything with vibrato - what's that about anyway??) The drumline surprised me though - very well written book, and a very demanding bass book, which is being executed rather well for this early in the season. (Keep in mind that I am a horn player, but I know good when I hear it) Expect great things from this drumline. I counted 42 horns out there and 7 snares, 4 tenors, 5 bass, and a nice sized pit - who was amazing by the way, and flying over the keyboards - NICE book for them! Very impressed, I must say. Excuse me if I don't comment on the guard, because I never watch the guard. Sorry about that, but like I said, i'm a horn player and usually just am watching the musical ensemble. One of my faults, please don't sue me. The one problem I did have, is Ballet Sacra. IMHO, this piece is being butchered by the hornline, and although it is early in the season, articulations need to be worked on BADLY, and sustains and attacks/releases should be a bit better at this point. The backfield section was nice, however. The end of the Hurcs show is not done as of yet drillwise, but it sounds fast, loud, and exciting. I coulda swore I heard Mag 7 when you were playing the isolated attacks in the closer. Maybe, maybe not. In my opinion overall though, a nice show with alot of potential. Lots of cleaning to do, as with everyone else, but I think Hurcs may be looking at a top 6 spot this season. Thank you, Hurricanes!

Bush, Bush, Bush..ahhhh. Okay here we go. Low brass, low brass, low frickin brass. I've always loved their bari/contra sound, and this year is no exception. I saw this corps about a month ago at Harrison Tri-Chem, and between that viewing and the show, I must say I was disappointed, guys. Maybe it was the field, or the long, hot practice day, but I was much more impressed watching you in the parking lot than on the field. Honestly, at that point, I had you beating the Caballeros. Maybe your show is too hard again - is that a possibility? Here's what I figure: One of the, if not THE hardest horn book in DCA this year, so it'll take longer to clean...and it WILL get cleaned, and you'll get the numbers for it once you sell it. The drill is a b#### too, it seems, and that will take longer to clean too. If I know Jim Duggan at all (show coordinator), I know that he doesn't ever want to play the 'DCA game' and do hokey s### out there just because doing less and cleaning it gets the numbers faster. The opener is hot however, and sounds alot tighter than the rest of the program. I also know that the drill just got finished recently, so maybe the confidence is not 100% yet, as to be expected. Transitions into Firebird are shaky at best - not a good transition at ALL into the closer - it sort of just 'starts' without any fanfare or pit intros...something missing there. Also, I DID watch the guard here shortly, and in my opinion, you guys LOOKED pretty ghetto with the temporary uniforms that you wore. Also really don't agree with those tiny orange traffic waving flags. What's the deal there? Don't have the equipment yet? If so, understandable. I was picturing dark red big ### nasty lookin' flags and mean ### faces on the guard in the opener (ala Bush '1994, hehehe), but again, I'm not on your guard staff, and you can count your lucky stars for that! I have to comment on the marching for Bush also - folks, this is what marching style is. Watch Bush. Great feet, everyone's attempting to do the technique, and it looks pretty tight. What a refreshing thing to see in a DCA corps. It's few and far between these days, really. Okay Bush, overall, I had you beating Hurricanes, and so did most of the people around me, but as you know, this is Hurricane town, and a Hurricane crowd. Let's move on.

Rump rump rump...no wheel? What's going on here folks? This is not your father's Caballero corps ladies and gentlemen, but lemme tell ya - it sure reminds me of the 75 Muchachos! There's a good reason for that, fans...the corps is playing a tribute to the 1975 Muchachos program this year. All your favorite tunes out for another shot - and I bet THIS version makes finals! Ooooh....Okay, to be honest, most of you know that I marched with Cabs in 2000-2001, but I'll try to be as objective as possible here. The last time I saw Cabs was also about a month ago, because in that time, I've been a bit busy with my newborn son, and just haven't had the time to get down to the post to watch rehearsal. Having a kid is hard work!! Whew! Enough about me. Spine chilling opening sequence with the corps playing backfield, side to side - echoing against that back outfield wall in Waterbury always sounds great for every corps - kinda makes you wish you could take it with you to every show! Just don't phase! The opener was pretty hot though - alot better than when I saw them last. Pictures of Spain is a drum corps classic, along with most of the other tunes in their show, and it's all pretty hummable for the ride home. The Cabs have been working their ##### off this past month, with the addition of Mike Longdo full-time to the horn staff, and finally solidifying a drumline out of nowhere. Hornline is working hard, and the drumline sounds as if they've been together as a whole for a lot longer than 2 weeks!! The drumline came in 2nd to Hurcs by only .25 - not bad at all. The corps is still in need of a couple of drummers - mostly a tympanist and possibly another tenor player (for those on the fence). On with the review: Pines of the Appian Way NEVER fit this show, imho, in 1975, or today, but it's there, and needs to be worked on. La Fiesta was in need of some groovin - it's still a bit L7 (boxy, or unjazzy at this moment). The drum solo is SICK - there's more notes in that SOLO than there is in some of the other corps total books - you gotta see this one folks!! Marianne (Carnival) is a fun tune and features an amazing sop solo that had me peeled back in my seat. Maybe he was a little too close to us? Hehe, nice job Russ! The closer is different than 75 though, and it's fast, and hard, and loud, and ooh ooh!!! WOW! I almost blew my wad watching that ending - really very exciting stuff. Overall, with alot of cleaning, this show could very well be a viable contender once again for the DCA crown come Labor Day. Lots of potential here, but watch out for these other corps from tonight - they're right on your ###, and you'll have to keep working hard, because you know they'll be working hard to catch you!

Skyliners: Sorry guys, I didn't see you. I know they performed a stand still, and that's all. Please excuse me.

All in all, Cabs ended up taking every caption except percussion...Cabs won color guard by .4 as well, and in total, ended up with a 69.95. Hurricanes took percussion and best drum major (WOW, Russo didn't win it!), and Bushwackers took 3rd. A great start to a great season for all the corps. It's going to be very exciting at DCA this year if this show is any indication, and it looks like it is. Anyway, thanks for reading my review. Have a great day!

Chris Mignemi

Sunrisers 1994 - 1999

Caballeros 2000 - 2001

Fan 2002

Cabs 2003 - forever

(code fix-GD)

With respect to the Hurricanes guard - they were only .4 down from us, not 3 pts........

It was quite a fun first show. I enjoyed performing on Saturday!!!!

*sigh*

Nobody who was actually listening to our performance.

I know we weren't marching, but sheesh, nobody listened either? :(

Sorry Kay - I was told on Saturday night that it was 3 points - I thought that sounded like alot! Anyways, I have edited my post. Apologies to Hurcs and Bush's guard!!

Chris Mignemi

Sunrisers 1994 - 1999

Caballeros 2000 - 2001

Fan 2002

Caballeros 2003 - Forever

*sigh*

I was listening, Mike.

Good job in a tough situation. The crowd loved you guys as always.

Hang in there and keep working hard and it'll all come together. ;)^

Nice review, BEARCLAW! I'll see you around...

Great review Chris! Yea, Bush definitely had a bad night. If you would have seen us the following day at the Haledon, NJ Div 2/3 show, it would have justified that. Can't get it back, but we can make up for it next week. See ya in Binghamton....

*sigh*

that's unfair!! YOU know why!!

i really, really wanted to. and i never would have left during the Cabs perfomance if i could have avoided it!

*sigh*

that's unfair!! YOU know why!!

i really, really wanted to. and i never would have left during the Cabs perfomance if i could have avoided it!

I know Liz...wasn't directed towards you...

I'm just frustrated.

Welcome to June.