One Hit Wonders

Hey fastbreak and Rocketman, let's not go there!! I think my idea was just to bring some corps up that never get/got any pub, rather than constantly focusing on the top 12!! Let's keep the hard feelings out of it, and just enjoy the fact that the Freelancers, etc. are finally getting some due!!! Don't get me wrong, I LOVE BD, SCV, Cadets, Star, etc., but every now and then I like to remember Osage and Belleville and the Fox Valley Raiders............Sorry about the rant, I guess I just miss the days when it seemed like there was a drum corps every 30-40 miles..................(sniff :( )

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait a second, don't lump the Blue Stars in with Phantom when it comes to complaining about the Marquis beating them in June of 1976. I don't recall any Blue Stars who marched that year saying the Marquis did not deserve to beat them early in the season. The Marquis came out very prepared that year and deserved the scores and placements they received.

"Cambridge Caballeros":

1957 to 1962. Boston based junior corps with a Spanish motif. Taught by Norman Prine alum Al Saia and Hawthorne Caballeros Hugo Evarelli (talk about a 'comute'). In their short history they carved out quite a reputation for themselves beating almost all of the powers of the day and placing fourth at the 1961 VFW Nationals.

They can be heard on Fleetwoods 1959/60 "Corps Aplenty", 1962 Carnagie Hall and VFW Nationals Albums from 1961 and 1962.

Elphaba

What about the malden (MA) diplomats in the mid eighties. I know we battled them at a few shows in 84 and 85

Oldtimedrummer... the Marion Cadets finished 3rd in Division 3 last year, 7th (I think) in 2002 and 4th in 2001. How is that "not getting over the hump"? Same with the General Butler Vagabonds. They were around and good for a long time.

Well, I decided to go to the basement to search the ol' drum corps archives and the Auburn Black Watch and Pembroke Imperials kept popping up--anybody familiar with these corps and could give us a little history and show these guys some love?? :rolleyes:

How bout Avant Garde! Not a bad drum corps. if I do say so myself.

Reading the post on 1972 and came up with a corps with attitude and style

Des Plaines Vanguard

Made finals with a show years before the time. Great stuff!! Too bad they couldn't continue at that level.

Another corps would be St. Rita's Brassmen from New York area. Both the Vanguard and St. rita's with the West Side Story music. Excellent!!!

This is directed to OLD Time Drummer.

The Freelaners made finals quite a few times and had been around quite a long time before they finally went inactive for good. Their highest placement was 7th place and that is not too shabby. I do not think they belong on your list. It is not as if they just came and went in a few years.

This is just my humble, and I am sure biased opinion.

I absolutely agree with you and I would make the same comment about Suncoast.

Not intended to be mean in any way, shape, or form, but, Southwind.

On the cusp of Finals in 2000 (don't wanna say threshold, since that's the show that they lost to), but have declined severely the last couple seasons.

You know, I just watched that show today, and thought the exact same thing. Too bad....they really deserved 12th....what an emotional show, with so much energy vibing from the crowd and the corps itself....