Memorable Moments in a Show

Kay

I have quite a few, but I'll start the thread off with my first finals performance with the Caballeros in 1995.  It was 3/4 through the opener and a drum judge found himself in an awkward position not knowing where to go he attempted to move behind the guard, well as he passed through me I clocked in on the head so hard he yelled "HOLY SH**."

My first reaction was, OMG I just lost the show for us.........can you imagine?

Its on the video too, I was backfield right on the 50 yard line. BOOM!

Lets hear more stories

It was my very first drum corps show ever....watching or performing. I was 15...this was 98. I was on a small corps and we were the first to perform that day. Well..halfway through the show the guard captain accidently hit me in the EYE with the (plastic) butt of her flag. Well....I almost blacked out..it was pretty hard and hurt llike a..well I don;t have to say that. I kinda got tunnel vision for a bit....just soomed in on the feet of the person in front of me because I had lost count, and kept going. I have blood running down my face for the rest of the show and had a trip to the ambulance afterwards..the first customer of the day. So that was my first drum corps show and first black eye! But I did get to eat dinner first that day =)

• 2 weeks later...

I'd have to say my most memorable moment was in 96 when I was with Reading.  I joined the corps after the Hershey show and so for a long time I didn't march the whole show...the Ridgeway, PA show was the first time I marched the show from beginning to end and it was memorable because it was the only show my parents came to see that year.  I cried the whole way through the show that night...

The scariest thing I had to do was last year I had to climb a big rickety 12 foot ladder, and then the bass drummers tilted it while I posed.  :(  Yeowie! I may have been scared of heights back then, but after practicing that every day on concrete, Im not bothered by heights anymore! ;)

Guest GeorgeD
Yeowie! I may have been scared of heights back then, but after practicing that every day on concrete, Im not bothered by heights anymore!

You practice on concrete a pose on a rickety 12 foot ladder everyday?  Boy, what corps do you march...the "Law Suits R' Us Cadets?"  lol

Oopsies! I didn't mean to say that everyday I practiced on concrete. I meant that I practised it everyday, AND on concrete. Most days I was on grass or dirt though. Does that make any sense? I don't know. I thought the other post made sense until I went back and read it. Oh, well. Sorry. (:-D

P.S. Also the drummers who were tilting it were pretty trustworthy (As percussionists go!) hehe!  :P

I think this can be considered a "Scary" moment.  I was about 20 at the time and teaching this one guard.  For thier senior final show, the girls wanted to do a "Phantom of the Opera" number.  (Hey, it was a hundred years ago!) For "Music of the Night" I choregraphed a dance number between the guard captain as "Christine" and a graduating guy that played Tuba as "Phantom".  Well, they couldn't practice together too often, so I ended up practicing with him as "Christine".  I think the emotions of the song were misplaced with him.  One practice (THE LAST PRACTICE) he tried to kiss me!!!!!!  YIKES.  I thought I was going to go to #### or get fired or something.  So I told the band director and was all freaked out.  That was very strange.

• 1 month later...