Tuba (Contra) lines

robot

Personally, I enjoyed several lines that I've heard live.

Spirit 2002 had a GREAT full sound...good intonation. 

Cadets 1991 Great Line

Star 1991, 1992, 1993 :laugh:

Cavaliers 2002 (1999 - great sound)

Phantom 2005 (MUCH better than ANY line I've ever heard from them.... back when they had different horns in G, it was not a very thick sound.... didn't sound the same all the way across) <**>

Just a few lines from the past that I enjoy.

Ok, I'm officially removing 2005 Phantom contra line from the list of great contra lines. After further review...it was only one of the coolest parts WRITTEN, not performed. Eeek... blend blend blend. ;)

Cavaliers 2005 was a MUCH better contra line than PR 2005. Oh man what a cool part, too.

SMM

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some younger people might not know some interesting facts, Suncoast Sounds line in 89' only had seven (7). Take some tome to listen, you'll be pleased! :blink: 6 out of the seven moved on to some lines that are spoken of quite frequently on this post! 91 BD, 92 SCV, and 92 PR. I'm sure Mr. Addcock might correct me if I missed any.... :)

Some younger people might not know some interesting facts, Suncoast Sounds line in 89' only had seven (7). Take some tome to listen, you'll be pleased!

I've heard that the '88 hornline had several plugs, maybe up to eleven -- but none in the contras. I might be thinking of the '89 line, though.

That would skew the balance a bit. Madison 1990 had seven contras, too.

• 9 months later...
You must have added some weights to that DEG. Dynasty's 3-valve contra (G) is 16 lbs. 4oz., and the 4-valve (G) is 25lbs. This comes directly from the Dyansty web site's product specifications.

By comparasin, the Dynasty Bb tubas are 16 lbs. for the 3-valve and 25lbs. for the 4-valve.

As for Kanstul, here's their specs:

Kanstul G Contra Bass Bugle (KCB 201) - 18lbs,

Kanstul G Contra Grande Bass Bugle (KCG 200) - 26lbs.

Kanstul G Contra Grande Bass Bugle (KCB 200/4) - 28lbs.

Kanstul's 5/4 Bb Marching Tuba weighs in at 24lbs.

I can tell you that I play a DEG 4-valve contra and it is at least 35 lbs. I know it has had a couple of braces added but otherwise it is the same as the factory models. I think the weight figures on Dynasty and Kanstuls web sites are highly undervalued. I think they don't want to scare anyone off.

yep i march the 5/4, with no rings, and its totally fun, and heavy

Come on now, Spirit 1979 contras in Nuttville. Killer !!!!!! Ok I am biased. :)

• 2 weeks later...

firstly, magic '04/'05! gotta show love for the Quibb!

that being said,

Phantom '06 is sounding mean, i dont know who has/hasn't heard them, but they sound sooo sick.

BD takes it home always.

Cavies have had a few nice ones, maybe more than a few!

Vanguard have shown up more than a few times with some powerhouse contras.

but being a contra player myself, any group of guys (and girls) that opt to spend they're summer marching that heavy @55 horn, have 'proven' themselves as a hardcore group of individuals.

rock on contra players alike!