Serenade in Brass '04

I'm sure Jeff and others will post their thoughts when they've recovered from last night, but I'll take a crack at it now since I am somewhat rested. Comments, opinions and other stuff is mine and is not representative of any entity in corpsdom. Here we go:

General Comments: a more reserved crowd than in past years - not sure why, saw a lot of the same faces I've seen the last fifteen years or so. A lot of bleed through from the lobby/concession area - not really disruptive but it was noticeable. As a whole, the contra lines were more powerful across the board than in past years.

Individual Corps:

The Hitmen: second time seeing them; sop work is still phenomenal. The ensemble work in Boogie Woogie was nicely done and the soprano ride out in Singx3 was incredible...Contra/Tuba player had great presence last night.

Westshore: OMG!! Thank you, Thank You, Thank You. That was my first time hearing the America arrangement with a full hornline - I also liked the new [?] percussion parts on the tag to the chart. Explosion was rocking bigtime and the drum break was well constructed and executed. Blues in the Night tag still resonates well, I never tire of hearing it.

Buccaneers: Smaller in size than in previous years. The oldtimers in my section were very appreciative of the traditional parade approach to the tunes. The Eternal Father arrangement was reverent and forward-looking at the same time - one of the musical highlights of the night for me.

Naval Academy: gotta love the typo on the running order page, I think its there every year. Different American Salute take than usual - I think we heard almost every variation on that theme last night. The second tune was a very intriguing Americana medley of Columbia the Gem.../God Bless America and a trio from a march that my band director's brain is blanking on right now. A very effective performance.

Mass Brass: first time seeing them - I know I need to get out more. They more than lived up to the hype. Niner Two was incredible and hearing the Ott arrangement of Malaguena - well...no words are needed ... amazing would be a start though. Please bring them back

Yankee Rebels: my hometown corps. Strong night for the low brass. Sops were working hard. Good to see them back at the Forum

Hip Pickles: another phenomenal performance. It seems that Chet's snare gets smaller every year or maybe it's just me.

Cabs Alum: In your face performance. The addition of Kerchner seems to have upped the ante some in the interior voicings. The screamers were on and they had to be to ride over the top of that charging ensemble sound. Ted meets Ed sounded suspiciously like Johnny One Note but my hardwiring may have been scrambled by their opening chart.

St. Joe's: Smaller in size than in the past but they still maintain their power and intensity. The slight rearrangement of Big Spender was a surprise and actually improved the chart. The encore was very well received.

Cabs: Okay, I'll confess...even after they won it all last year with Key's charts I was waiting to see what would happen when he pushed the bar even further. Well he did and - at this early part of the year - they are vaulting over it with room to spare. Opener was in your face and intricately structured leaving no room for error. The second movement is shaping up to be the musical moment of the season. The third piece starts off flying and doesn't slow down at all. The fourth song - to my ears - seems to be the weak link right now. Not on a performance level but on a compositional one. But it is fixable if that is what the staff feels is warranted. I can't wait to see the visual package that accompanies the score.

Overall, another incredible night at the Forum. Kudos to Five Star for producing the event and to the Westshore Alums - please keep the group going on any level.

Gil

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yankee Rebels: my hometown corps. Strong night for the low brass. Sops were working hard. Good to see them back at the Forum

Kind of wondering what sops working hard means? There's not a lot of us.

Thanks for the great review Gil! It was great doing the show at the forum and the show at the hotel late night! We can't wait to get back there. It was also fun meeting Legal Eagle, BonBon, MikeMey and others...and not a bad word was exchanged from a political standpoint! Go figure...

A pretty good article about Mass Brass and the Serenade in Brass apperared in Fly Magazine. If anyone cares to check it out, you can do so HERE!

Thanks for having us, Harrisburg! (off to bed now...)

Strutta

Mass Brass

Edited by strutta

I loved the show. Cabs do sound incredible on their Bbs

I think my hearing finally returned after gettiong blown out by Hawthorne and Westshore! Excellent concert and I was very impressed by Mass Brass. Hope to see you back next year!

my hearing? :rolleyes: what's that? hearing Mass Brass back at the hotel finished off what little i had left :P

will post more of a review after recuperating from the 4 hour ride home.

it was a very very pleasant surprise to meet MAV and Strutta last nite :)

Nice review.... thanks!!!!!

A few thoughts on the show, if I may:

Mass Brass was FANTASTIC. Wow.... what a great sound, clear AND loud!!!!

It was a privilege to get to hang around with the Westshoremen Alumni folks again. Everyone in the corps seemed to be having a lot of fun, and isn't that what drum corps is supposed to be about?

Cabs Alumni rocked!!!!! Big, full brass sound, terrific drumline. Good to see George Hayek (one of the co-founders of the Caballeros way back in 1946) still going strong in the alumni corps' honor guard. YOU DA MAN, George!!!!

Also, it was quite a treat to see legendary drum major Ralph Silverbrand conduct the Cabs alumni corps during Flamenco Cha-Cha.

Cabs competition corps: Well, so much for the "G vs. B-flat" argument, as far as I'm concerned. A GREAT hornline, rich, full and balanced, with plenty of punch. These guys are so strong this year I get the feeling they could play on PVC pipes and kazoos and still get the job done!!!

My wife and I (and several other folks sitting in our section) were fascinated by the young man in Caballeros' pit who was playing a variety of percussion instruments and playing them all very well. I understand he's 15 years old, but he looks 12 or so. He's my early favorite to win the Best Showmanship award at DCA Finals this year.

Thanks to the Five-Star Brass folks for putting together another great lineup. I can hardly wait for the Hershey show in July!!!

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

My wife and I (and several other folks sitting in our section) were fascinated by the young man in Caballeros' pit who was playing a variety of percussion instruments and playing them all very well.  I understand he's 15 years old, but he looks 12 or so.    He's my early favorite to win the Best Showmanship award at DCA Finals this year.

Fran

I had him as a timpani player in my pit this past year for one of the groups I taught in outdoor.

His name is Nate, and he's 15 years old. (Even though he told the people in the chinese restaurant in Sunbury that he was 11 and got a discount - I remember laughing for 10 minutes straight when i heard that story.) And my god, he has the best set of hands that I have ever seen at such a young age.

I am so proud of that guy. And I agree about the showmanship award. He was a showman last season too. Fabulous job Nate - I couldn't take my eyes off of you in rehearsal. :)

WOW, have a response to just about every post on this..

Gil - Thanks for the kind words. This is the first post I saw on the show and the first non-biased opinion on the show. (Section 303 was Westshore members, family and friends, not quite objective :P .)

Strutta - thanks for the link to Fly. Hear about it at the party but hadn't searched yet. (First time on the net since before practice Sat AM.) Glad the PA National Guard didn't stop youze guyz :rolleyes:

Fran - Finally we meet! Hope next time it will more than just for a few seconds.

Liz - Missed ya again unless we bumped into each other at the (over priced) food line at the hotel :P

Jamie - my wife thought Nate was 12! OMG, look at the little kid...

I still haven't come down from the show for quite a few reasons. First performance in 19 years. First time my wife ever saw me play Drum Corps. She hung around the horn line while we warmed up and kinda got an idea of what goes on before a show. And in two weeks I go to Coatesville for my first ever Lancer show (had practice at the Hanover AL Post this afternoon).