Herndon, VA REVIEW

Hello all.

In this lengthy review: why premium seats aren't always, the resulting ethical dilemma, and why two porta-johns for a couple thousand people just aren't enough. Plus some thoughts on some drum corps.

THE WEATHER: Thunderstorms from around 5:30 to 6:30 cooled off the East Coast, probably gladdening the hearts of corps members who have been rehearsing in this very warm weather. However, it had an effect on the field conditions, thus having an effect on the seating conditions (see below.)

THE VENUE: Old wooden bleachers, quite a few of them, but I was a little nervous about my three year old. The show didn't get started until 8 PM due to the rain, and when it did, the announcer noted that "due to the inclement weather" the corps were playing ten yards to the left. This left the premium seating ($18 vs. 15 and 10) not so premium, as those who thought they'd be inside the 40 on the right side of the 50 suddenly found themselves outside the 40. The inclement weather really wasn't that big a deal - the rain wasn't that hard, it's just that the field was in awful shape. It was one of those deals where either soccer or track had used the football field in the spring, and they hadn't resodded early enough or at all, meaning there was this huge hole right about what would have been the ten yard line on the right side. Well, they solved it by moving the field over ten yards. This development leads to:

THE ETHICAL DILEMMA: I had arrived at 6:40 and bought two "reserved" seats for my son and I, just outside the 40, low, on the right side. When they bumped the corps over, I now found myself very low between the 25 and 30. Lousy seats. I had happened to notice earlier that there were very few people sitting low on the opposite side, which now was primo territory. So after the first corps, I availed myself of two of those seats, resolving to myself that I would certainly move if somebody arrived with those ticket numbers. No one did, and I sat at what was about the 45 and got great sound.

The question for you: was this ethical on my part? After all, the people who paid for premium seats didn't get to move to better seats. Did I pay for the seats I was assigned and was I obligated to sit in those two seats and those alone? Or should I have been able, especially considering the change in the corps location relative to me, to creatively handle the situation as long as I didn't infringe on anyone else? Reply and let me know; I can certainly handle either answer.

Oh yeah, there were some drum corps shows.

LEHIGH VALLEY KNIGHTS: Debut show for this young corps, playing challenging music which has the double whammy of being familiar to many drum corps fans, being music also played in the "We are the Future" show of Cadets 2000 fame. Inspiring to see such young kids playing drum corps. They certainly are the future. Met Chris Maher of corpreps.com; he pointed out his fourteen-year old son to me as they passed on retreat. 2nd Div II/III: 55.45.

MAGIC OF ORLANDO: Someone reviewing this corps' show earlier said that they weren't that impressed with it, given the staff that Magic was fielding. I couldn't disagree more. Of course, Magic doesn't sound like BD yet and doesn't march like Cadets. They shouldn't be. They're just back fielding a corps. In fact, what Sacktig, Gino and company are doing is tremendous; they are refusing to give the corps more than they can handle. The brass is not overplaying, the visual is clean, but the kids don't have to run around, and they are getting a great foundation for the future. They don't need to be the Cadets yet. They're in Division II. Watch out in two or three years; with this foundation, they'll be tremendous. The show itself has a lot of good impact points, but it's not finals material. Nevertheless, for where it will be placed in the context of shows, it is extremely satisfying. The guard does some good work too which should not be overlooked with the proficiency of the horn line. 1st Div II/III: 77.60.

KIWANIS KAVALIERS: The masks that the corps wear (really sort of visors over the eyes of the corps (and I think the guard as well) makes the corps look imposing as all get out. I think that's the first time I've used "imposing" and "Kiwanis Kavaliers" in the same paragraph. I really like their show idea of superheroes. They perform it pretty well; when the horns have to play melody lines instead of impact points they sound a little thin, but hey. Recognizable music and the look make this a show I want to see again if I can. 5th Div. I: 59.65.

SPIRIT OF JSU: I saw this from the side, since I had to take my three-year-old son to the bathroom, and he wasn't about to wait in line for the two porta-johns, so I had to run and find my way into the school and use a bathroom inside. By the time we got back, Spirit was playing. Even from the side, I could tell this is not a finals show this year. They play and march and spin well enough, but that's all. It is simply not a memorable show by any stretch of the imagination. But this should not take anything away from the perfomers - again, I think they're playing well enough. They just need a better vehicle. As Crown adds, they'll pull away. Fourth Div. I - 69.30

CAROLINA CROWN: I have been critical in the past of Crown's show design. Granted, I was low, but I like them much better this year. The guard unis and flags work really well together color wise, the mythology props (Zeus's lightning bolts, Cupid's arrows, the Medusa snakes) work also, and the music, including Samuel Barber's Medea, are appropriate and well played. A couple beefs. One: during the ballad, when the brass forms an aisle, and the men in the guard kind of leap their way through it to where the rest of the guard is, then duck behind a screen for no particular reason, it doesn't work. I have to assume there's something more there. Second, I wish they would do something more with a Medusa motif in the closer. Some of the guard carries some pretty realistic looking snakes which I suppose are supposed to be reminiscent of Medusa. How about some big serpent flags? I hear from Chris there are more props coming (ugh). 3rd Div. I: 70.65

CROSSMEN: Watch out Phantom and Glassmen. This show is much more demanding visually and musically wise than last year's seventh place offering, and it's also better executed. The key will be this: can the Crossmen get the opener, "Heat of the Day," to groove effortlessly and consistently by finals week? If so, then look for them possibly to debut the TV broadcast. Of course, I haven't seen either Phantom or Glassmen, but Crossmen look great and deserve the scores they're getting. Some phasing problems tonight in "Heat of the Day:" again, this will be key. Bones are marching what I believe is the only flugelhorn section in DCI this year: five horns which have some very tasty but extremely exposed parts, including the opening soli in both the opener and the ballad. They were a little bit tentative tonight: they need to be spit-clean. The program as a whole is enormously satisfying. The horn line packs a wallop - those who say they cover the drums too much at times are right I believe. The guard is very aggressive and use these great ten-foot poles in the balllad: when they spin them at the push, the reflections from the lights make this wonderful effect. Strawberry Soup works. Ten years after I marched, my heart still goes faster when they take the field; and it's especially great to see them doing so well this year and over the past few. Second Div. I: 77.40

CADETS: You know, the '40s style dresses and suits are so classy on the guard. They really do look and dance like the cast of a Broadway musical. This show is excellent and works on a story level so well. Church-like silence from the crowd at the end of the ballad, when the boys have changed into soldiers ready for war. Everybody loves the jitterbug. The percussion and the brass play so clean and loud during "Boogie Woogie Bugle." The finale is all one could ask for. Unfortunately, I believe no one can catch Cavaliers this year, but this will be a Cadets show to remember nonetheless. They are all that and a piece of apple pie, and that's before the changes. 1st Div. I: 81.50

Full retreat with America/O Canada - new arrangement with a little more frilly stuff thrown in for mellophones; everyone sounded a little tentative.

No encore by Cadets "due to the late hour." Some boos. To be expected. It was about an hour later than people had planned.

May be the only show I can attend this year. Heck. It really sounds and looks like it's shaping up to be a great one. I can dream - and live vicariously through the Internet.

Chip,

I don't think changing seats is unethical at all. No one showed up with the tickets.. you were willing to move if someone had.. no harm, no foul. You basically paid the show sponsor the reserved price and used their general admission seat.. they never sold that extra seat... so all's fair in love and war.

Don't sweat it..

Now if you had gone back and asked for your money back, I would say that was going a little overboard..

thanks for the great review!