A (not)Normal, IL Review

Troopers:

It was good to see “America’s Corps” live and in person again this year. The first half of their show looks terrific. The sound is a little rough, but that’s to be expected. Then came the second half. While not as up to par as the first, the second needs a lot of work overall, not to mention the drill for the ending. I was so bummed to see them standing there playing the last of their show. They had 5 snares tonight. The perfect number for a corps this size. I don’t want to nit-pick to much since it’s only their second show. So the best of luck to you Troopers, you are awesome.

Pioneer:

Note to Pioneer: Get more horns, or lose a snare drum or two. Both were fighting each other as to who could be the loudest. With a snare line of 7, they were just too over powering for a corps that size. Musically, the show has potential. It’s just to bad that the prop tables took so much away from it. They were just way to distracting. Also, who’s idea was it to put the pit at midfield? I could barely hear them. Their uniforms have started to grow on me. But there is still something wrong with them. I think it’s the plaid sash.

Southwind.

I apologize for the review of this corps. It’s hard for me to say anything about them because i kept going in and out of their show. I did like their first drum feature with the old sling style drums. That was very original and entertaining, kudos to them.

That’s about all i can remember. Sorry.

Colts:

Got robbed. I had this corps placed above Blue Knights. This corps never fails to amaze me. They just keep getting better and better every year. It’s always a pleasure to see this corps. Personal opinion: I love their uniforms but I think they would look better in black pants. Musically this was a terrific show. A lot of toe’s were tapping and a lot of heads were bobbing during their opener. It would be a shame to leave this corps out of finals.

Blue Knights:

“What’s up with those color guard outfits?” says my dad. “That’s what everyone is asking” i replied. Taking weird to a whole new level. I did like their uniforms, very different and refreshing. I never was a fan of their gray pants. This shows was just odd. I got into some of it but not all of it. I don’t think I would start comparing them to Star of Indiana though. It’s a hard show to comment on. I’m undecided about this show so far.

Bluecoats:

Love the uniforms, so classy looking. Madison might not have been here but the coats did a great job of entertaining the crowd in their place. Funniest moment of the night is when the soprano player is playing his solo and an extremely attractive guard girl comes up and slaps his rear end. I almost spit out my water on that one. It reminded me of the colts sop./ guard thing from their 1997 show. Their show seems to be coming along nicely. Could be a 7th place year for them.

Phantom Regiment:

Third place....they got robbed. (well someone had to say it). Clearly the (away from) home town favorite. They owned the field from the minute they stepped on to the last cut off. Simply an amazing show. I have a feeling that their horn line won’t get the full credit they deserve until a few years later. This is an extremely loud phantom. I think they sold their show better than anybody tonight. The color guard wasn’t exactly on tonight, but that's fixable. Alright I’ll say it, but I’ll get a lot of grab for it. I’m starting to like their uniforms. I only wish that they would put the small mirror circle on their helmets for that extra “shimmer” effect like the Bluecoats have. I could go on and on about this show but i won’t. This has the potential to be a top 4 show. CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN!!!

Glassmen:

Taking the word boring to new places. Now don’t get me wrong. The flugal horn solo was absolutely gorgeous! Major props to the snare line for using Mylar heads. It’s nice to actually hear a “snare” sound again. Musically it is a demanding show, but if you don’t get into it right away you’ll find yourself wondering who’s performing next. What’s up with this corps and squatting? It looks like they need to go to the bathroom. Also, I think I’m going to start calling them the Ying-Yang corps. What happened to their uniform? Apparently “Boring” has struck the uniform too. Once again the triangle is blackened out making it look like its just black and then white. I know that there is a mirror there, but I never saw it. Please, bring back some color to your uniforms!!

Cavaliers:

Alright, I came into this show with high hopes. I was majorly let down. Lets take away all the glitter and fancy words. Basically, they are getting rewarded for counting out loud and break dancing. What’s with the guard? They dance around with PVC pipe for almost a quarter of the show. I did however like the clicking of the valves in time. Overall though, the show was very Un-cavalier like. If I were to have heard an audio recording of their music and told to guess the corps, Cavaliers would have been the last thing I would have picked. It’s a very demanding show, there’s no doubt about it. They play it very well and it’s well executed. But, what happened to the old Cavaliers? The one that played Copland, Bach, and Stravinsky? Music that we all knew and could hum along with? Im probably the only one that doesn’t like this show, *shrug* oh well.

I apologize for my review. I don’t go to shows just to nit-pick. I go for the overall experience. And that’s what my reviews are based off of. If the drumline stands out, then I may comment on them. If the color guard caught my attention then, that’s what I remember.

I think we actually attended the same show. So often I read these reviews (and the results of the judges) and wonder if I was at the same contest as the reviewer. It's nice to know somebody shares my opinions.

Like you, I was a bit disappointed with Cavaliers. The show is very clean and well executed but I don't find much depth. Plus, I wonder how much more they could have plagarised SCV with their big breakdancing/chant number. I also don't see this show as a big difference from last year...kinda like Four Corners with Rounded Edges.

Glassmen also have a show that seems to be directly derivitive of their last effort. It's extremely well done but leaves me cold.

My favorite show of the night was Phantom, who will undoubtedly wind up somewhere behind Cavaliers, BD, and Cadets simply because they're NOT Cavaliers, BD, or Cadets.

:lol: Let's not start with PR is behind Cavs, BD, and Cadets just because of their name or reputation. Those corps are better and have been for a few years....and that's all there is to it. PR is very good this year (most I've enjoyed them in a few years), but they aren't designing championship caliber shows like the others mentioned. Were you implying that the drum corps community (which includes judges) keeps PR down? That's the way it sounded to me....sorry if I interpretted that wrong.

DW

I'm just glad that you were honest with your review.....if you would have sugar coated your opinion, then I would have wondered...I can't wait for DCM....sounds like Cavies show is rather...interesting.