A (not)Normal, IL Review

HEH heh heh, oh yeah. i forgot to add.....

The Biggest "whoops" of the night:

Doesn't go to anybody in any corps....it goes to the audience itself.

I guess some people lost track of time during Southwind's performance. After they finished playing March Slave about 1/5 of the audience stood up for the ovation. They thought that was the end of their show. Turns out there were a few more minutes and a song or two left to play.

Whooops!

maybe it was a geniunely great performance...

or was it more of a "hey, thanks for playing, now get off the field!" sort of an ovation...?

• 2 weeks later...

i'm really late in joining this thread, but i have to say that i agree about the cavaliers. i was at Normal, too. phantom's show should take first or second in Madison. and they should have gotten at LEAST second in Normal. Colts got screwed too. why? because the cavies bought Darren's Dance Grooves and incorporated it into their overrated show. it wasn't a *bad* show, and it was very well executed. but certainly not deserving of first or second. or even third. it just goes to show you what a name will do.

wow....that is the first I've heard of that....thanks for your honest opinion.

i understand that some of the music has changed in the cavies show. I haven't heard it since Normal.

But man, visually it is awesome. But musically it was a sleeper. It will be interesting to see how much people end up liking it when the CD's come out and they can only listen and not see.

Kinda like star 93. Freaking awesome to watch on Video. Just kinda "Ok" to listen to in the car...

Personally, i liked the 97 Firebird show 10 times more than this year....

But then again what do i know, im just a snare drummer....

I love listening to '93 Star in the car....it's kinda fun when you can actually visualize everything in your mind....(how many of you do their little tilting of the head/body when that part comes in the music)

An interesting point was raised (which deserves a thread of its own) when someone said "I can't wait until the CD's come out and I can listen to the music..." Others have expressed similar opinions when they state that certain music didn't become familiar or accessible to them until they listened to it several times on CDs. Herein lies one of the biggest problems with the activity: We, as die-hard fans, have numerous opportunities to see shows and to purchase CDs which we listen to time and time again. The average fan in the stands attends one show and walks away going "huh?" after hearing Cavies all-original music, or Glassmen's dissonant approach, or BK's take on Barber. Sophistication has its place, but it can be carried too far.