Herndon, VA Review

First there was a rain delay for an hour. Spirit performed the National Anthem. Very mature sound for them at this point in the season, Really set the stage for a great evening.

The Old Guard opened with some patriotic music. They performed a great deal of high mark-time and 'old school' drill. They were very entertaining to watch and extremely proficient. I am not a fan of Drum and Fife... but they were a nice addition to the show.

Division II/III

Lehigh Valley Knights debuted tonight. Heard bits and pieces of their warm up. Drumline sounds very mature (as does the monsterous pit), they are definitely improved over last season. On the field the corps is tackling a program that is very difficult, but written smartly. There were a great deal on collisions and missed attacks/releases, but as they get a few more shows under their belt, those will quickly disappear. The three backdrops (which 2 fell due to wind) shrink down the field in a way to maximize the corps size. There are a lot of smart things happening design wise. The colorguard uniforms really stand out from the corps, match the show and are beautiful! This corps is well on it's way to a II/III Semifinalist showing.

Magic of Orlando. This show has a great deal of emotional impacts. The brass have a presense that most aren't used to hearing from a Division II corps this early in the season. Magic is performing extremely well, but the emotional impacts that are built in aren't reaching full potential yet. This is a good thing, as the corps is cleaning very nicely, all parts of the show are well designed, so once the membership really start understanding their performance... it will carry. Magic definitely has a shot at not only the Division II crown, but also Semifinals. Magic won't be able to walk away with that title, as there are several strong showings in Division II this year, including a VERY hungry Capital Regiment.

Division I

Kiwanis Kavaliers. The corps added their superhero black hoods tonight. This corps is TOOOOOOO black. The corps is in black, with black hoods and black guard outfits. Considering that only small portions of this show are 'dark' the uniforms really stick out as misplaced. Even the guard in a brighter color would help this show a great bit. The gold in the uniforms is nice, but not enough. This show is very nice. I never thought stringing together a ton of cartoon superhero themes (and a great use of the Batman Forever theme to start the show into the SUPERFRIENDS theme), but this show is great. The corps runs out of gas about 3/4 of the way through, but once they build their tour chops, this corps has the potential to a return to Semifinals. My one design complaint is that the last minute of the show (while scored nicely) is VERY anticlimatic. The corps builds into the main title from Danny Elfman's Batman score.. impacts greatly and then throws in a new theme and a recap... my suggestion is to take the Batman theme and drive it home ala 92 Magic. Maybe even bring the capes out for the ending. The Merger with Tampa bay was a VERY good idea... may have even saved KK!

Spirit. Ok, I really REALLY want to like this show. The ballad is hauntingly beautiful, the guard uniform is my favorite from any corps the last 10 years or so, the guard is drastically improved over last year (as is the design), the drumline is incredibly good, the brass have a dark presence we haven't heard since maybe Petroushka... but... the show doesn't have all the highs and lows I have expected from a Top 12 contender. If this show had a little more variety (as the opener and closer present the same ideas with variations in music) it would maximize the potential. Right now the corps is in a STONG suit for a return for the Top 12... but the design of other corps may hold them back. I just hope there are some rewrites in suit to bring out the talented musical level that the performers of Spirit have.

Crown. I may be an alumni, but I can still watch my corps with an open mind. What I like: Opening into Fanfare (esp once the horns can double their volume on impact), Drill design overall, Javelin, One Day I'll Fly Away, guard color choice, Best hornline for Crown ever, and possibly the best drumline (but definitely best drum book). What I think has the potential to be great: Medusa once it's given more of a powerful ending and the dynamics are stretched in both directions. What I am not fond of: The opener... there have been some changes to it since last week, and the level of performance is very strong, but doesn't seem to carry across the ZEUS theme. Now the lightning bolt "rifles" are very cool. I just keep thinking that maybe Stormworks or something would be a strong music seleciton. The 2nd Essay, while dark and brooding, doesn't have the rythmic drive that I think Zeus needs. The rest of the music selection is great for the show. I may be the only one that likes the When a Man Loves a Woman section, but you HAVE to follow the main guard member and the love scene between 2 guard members to understand. Can't wait to see the props that help add to the theme. The guys in the guard in Togas didn't bother me, but the 2 that had the full tank top did look like they were wearing dresses... that isn't effective. Crown will definitely end their season with a higher score than last season.

Crossmen. Well you guys one a new fan. My best friend (who thinks the height of entertainment is 3 days of NASCAR) couldn't sit still during this show. He was shocked when Cadets won. His thoughts 'well Cadets are showy, but doesn't work, ya know? But Crossmen, they are shoving this show down your throat! it Rocks!'. Crossmen finally have a top 4 Drill. Every section is performing at their highest level ever. This show from start to finish is designed with the audience in mind, with sophistication. My only complaint is the beginning of 'Candle' was really rough with the brass... maybe some new thoughts there. Poles during that number were very effective.. never thought they could be that nice during a BALLAD! Drumline kicks major tail and the guard is just WOW. Strawberry Soup IS the best arrangement of this piece ever... This show has the potential to really throw down some scores.. once they clean, Cadets may not be the Top YEA! corps anymore

Cadets. I hate to say it.. where are the props? From the start of this show they were needed. The ballad and Boogie Woogie are very nicely arranged and effective, but On the Town and the Closer need some rewrites. There were some nice moments in the 'story'. The use of male guard members (ala 95) was very nice and brought the story across. The guard has to be their most talented ever. Not sure if they were using show flags tonight or not... solid blue, solid red? The drumline wants their title again this year and the brass are very strong (not as strong as the last 2 years, but very nice). For the first time in years, the drill didn't grab me (Unlike Crossmen, who are moving more like Cadets then the Cadets). The New York Memories section doesn't really build and grab me like the Land Race did in 95 (and same with On the Town versus the Reivers). The Iwo Jima pose and the rifle drop spins are no where near as well staged as they were in 1995. Seems like they were thrown in as a memory rather than a new idea. This show just doesn't grab me yet, and I think it will. I am not always the biggest Cadets fan, and it usually takes many viewings before I like them (except 92, 96 and 2000)... so I will be anxious to see where they go. The potential for a title is there... moreso from performance than design. Don't think Cadets will be any lower than 3rd or a slight chance at 4th.

thanks for the great review.....grew up west of Herndon in Winchester....use to compete against Herndon sometimes.....