DCA Binghamton (Sounds on the Susquehana)

Well, first off I have to say I didn't get in to the stadium until the third to last corps, Reading, while watching this show it occured to me that every senior corps has like adopted a dci corps style (Brigs-BD, Hawthorne-Madison, Bucs-SCV). Pretty tight show. Not as cleaned up as Brigs but entertaining for the most part. Should be right up there with Brigs come Scranton. DRUMLINE OBSERVATIONS: Caught these guys in the lot, so these are based upon what I saw in the parking lot, NOT the show on the field. Interesting. When I marched DCA in 2000 this was THE basskine to march in, the best of DCA. Now, not anymore. It was the first show so I'll give them a break but... Why, WHY march 6 basses when all 6 aren't really good, strong players. Snare section was ok, dirted out some easier roll sequences pretty baddly. Quads were average, nothing extremely special.

BRIGADIERS: Neat-o, cool, cool show. Based upon Picasso the corps sets up a "picture frame" that the guard performs inside at the begining of the show, which shifts into a rhombus and then into a tight solid form and impact. This show I feel is best Brigs design product yet (Followed by 2000 and 2001 of course). Entertaining show with a loud hornline (The loudest of the night) good guard, and strong drumline. The quadline will be turning heads again... which brings us to... DRUMLINE OBSERVATIONS: Caught these boys in the lot as well. First observation was that 4 of the 5 quads from the Brigadiers phenomonal quadline from 2000 are back in the quadline. This will be THE PREMIERE quadline in DCA, be prepared to watch these guys smoke. Snareline has had 100 percent turnover since the 2000 season. Bassline has at least 3 returning members from last years bassline. Snares sounded a little wet, not ticking, but sounded a little wide due to it being the first show of the season and the new Dynasty drums (Just like Magic's new Dynasy drums), another snare thing, only 7 snares, small for Brigs who marched 9 in 2000 and if my memory serves me correctly 10 last year. Drum solo consists of (among other things) snares playing on some toms up front, a'la BD of the mid-90's. Basses in the lot didn't sound completely on top of things but come show time were on fire. smoking phrased fours got some recognition (Which, being a bass drummer I always love) good bassline. All in all the Drumline and corps as a whole look great, especially with this being show #1.

MAGIC: First thing first: the posture and basic pressence that a junior corps brings to the field is completely different than that of a Sr. corps, it was interesting having marched in and observed both before to see both of them back to back. I downloaded the MP3 the othernight and didn't really like it all that much. But accompanied by the visual aspects of the show I like it. I know alot of people have been saying top 12 and this or that about Magic and to tell you the truth I don't know. I don't think they are going to be in Finals on Saturday (Maybe in exhibition) They are really reminiscent of '98 Tarheel, when Tarheel Sun marched 128 members and went undefeated on Div 2 sheets till the show before finals week (Who then went on to place 4th in Div 2 finals 3 shows later). The guard looks extremely young, lots of high schoolers. The hornline had 6, or maybe 7 holes during the show, according to the souvie booth 3 holes are open and a few members were sick. There are also 3 guard spots for this year's Magic. Though much of the visual is kind of easier follow the leader type, a'la Brigadiers, or Blue Devils there were a few moments that had the DCA visual judge (Who was sitting next to me for Orlando, saying "Yeah" or "Nice") Orlando has an entertaining package, but it doesn't seem to be the Magic of old like Magic 98, or even 99. Anyways onto...DRUMLINE OBSERVATIONS: Guess what, caught these kids in the lots too, Snareline is good. With 9 snares Mandarins line seems extremely small in comparison. Not super clean but for 9, good job. Clean for Div 2 standards, but top 12 in drums, I don't think so. Quads, pretty good, not horrible, not great. Seemed like they were not really placing the notes during the double/triple excersize and kind of letting the mallets fall at will. Basses were in my opinion pretty strong. Bass 4 was deffinently the new guy on board. Bass 5 was late on a couple final hits, but it's still pretty early in the season. Some nicely phrased runs in the show for the bassline. Drums 1 and 2 had a tradeoff roll and got it most of the time. Snareline had some vibe, which is a good addition to any line. Please understand I am not dissing on anyone, just stating MY opinions.

~Quint

Sorry, Bushwackers was the first show that I saw. Not Reading Bucs, explains why I thought they were doing baddly, on the contrary this line looks pretty good for a bushwackers line.

Thank you very much,you have a very nice drum corps.

J :D