Clifton NJ, another Cadets victory.......

Clifton NJ, June 29th 2002.

Well, after getting some sleep....I was off to Clifton, dead tired still, but if BD is here then I am there.

Hot out, but not nearly as humid as it could or should be.

Tonights line-up was generally the same as last night but without the Lehigh Valley Knights. This review will be of Clifton with a little Lansdale thrown in.

As I was entering the stadium to catch Cadets practice...a few things were going through my head. Crossmen are getttng a great start, probably the most ready they have been since 1992, they have a show that can take them far, but how will this fare for my Devils ?? Cadets are also more prepared than usual, and they have some schmalz that is really doing what it is supposed to do, it is fun to watch, and those kids are performing the heII out of it !

BD is at a defecit right now, but this might be a good thing, it will make them hungry, can they pull it off ? My how I can not wait to hear Spirit again. They have by far the most intriguing, beautiful musical book of the slate, and I can't wait to get another show under my belt so I can become familiar with it. Crown, that guard is hideous, what a waste of a concept.

I walked around a little, had a chat with Jimmy Steele of Spirit, what a pleasure that was. A classy man representing a classy corps...this corps is going places, mark my words !!!!

Then bumped into Jeff Mitchell and had a nice chat with him as well, all of us "Jeff's " have got to get together soon !! LOL

Folks: The G vs Bb debate is just about dead and buried in my book. The brass lines of yesterday and today are loud, melodic, deep, and rich......!!

Jersey Surf opened the show tonight with the music for Earth, or something like that. A good performance that will only get better in time. Music is accessible, and the drill highlights it well. One major bad point, Guard is hideous....the men put on pink Tutu's in "I feel pretty" ...umm, why ?? I thought there was Maria character, and a Tony character ?? do you boys want to be women ?? Did the desing team think it was funny ?? well, Im here to tell you that nothing but groans and pathetic laughter came out of the stands tonight..It's not funny, it's stupid..sorry but it was just as harsh to watch it, as it might be to hear what I have to say.

Kiwanis Kavakiers were next, and a better performance than yesterday.

Corps is big, 10 snares. Masks don't help, it makes them all look short and frumpy. Brass needs to project more to the box, but I think that will happen as they grasp their show a little more. Good , mature sound, and a good drill...full of highlights, and once cleaned will have many "wow" moments !

Carolina Crown then took the field. You know, it's funny, last year they had about one hundred useless props on the field to try and sell their show. This year, they have a concept which could be outstaning, yet it seems no research was done to try and capitolize in it. Their "Greek Gods" show sadly goes nowhere right now, and the guard, instead of enhancing the package, sre just plain silly.

Brass plays well as does percussion, the drill is typical Carolina "cookie cutter" drill, good, but nothing great, as of yet. The colorguard ?? Who is responsible for these outfits ?? They should be bannished to hte galopigos islands for eternity. They do not in anyway look like Togas or anything the Greek civilization might have worn. Those colors were NOT used to make clothing for the Greeks, or the Gods....They look like finnished products used to complete the "fashions by Singer sewing" catalogue...hideous, emasculating, and too thin....no draping fabric at all....WHITE is where it's at, why no headpices ?? why no Sandals ?? Run as fast as you can to Wal-mart and buy something, ANYTHING to get rid of these...and why is lightning now artsy and curvy ?? and Medusa had snakes in her HEAD not in her hands !!......harsh, yes but not nearly as harsh as the scores of people tskk'ing and shaking their heads in the stands......The show has potential, but I dont see them back on top of Spirit anymore.

Sprit took the field next, and took they did with confidence, and a presence not seen in this corps in a long time. What ever I write next will not do this corps justice, you have got to see it and hear ot for yourself.

So, not a fan of wind ensemle ?? I don't blame you...Not a fan of "modern" drum corps and wish for hummable meldies chock full of emotion ? who isn't and who doesn't, well......Spirit delivers all that and a bag of shells.

First off, Kudos to the staff in a major way for designing what might possibly be their best gaurd outfit ever, burgundy with highlights of I think Gold, but.....but....they unravel throughout the show to reveal colors, graduallt getting lighter to enhance the theme(beautifully) of Darkness into light. Opening silks have colors from the corps uniform and the guard uniform blended perfectly...what a well written show, I can't get enough. Flags throughout the show keep getting lighter too, and these girls, these beautiful girls can spin their butts off....WOW !!

And you should see what they can do with a rifle !

Brass is playing with such confidence and emotion right now Bb sound is so sweet and rich...loud, yet dynamic. Melodies are presented well, and enhanced by an outstanding drum line.

The second number is as beautiful as any ballad out there.....a little more fast paced than a true ballad, but you WILL want to hear it again, and again.

This show is by far the most difficult they have had in a long time, and the key difference here this year over last is they are grasping it, selling it and having a ball playing it !! ....See ya' Saturday night Spirit !!

After a break, Crossmen came out. They set up with the brass in the top right corner, the guard lined up on the left end zone, one guard member in the middle of the field, and the percussion up front and in the back. As the pit begins it's stuff, the brass slithers in towards the center, the guard also moves towards the center.....then, bang !! rich, full brass sound, and my GOD....who is this corps ???? This is the Crossmen, and mark my word, they will be near the top this year.

The main thing that stands out at first viewing is the intricacy in the visual program, the second is how well the kids have taken the challenge to master this program...it's 6/29, but they are in mid July form.

This program reminds me alot of 1999 SCV, it's fast moving, fast paced, in your face, and it is awesome !!!!

They took the best elements of Blue Devils, SCV, and Cavaliers combined and melded them into something even better, and identinty all their own that they started last year.

Brass is using brand new set of Bb horns and you can tell the difference, in a majorly good way !! Close your eyes, you would think it was BD !!! this is a good thing...

Second number is pretty, Guard uses thick silver poles to full efect during this number....crowd uses ooohs and ahhhs, to full effect also.

Strawberry Soup is both Loud and subtle, keeping tru to the arrangement, yet becming a piece defined by this corps. As good if not better than the 93 BD/Madison offerings.

Guys, they can haul out there...this drill just doesnt stop.

Crossmen:Listen up, if you can clean thos show like nobodys business,and then sell that cleaned product to full effect, you truly can be the next DCI champion !!! No, I haven't seen Cavies yet, but this show has it all, there is enough depth in this show to take it all !!

Blue Devils were next....and before they entered the field they gave a huge yell at the back !! Yup, Devils are hungry, not winning a show is NOT characteristic of BD, and they know it.

The Guard is huge,and they dare you not to watch them as they set up, and prepare. Guard outfits have grown on me so quickly, they are becoming one of my favorites...This BD guard is already the best they have ever had by far. They dance, they toss, they spin, they use hair for full effect. and they take command of the field and never let go !!

Tonights performance was miles ahead of Lansdale in both an execution, and emotional standpoint.

Arrangements are fast paced, full of energy, and brassline really stepped up tonight, Vintage BD styling here. Percussion can lay down some notes....Music is very hummable not "chopped up" or "butchered" as some have said. This corps was ON tongiht...they wanted victory...it's coming,and it will happen, there is just too much in this show and as soon as they can master it, make a few changes and sell it....watch out !!

The introduction to Channel one suite is actually quite good, very suspensful, inovative, and melodical, you know it's coming, but you just don't know when. I can tell, and I heard there are changes in the works, and a new ending is on the way, but what they have now is very good, this is a really solid show full of demand, and full of GE....once they master it and sell it....w-a-t-c-h o-u-t !!!!

I was sure they were going to take the lead tonight, until..........

On came Cadets.....Excellent opening drill sequence, Guard is on FIRE, and the movment fits so well, it is excellent.

Brass is quality, sound is layered with rich, deep,(yes those two words again) tones, and they are executing rather well for this time of year.

Cadets are on top of things this year, Drill is being performed well, as is the playing by both percussion and brass......

Sylvester & co have done a good job integrating the total package this year.

The 95 boxes are back, so is the war theme.....as much as I want to say "no way" or "too schmalzy" or "again" ?? I can't......I absolutely love this part of the show, Boogie Woogie bugle boy is a show stopper, I saw some babies flying towards the field, and the kids are having such a good time performing this show, you just HAVE TO BE CONVERTED !!!!!!!!

It's excellent and I got goosebumps tonight !!

I could live with out the "Iwo Jima" re-enactement, but...wow, what a total show !!!

Blue Devils can, and I think will overtake this show, but I hear changes are coming from both camps.

Well, thats all there is to say now, agree, disagree, it's ok.....all corps seem to have taken a note and are playing more accessible music this year, all corps are of a higher quality than last year..so far,

Brass lines are LOUD this year, and I dont mean overblowing, shows are being designed to be loud, and hte Bb are just as good as the G.

I think whoever wins this year will be deserving of the prize.....

I see Spirit in the top12,at least...Crossmen makin a major step up, and BD and Cadets fighting for the big prize......

Later

Geoffrey

I was also at the show, and will add my opinions. Bear with me, this is my first ever attempt at a review.

Jersey Surf and Kiwanis: Sorry, got there late. NY Skyliners rehearsal must and will always come first.

I got in while Carolina Crown was performing, so I can't say much about their show. The brass seemed to be playing well, but I was ground level, at about the 20, so I really can't say much. But please, I agree with Geoffrey here, those outfits...poor guys...

Spirit: The brass did seem to be playing with emotion. Some individual breakdowns, such as feet phasing, but that's to be expected during June. The drill package seemed well thought out, and the guard, with some cleaning, will be top notch.

Intermission: Off for a sausage and pepper hero. Ran into Glen Johnson, Former NY Skyliners director and current Assistant Director with Surf. He told me that Surf had a decent show, much better than Waterbury, and they're still not finished with the show. I wished him well, and after checking out the souvies, walked back for the rest of the show.

Crossmen: WOW!!! If I didn't know better, I would have sworn that they were playing on G bugles. That's how much volume the hornline put out. It's obvious that the kids like this show, and they put their hearts and souls out on the field, and they got it back. While I'm not great at describing visual packages and such, this one seemed to be a very well designed show, designed to build on the strength of the corps. BD Better watch out. The Crossmen (IMO) is very capable of catching and surpassing them.

Blue Devils: I admit it. Even though I'm a huge Cadets fan, I've always liked the Devils. So, I'm watching them warm up (F tuning, for such a simple warm up, they manage to make it different) and I'm thinking what I heard isn't true, that they're gonna come out and blow me away. Well, sorry guys, you played well, but it didn't happen. Guard is huge, and has an interesting uni. In my opinion, the hornline, although they played well, and clean, didn't have the same intensity as the Crossmen. The drill seemed fairly clean to me as well, and left me wondering how much they can improve this drill..... Channel One....well, it's not 1986, thats for sure, but the snippets they used, and the tease for it was well done, and I did like it. If changes are in the works, maybe that'll help.

Cadets: DOUBLE WOW!!! Hoppie let the corps have fun this year. Yes, I tossed the nearest baby I could find after Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy. Their flag raising ceremony brought a lump to my throat, but, since I had friends that didn't survive the WTC, that happens. The brass was just as loud as the Crossmen. Maybe the new Bb's are designed a bit differently after hearing us complain about them. They marched their show very well, the played it very well, and I didn't see much in the way of mistakes, a couple of individual breakdowns. I could live without the drum sets, but it seems effective. I also hear changes are in the works for this show as well, and I wonder what they're gonna do with it.

Retreat: This was the first time I've heard America/O Canada live, and it's neat! :) Scores came out as I expected.

Encore: Cadets arced up, and then they started off with a small ensemble doing the theme to the Jetsons. Pretty cool. They then played Rocky Mountain Holiday, then Boogie Woogie. Way Cool. I managed to sneak into the middle for the impact, and it was great!

Walking out: As I was walking out, JSU was arced up, and they ripped into Georgia....oh man...loved every second of it.

So that's how it was from my seat. Hope this is a bit helpful. Maybe I'll get better at these... :) Unfortunately, this is probably the only DCI show I'll get to, as I do march DCA, and it's tough to do rehearsals and see shows.

mikemey, your review was just fine:) my question: do shows start too early? too many people arrive late; is it due to the Div 2/3's which usually open shows? is it because people only go to see XMen, BD, Cadets, etal? If i were in a Div 3 corps that faced a half audience.. then saw as the bleachers were overrun when XMen entered the field, I might feel a bit slighted. granted, I'd prefer to watch BD over Marion (barely. hehehe).. but for the prices they charge these days, I want my money's worth. but.. as long as no one bothers me during a performance, people are free to do as they choose. ;)^

ipecac,

>do shows start too early?

No, at least not at Clifton. I think 7:30 is reasonable on a Saturday.

>too many people arrive late

Yes. At the start of the show I looked down at the ends and was surprised at the empty seats. At intermission, I also looked down and couldn't believe how crowded it was.

Mike,

>If I didn't know better, I would have sworn that they were playing on G bugles.

No, they sounded better than that. ^0^

>Off for a sausage and pepper hero. Ran into Glen Johnson,

I hope you didn't spill and peppers and onions on him. :o

>JSU was arced up, and they ripped into Georgia

I heard it from a distance, as we were walking back to the car. What an incredible sound!

Great reviews, both of you.

Mike

>Off for a sausage and pepper hero. Ran into Glen Johnson,

I hope you didn't spill and peppers and onions on him. :o

The thought crossed my mind, but I behaved.

As to Ipecak:

No, 7:30 usually isn't an unreasonable time. I had rehearsal with my own corps that ended at 7:15. Rehearsal will always come before any show, so that's my reason for arriving late. I hate arriving late to a show, because the II/III kids deserve to have a crowd just as big as the Open class corps.

thanks to you both for the great review......for people like me who can't go to a lot of shows, I can see the show through your eyes....thanks!