BEST Mellophone mouthpieces?

rebu

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The old Benge/UMI Mello 6 is a great mouthpiece; however, on some of the new mellos you'll run into gap/receiver issues because the shank is short (that is, some of the newer mellos, e.g., the Yamaha YMP203M, take a trumpet shank). For these mellos, the Yamaha 14F4 is very good, I think; it feels and responds very similarly to the mello 6. The 'piece I am currently using is the Curry 1TF (double cup, short trumpet shank). No receiver issues in trumpet receivers, a good deep cup, and a medium sharp rim. The rim diameter is also a bit bigger than the mello 6 and the 14F4.

So I'm looking to buy a new mouthpiece to go with my 1 year used mellophone. Any Suggestions? :)

:) A 6V is the mouthpiece of choice by many and I believe used exclusively by the Cabs. I have used this mouthpiece for about 10 years now. It gives just the right COLOR (timber.....or whatever) to the instrument. If you just want range then I'd go with the 14A4A or a Rudy Muck......but you'll sound like a trumpet on steroids.

SMO! :)

I know that we play on UMI Mello 6 and it is such an awesome mouthpiece

Curious, what is the difference in this and a 6v? I do play on a G Bugle Dynasty though, two valved. I do notice that you guys play on heavier mellophone's these days almost like a marching French Horn. I took my horn to practice at Magic camp last week for a couple of the mello players to see what it's about and they really liked the sound. I will try my mouthpiece on todays horn tomorrow, will it work?

Edited by Lancerlady

In Devil's 91 us four mellophone's were using Warburton's,no idea of the model # ,but i do remember that they had a nice smooth rim that did'nt cut into your lip.Maybe someone could enlighten me to the model #,it was Soooooo lond ago my memory is fading.