DCA Stories Pre 1990

I have no old DCA war stories. One day I will, but not yet.

Post 'em here, old timers!!

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Post 'em here, old timers!!

Wazzat? You say you got "Toast'Ems here for the Cold Heiners"?

Well let me put my teeth in and see what I can do... :P

wow. my rookie year was 89. yet i stories back to 1962 lol.

thanks dad!

I gots no stories pre 1990 either. I gots stories from 1992 and up.

Back in my day, we'd warm up on the day of a show by walking 15 miles, then play nonstop for 10 hours, take a sip of water and then go out on the field and perform our show. And we LIKED it, dad-gummit!!!!!!

Fran

Flashback to practice with Empire in 87....we blast a chord....Crusaders answer from across town...shades of Colorado Springs in 84 (BD/VK)

that sounds AWFULLY familiar Sam...

That WAS kinda fun rehersal day in 84, wasn't it? Gotta love temperature inversions!

Bush and Sky used to practice right accross from each other in Bridgeport

Back in my day, we'd warm up on the day of a show by walking 15 miles, then play nonstop for 10 hours, take a sip of water and then go out on the field and perform our show. And we LIKED it, dad-gummit!!!!!!

Fran

And uphill BOTH ways.... :P

OK real question, when did DCA stop having Prelims and Finals on the same day? Some of the newer corps didn't have much time between Prelims show and Finals. Thinking Phoenix in '75 (last on for Prelims and #5 or so for Finals).

Hmmm, in 1976 we made #11 and got to be on the record. That year the #11 and #12 corps didn't do an exhibition show. They just were trotted out in front of the mikes and played a stand still before the people were left in the stadium. Anyway Guelph gets recorded and it's our turn. It's also 15 minutes before the stadium gates are due to be opened and there are a ton of people standing there already. The recording company is sweating bullets about the time and screaming at us to hurry the #### up so the gates can be opened. We stay playing and 15 seconds into the show our DM stops the corps and starts chewing out the soloist because he forgot to empty his spit valve (a common occurance) :P . The guy with the solo mike looks like he dropped a load in his pants and starts screaming at the DM about what the #### does he think he's doing. DM gives him a look that would melt glass and says "That's NOT going on the recording". We started all over again and the flood gates of people started coming in as we left the field.

Yep Westshore was on the way back, we got recorded and ###### off a few people along the way. B)