Info for the Red Carpet Association

Is Marianne Hanson here?

Does that name ring a bell to anyone?

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you mean Chuck's wife?

Did she march with the Diplomats from Johnsonburg,PA and was she the secretery to the president of the RCA?

If so, I have an article in the Jun 1976 issue of the Marching Musician about her.

Did she march with the Diplomats from Johnsonburg,PA and was she the secretery to the president of the RCA?

If so, I have an article in the Jun 1976 issue of the Marching Musician about her.

That's her,.................she married Chuck Lute, Thunderbirds DM from the compeditive years,..................they have two daughters, my guess would be they are both in college...................Chuck is a DCI and DCA judge, he may lurk here, tho I have never seen him post................

• 1 year later...
RCA Healthy Picture Article from the Feb 1975 issue of DCA

RCAHealthyPictureArticlefromtheJan1.jpg

What happened between the formation of the RCA in 1967 (if that article is correct) and the 1st championship in 1969? Lots of Corps must have folded as many of the "Charter Members" never made it to the 1st finals in 1969.

16 August 1969 Allentown, PA RCA Championships

1.Guelph Royalaires 73.40

2.Westshoremen Bonnie-Scots 73.25

3.Pittsburgh Rockets 66.35

4.Emmaus Sentinels 62.50

5.Erie Thunderbirds 60.70

6.Hanover Lancers 56.35

7.Esquires 48.55

8.Maumee Demons 38.40

9.Freestatesmen 33.15

10.Dunkirk Patriots 30.90

Edited by John Scott

In that article it stated that 1975 should be an interesting year for RCA....little did they know how interesting!

Donny

When Steve Vickers was putting together the first History of Drum Corps volume a couple of years ago I wrote a piece on the Red Carpet Association that I don't believe was ever published. Contributors to my research included Jeff Ream, Jeff Davis and Ron Allard. I also have a spreadsheet with all scores from the RCA shows. Here is the history article:

The Red Carpet Association was formed in the fall of 1968 as a circuit for senior drum and bugle corps, providing an alternative to the relatively new Drum Corps Associates circuit. The Red Carpet Association provided a competitive arena for corps that did not attain membership in the more exclusive DCA circuit on a competitive basis, or were not interested in being members of DCA for other reasons such as geographical location and the expense of traveling to DCA contests.

The Red Carpet Association sponsored contests and held a championship show each year from 1969 through 1977. The circuit included corps from Pennsylvania, Ohio, New York, Connecticut, Minnesota, Rhode Island, New Jersey, Maryland and Ontario, Canada.

From this earlier post it looks like RCA started in 1968 and not 1967 as per the clipping. Stll many of the "Charter Members" never fielded at the 1st championship.

1975 did turn out to be a fine year