Info for the Red Carpet Association

Tried this a year or so ago and got some info. Because more and more "stuff" seems to find it's way on the web, thought I'd try again. Tried "Red Carpet Association" on Google recently and got a lot more hits then previously.

For younger folks, the RCA was the Senior Circuit for smaller corps back in the late 60s to late 70s. Kinda like the Class A corps group that DCA has today. Usually the top two or so RCA corps made it in the top 10 in DCA. Some of the corps that beloged to both groups were: Matadors, Guelph, Westshoremen, Thunderbirds and a few others. (And apologies in advance for missing any one.)

Found buch of contest results on Ron Allards and Erie T-Birds sites and plan to scope out corpsreps in the future. Will also check for web sites of any RCA member corps. Does anyone know of other places for RCA info?

Thanks in advance...... Jim

PS - Dang just found a site for the Kawartha Kavaliers.. Whoda thunk it????

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think you'll do any better than Ron Allard's site.

Senior Corps Website

Go to the "Other Championship" drop-down and click on Red Carpet Association.

Thanks Glen I should have put in the link when I mentioned Rons site. Also if you go into the scores by decades area there are a bunch of show results for DCA, RCA, State AL and VFW. Just a bunch of Historic and forgotten corps listed.

What about the Hamburg Kingsmen, Dunkirk Patriots and Getzville Suburban Knights?

Oh. . and Jim. . .I remember a bunch of stuff about RCA but couldn't give even the remotest hint on where to find information.

Thanks Steve, think I'll root around this Spring/Summer and then start asking people for memories. I've got Bob Sprenkle down the hall from me in 409 and he's also good for a few "war stories". He loves telling non Drum Corps people about leaving the empty beer cans on the bus rolling around until they all end up in the door well. "Makes it a helluva lot easier to clean up that way. The bus driver opens the door and they all fall out." Also have some folks in Hanover who probably were around back then too.

the Erie guys have a bunch of RCA on their site i Believe.

the Erie guys have a bunch of RCA on their site i Believe.

Gary M and the Boyz have a bunch of scores that even Allard was missing. Someone must have taken a LOT of notes in the early days. ^OO^

Oh my, summer of '76 kept seeing the same old faces. Johnsonburg Diplomats, Hanover Lancers, Westshoremen, Hershey Chocolatiers... Then the T-Birds won the RCA Championship in Erie after taking EVERY caption....

PS - RCA Champs in '76 had TEN corps. :) Think the TBirds are the only group still competing :( . Off the top of my head 3 of the other 9 are Alumnis now (Westshore, Lancers, Guelph).

I can add MY 2 cents about RCA... it was born at a meeting/party whatever you want to call it, as a bar that no longer exists in Harrisburg called the (of all things)

Red Carpet Lounge!

Not sure of any other details other than that, I drove by the place for years and years, and never knew that Drum Corps history was made at a little bar about 2 miles from where I grew up!

(I forget who told me that, or where I heard it, but.....)