Santa Clara First Performance

I could go on and on about the practice and performance but, all I will say is the show and sound is a carbon copy of the Blue Devils. If you did a blind taste test you would not be able to tell the difference between the 2.

Hmmm....BD members on staff equates to BD sound, LOL! Okay.

How much of SCV sounds like Cavies? After all...the person who did the arrangements never taught BD.....but taught Cavies. Yes....Key did march BD....but has done an outstanding job teaching and arranging for other groups.

If SCV is not happy with Gino, a person who has had success with Cadets and Blue Devils, I'm sure SCV would replace him with somebody more suitable.

I think SCV is in an enviable position. They have an arranger and head brass instructor that have a history together going back 21 years. Both achieving success with different organisations!

Edited by bd5times

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cut and paste meant a choppy show. Not original stuff. You really can't help the shows repetitiveness because the original is like that.

I don't compare SCV to any other corp because I like to compare to what is the best. I also think that the other top corps have pretty close the same philosophy as SCV.

I am not bitter. I am glad that they have there stuff together. I think the show may be too easy to compete with the top corps but I am glad it is more accessible to the average fan. I brought my kids and the grand parents to the show and they all liked the music. That is a good thing. But they don't really know anything about corp.

I really like the Drumline!! The have "it."

The guard needs a lot of work considering they know maybe 30 secs of work and it is horrible. But, they are the furthest behind due to winterguard.

Being a professional trumpet player and marching in the Vanguards hornline for many years makes me really sad when I hear the "new and improved" hornline. They are not as loud as everybody makes them. They have a very forced fff. It really sounds like a big band playing classical music. Hence the comparison to the blue devils sound. There instrumentation is very questionable. Granted there are holes but I counted around 34 high brass 16 baris and 10 tubas. No euphs???? What gives there? I kept on waiting for that dark sound that SCV usually has and it never came. I would bet that would be half the problem. That, and the tubas are the size of many high school convertible tubas. When I marched those sections were the backbone of the horline. Now, they do not exist. The Baritones almost look like the old Mehanphones of the 80's. So, since most of the instruments are small you probably cannot get a good sound that will project with them. So, the arranger has to position everything up high in the register making it sound VERY bright. Its an inverted triangle of sound.

I know it is early but they were very out of tune. I almost killed myself when I found out that they tune according to temperature and have marks that everybody goes to as if every horn and player are exactly the same. When I marched in the 80's with SCV the staff members would mock the system. It is a system that only could be used with BD for some reason. I know they also tried that during the 90's when Dave Carico was there and it surely did not work then too.

Enough for now. I will wait for the haters to respond.

Edited by SCVFan222

Here's my take on what their show is like:

(I was at SCV's performance on Sunday, and then Monday I saw BD during rehearsal)

SCV- SCV's show I think will be something special. For the corps to have all their music and drill done before Memorial Day is a grand accomplishment. Kudos to the kids and the staff.

Their visual, from what I saw is not squeaky clean but hey...its June 1st. I also didnt have a high view of the field. I dont think they used as much of the field as BD (I'll get to them later). They do have a signature move in the opener that makes an appearance then at reappears at the end of the opener. (That move reminds me of the collapsing T in 99) Anyways...Their hornline is strong. Upper choir is putting out more sound than the lower choir right now. You can tell Gino is a great teacher. He expects nothing less than what he demands from the hornline. I.E. They did make some nice musical shaping progress during their rehearsal. The music I dont think sounds "cut and paste", but thats just my opinion. The opener starts with the main theme in the low brass then goes in to trumpet solo's for a brief moment. After that, they are out of the gates and marching at a brisk 180 tempo. After the opener, they have the ballad which is quite nice and lyrical. Then, the closer starts with a trumpet trio (possibly quartet), and then moves to the quick tempo again and that stays throughout till the end of the closer. I think the entire book is quite musical and has a nice flow to it. I believe there will be a story told by the guard. Drumline sounds good, and throws down some nice beats, especially in the closer. The snares sounded really good. But I'm a lowly horn player & I could be totally wrong. Again, it wasnt super clean, but you could tell that the drummers were diggin' their parts. Guard was good too. I cant wait to see the guard outfits. Also, I'm not too sure they are at the same level as BD's guard but its hard to compare so early in the season. My final thought: I expect this show to be a very crowd pleasing show. On par with the late 80's shows.

** Sidenote: I will also add I was extremely impressed with their rehearsal ettiquette. They are intense and very professional.

BD- I know that BD did their CD project in the morning and I missed that. I wish I could have sat and listened.

BD's show will be special as well just in a different way. I can only comment on what I saw for their afternoon rehearsal, and today BD only did a full run through of their opener. I dont know what the overall progress stands but I imagine they are at least half way to 3/4 through their show with their drill. I got to rehearsal at about 2:30pm and they were doing visual; rehearsing their ballad. After this the drumline took the field and the hornline warmed up off near the end zone. Then the drumline and hornline did some coordination together on the opener. From what I saw, the feet look good for this time in the season. Their marching technique is very nice from person to person. The hornline sounds full and balanced. No choir is overpowering the other. The drill looks good. At the begining of the show they utilize just about the entire field. The drumline starts all on the back sideline, and the hornline is broken up into blocks across the field. The drill in the opener is very BD. (I dont mean to make that sound good or bad, BD definately has their own style of drill) During the opener there is a cool zipper move the hornline does. The music is definately more percussive than SCV. Lots of horn hits and some wicked fast horn line runs are scattered throughout their opener. Their guard looked good B) . They were throwing up some high tosses with the rifles during that fast horn lick. Thats going to be a good GE moment. And the drumline seemed tight. (I wish I could tell you more about the drumline, but my knowledge is limited with all things drum). My final thought: As always, BD will be clean and super tight. I really think that their visual will be their strong point this year, not taking anything away from the hornline. We all know that BD always puts out monster hornlines.

** Sidenote: BD's trumpet soloists are very good. Their sound is very mature and they can sure wail. Double G's are solid and there was one double C that one of the soloists plays (At least I think it was a double C). They get a chance to showcase their talent in the opener.

Well, thats my take on the shows. Out of the two shows and what I've seen so far, I'd say I like SCV's show this year. Just my preference. Last year I really liked BD's show. Then again, there are a bunch of other corps out there. I cant wait to hear about the east and the midwest corps. How about some early season Memorial weekend reviews?

Edited by mrshowfan

SCVfan:

I agree with what you meant about the low brass sound that SCV usually has. They didnt put out that much sound yesterday and Gino really made them aware of that. Be that as it may, its still early, and I see them improving from a volume standpoint. Everyone tends to get more volume production throughout the season.

I see now what you mean about cut and paste. Yes the music is not groundbreaking, but I think that the average fan will enjoy it like you say.

I'm not too hip on the history of SCV's hornline sounding one way vs. another, I'll have to pull out some of the older CDs.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

I never thought I would have reason to chime in on this...but I'm real confused. SCVFan222 states that SCV has NO euphoniums. REALLY? If that's the case, then (if he or anyone else knows) if they switched back to all baritones, who made that decision? Would that come from Key or from Gino? Interesting development as I thought having the entire line on euphoniums really gave them a sonic impact I haven't heard before...

I never thought I would have reason to chime in on this...but I'm real confused. SCVFan222 states that SCV has NO euphoniums. REALLY? If that's the case, then (if he or anyone else knows) if they switched back to all baritones, who made that decision? Would that come from Key or from Gino? Interesting development as I thought having the entire line on euphoniums really gave them a sonic impact I haven't heard before...

SCV has been using Yamaha brass for a few months now...hence the lack of euphs. <**>

I miss the days of the all-Euph Vangaurd... :(

I almost killed myself when I found out that they tune according to temperature

Oh no,call the cops. :o :blink:

I said nothing about the missed notes and step offs. That stuff will go away. I understand it is May and I am glad they sorta have the whole show done.

I understand BD is not playing "Scheherazade" but if they were this is how they would sound. Where is the vanguard sound? Just listen to it yourself and you will here what I am hearing. If you have been around enough you will be able to tell right off the bat that it is not an scv sound.

It is a very segmented show. Sorta like the cut a paste show like bd does.

I'm sure you will come back to me and say I know nothing and have no clue but I was there not 3000 miles away, reading Internet posts.

Hmmm. I've been listening to SCV for about 30+ years and as such I consider myself pretty well acquainted with the Vanguard sound. I went to SCV family day yesterday and am extremely pleased to report that not only does SCV sound like Vanguard, they look and conduct themselves like Vanguard. I was extraordinarily proud of the corps yesterday and am really excited about their chances this year. I think the show is something special. They blew my hair back! IMO they have it all this year.

I also saw BD at their family day and they were excellent (as they always are) but I think they're gonna get a run for their money this coming weekend ... like a BIG DOG!

This is gonna be a great year for the Cali corps. I wish them both the best!