Santa Clara First Performance

Review time (wow---someone doing a review in this thread-OMG!)

I was lucky enough to attend both the BD and SCV family day. I will give my opinion on both. This is my opinion, and just that. No one take the review personal as I love both corps.

BD-In new uniforms, the uniforms don't quite have the mystique I associate with BD...I was a bit disappointed. The first minute or so of the show was a bit flat, and their version of "Summertime" lacked the substance (aka 'meat') that would really make this show stand out. The show seems a bit disjointed, and made me feel a litle uneasy.

With that being said, BD is BD and they will do fine this summer. The guard is great, the horns sound very balanced and the quality of the people is second to none. I am sure changes are on the way to give the show more impact.

SCV-Wow!

SCV came out and really performed their show. It needs some fine tuning, and the corps isn't too comfortable with this show yet, but it is exactly the show SCV needed after their 5 year rythmic 'jaunt' that left many people confused. The show has a ton of substance (wow---melody----wow---stunned---really stunned) and left me very impressed. SCV is going to be competitive this weekend, and for the first time since 1999, I am looking forward to the BD/SCV showdown.

With that being said, the guard has a pretty long way to go. To reach the top this year, the guard will need perform the heck out of their show and raise the level of showmanship and skill they exude. Right now, catches are not crisp and drops are fairly frequent.

That's all I have, for now...will post again on sunday night.

Edited by RenegadeBaritone

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic