Renegades May Camp

Well, as an outside observer, I spent the better part of the 2 days at Renegades May camp last weekend.

They are close to being finished with the field show. The design is much improved over last year. Full field coverage, which could tend to hurt them in some places. I noticed phasing between the baris and contras in Channel 7. Also some problems between the pods in Blue Sky. I am sure these minor problems will be resolved quickly.

Brass

is VERY!!! strong in all sections. Mellos and Frenchies are not up to last year's level (yet) but they are attempting to cut some difficult stuff I am sure with some extra rehearsal time and individual effort, they will be up for the task.

Contras, 10, will most likely capture a third straight title. They are cutting some unbelievable parts in Channel 7, and playing them well. When they need to be loud, they are LOUD...ouch.

Sops are really blessed, lots of talent with about 7 screamers including Laurrie Dastrup, Rich Duarte, and former Brigs Soloist of the Year, Roland Garseau (sp). It looks like Hall of Famer, Frank Dorritie, might join in the fun also.

Baritone line is probably the best DCA line I have ever heard. Super talented from top to bottom, all 22 of them. What they cut, most lead sop lines would not attempt. Doug "Pooh Bear" Kenyon has an outstanding bari solo in Good-by Blue Sky, I think he hits a triple high E or maybe it's a Q# at the end.

Percussion

Is improved in some areas. Most noticeable is the quads or tenors, or whatever we are calling them these days. One of last year's snare drummers, Carrot Top, has moved to tenor and has brought the 4 man section up a couple of notches.

Bases, 5, I think they normally have 6, are obviously the hardest working section. these guys have got it together. Again I must say they are the best I have seen in DCA, but what do I know, I am not a drummer.

Snares, 7, have some problems. As an observer, I would say that 3 of them had better do some extra work in order to get on a par with the other 4, both in learning the parts and the drill. I think when they get it together they will be on a par with last year's snares.

Pit is much improved. The addition of a couple of super talented musicians has brought this section a long ways. It's too bad the pit has to beg borrow and steal instruments when they come to Scranton. We should award them extra credit for making due with whatever they can find, like a bicycle, legos and such.

Guard 34

If you saw the improvement from 2002 to 2003, multiply that one more time. There's no slackers in this guard. If anyone lets up, there are people on the sidelines that want your spot. I observed 10 rifles, 10 sabers and 14 banners. When all 34 of them are working banners, they are really together for the most part. Remember this is only May, look for them to be one of the top guards in Scranton.

All in all, I was very impressed with where the Renegades are at this point. The work ethic is outstanding, no wasted time. The overall staff (which is super talented), work extremely well together and have their game plan down before rehearsal starts. I was blown away with how each member of the staff can interact without any ego problems.

Unfortunately, I won't get to see the Renegades again until Scranton. I am sure what I saw last weekend is only the beginning of a very special season. I wish I could be in DeKalb, but St. Joe's has a show in Belleville, Ontario that night...boohoo. ^0^

this isnt a show or event...so why was it moved???

anyway...thanks Benny for the great comments! Im the guy on bottom bass and we all appreciate your comment extremly! Its great to hear what people think because we really cant hear, or see whats going on. and we do only have 5 bass's. we were gonna go six this season but something happened. no worries.

anyway thanks again, its always nice to read a review!

While I didn't move this particular post, Camp Reviews are supposed to be in this section. It's to help keep things from getting lost in the larger forums (II/III, DCA, Division I, etc).

Thanks for the review, I can't wait to see the show!

Doug "Pooh Bear" Kenyon has an outstanding bari solo in Good-by Blue Sky, I think he hits a triple high E or maybe it's a Q# at the end.

Hey Benny,

Jim says ask Pooh what happens when he hits those REAL high notes.

^0^ :silly:

I don't even want to guess what he does, but with all those lovely ladies around him, he had a HARD time getting the smile off his face.

pooh.jpg

Nice Pic