PR dress rehearsal?

Anyone in Rockford last night for the run throughs? Tom? Anyone post any reviews of it, I'd like to hear how they look this year! Thanks!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone in Rockford last night for the run throughs? Tom? Anyone post any reviews of it, I'd like to hear how they look this year! Thanks!

Regrettably, I was not there. After my week in camp, I had to return to Pennsylvania. I must work to support my drum corps habit!

I'm anxiously awaiting someone's report on how the corps looked and sounded. So if you were there, please let us know!

Anyone in Rockford last night for the run throughs?  Tom?  Anyone post any reviews of it, I'd like to hear how they look this year!  Thanks!

Regrettably, I was not there. After my week in camp, I had to return to Pennsylvania. I must work to support my drum corps habit!

I'm anxiously awaiting someone's report on how the corps looked and sounded. So if you were there, please let us know!

No problem, I had forgotten that you do not live near Rockford. Heck, I'm closer than you are and I'm complaining! :blink:

It went well. Forecasts were for bad weather much of the day, but it turned out to be about as perfect as it can get.

A crowd estimated at 700-800 was in attendance and seemed entertained and excited about what they saw.

The full show was performed on the field (minus a little bit of guard work) and, after a 10-minute break, the corps set up in concert formation and played the show again to a most-appreciative crowd. Elsa's Procession capped off the evening.

Mike Robinson, a former TV news anchor in Rockford and now PR director for Rock Valley College, was emcee.

Donations to help offset increased fuel costs were solicited with fuel cans being passed through the crowd between the two performances. People were generous, and the organization is most grateful for the assistance.

There are still three full days of rehearsal at Winnebago High School and a short day Thursday along with a concert performance before the corps leaves on tour at 5 p.m. Thursday. The first show is Friday in Menasha, Wis.

Don't forget: Show of Shows in Rockford on July 8. Phantom Regiment, Blue Devils, Madison Scouts, Colts and many more. 815-540-9737 or www.regiment.org for tickets.

Don't forget this, either: Drums Across the Tri-State in Huntington, W.Va., on July 12. Phantom Regiment, Madison Scouts, Crossmen, Carolina Crown and more. 800-495-7469 x3 or www.dci.org for tickets.

Greg

Edited by GSNewell

Thanks for the recap, Greg. Wish I could have made it.

Oh and thanks for the SoS ticket! You were right, it is a great seat! :)

A friend and fellow alum was nice enough to call me from the dress rehearsal and let me in on the fun, so I was able to hear the show music and Elsa's over the phone. From what I could tell, the drum line is possessed by some supernatural force, and the soprano line is off the hook. The whole experience (yes, even via telephone) was jaw dropping. To those making comments about needing a cigarette afterward, I could definitely hear that...it's visceral and almost overwhelming.

Sound quality of the phone notwithstanding (it actually handled the volume of sound a little better than I figured it would), it's a tremendously exciting musical program. I'm very much looking forward to seeing the visual package, which as I understand it from those in attendance is nothing short of stunning.

There is a drill move at the end of the percussion break that is :blink: ! This ain't your grandfather's old Phantom Regiment. There is a ton of work yet to go on this show, but by Denver in maxed out mode, the energy generated will result in a new generation of Drum Corps fans...a "baby boom" of age outs in 2025.

The intricate part of this show is the musicality, certainly PR fashion, but the drill is far more than one would expect. There are some definate "intangibles" working in this show already due to the performace value built in.

Elsa was breath taking. Great night, I am glad I went.