Menasha 6/18

I get to see SCV and BD next weekend, but I would almost rather seen Madison and Phantom!

How 'bout a plane ticket to the Menomonie show on Sunday?!?!?! B)

http://www.darc.us/

We need to get Cavies up here next year...

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan S., I thought sure I'd see you at this show. Where were you?

Well, since anybody can express an opinion, here's mine:

Happily, the only person using amplification tonight was the show's announcer.

It was good to see the host Americanos on the field. From what the announcer said, they have had more than their fair share of off field troubles. Given all that, it was a gritty performance by both the staff and the kids that they marched a complete show. The show is an exploration of Latin music, a natural for the "Canos." The big challenge Appleton will face will be their sizable percussion line playing soft enough to give their 18 or so horn players a chance to be heard. To their credit, the design staff kept the corps between the 30s, so the corps could hear each other well. Last, kudos to the two person guard. It's tough being "on an island" like that. Biding their time until more members are recruited would be a natural response, so I give these kids a lot of credit for being on the field. Hopefully, they can pick up some additional horn players and guard as the season progresses.

Up until I heard Phantom Regiment's score, the night's big surprise had to be the Blue Stars, if only for their sheer size. 47 horns were complimented by a full guard and percussion sections. As some of you probably know, they are playing music from Japanese cartoons. Not familiar to me at all, but very pleasant on the ears. The 2004 Blue Stars could be this year's 2002 Cap Regiment - they're that good.

I have always loved the Colt's big horns, and they didn't disappoint tonight. Their opener, American Overture, brought back fond memories of 1975 Phantom Regiment. After that was an extended percussion feature that frankly left me a little flat. The final piece offers some oppportunities for genuine on field comedy. I'm sorry, I can't remember the title of the piece, but I bet some of you band directors out there can help me. The dominant tune is sounds an awful lot like "The Old Grey Mare Just 'Ain't What She Used To Be." I've heard it done as a wind band piece. Can you help me out here??

Many corps tend to stand and play when the licks are tough, and Phantom Regiment is no exception. However, after the opening statement of their show is a fugue with some pretty tough horn licks, and the men and women of Phantom Regiment marched through all of it. Kudos to the staff for having the confidence in the kids to plan that. As I read about their show, I couldn't place the tunes. After having heard the show, NOW I remember - both last year's Minnesota Brass and the 1999 Blue Devils played sections of this music. I haven't seen any recaps, but my perception was that they didn't march quite as well tonight as Madison. These two corps will probably swap victories all summer. I'm glad to see the rivalry is back.

Madison was very strong tonight compared to what I saw in Whitewater. some of you know I'm a big fan of theirs, so interpret all that I say with that filter in mind. Even though this is the 'Canos' show, it sure seemed like a Madison crowd. Like a lot of corps, Madison is good at feeding off a receptive crowd and giving it back to them between the eyes. Tonight was one of those nights. Yet, they also seemed to be in control of the technical aspects of the show. While the marching is by no means perfect, I saw more forms click tonight than I saw Thursday in Whitewater. The instrumentalists have a good sense of the impacts and how to build to them. The guard continues to impress, especially when I think back to the "skeletal" presentations by guards in early Madison shows of the not too distant past. It should be a lot of fun to see how this show progresses.

I must confess I was pleasantly surprised by the results. While, I felt Madison and Phantom Regiment were close, I honestly thought Regiment would be slightly ahead of Madison. Go figure. So, like the kids on the buses probably did, I grinned on the ride home. It's only one show, but I think it is the first time Madison has beaten Regiment since finals in 1999. Tomorrow? Forget about it - time to get back to work!

Edited by Jim Anello

Along the same lines, tickets for the show were $12!!

Because they have to pay corps DCI scale instead of DCM scale.

Blue Stars 55.10  4th Place

Wow are they big this year!  46 horns, 22 guard and 26 percussion

wow....that's about the size they were in 72..drumline was smaller....when they should have won DCI.

I wonder---if Blue Stars had won DCI in 1972....would DCI this year put them on the TOC to California even though they're DII?

One more thing, what is up with DCI announcing the scores.  Example:

"In Division 3, winning the gold medal is..."   GEE, I FREAKING WONDER.

"In Division 2, winning the gold medal is..."  GEE, did they win high brass too?

ITS NOT THAT DRAMATIC. PLEASE adopt the DCM way if its a small show and just go "in fifth place."  Sorry, that was just so dumb.

Simple---medals make people feel better than just placements!

Yes...it is overboard....this isn't the Olympics....

Great review!

Edited by FrankBeMe

Here's uncle z's $.02--

'Canos--yeah, I gotta agree with a previous post--that bass drum line was kickin' (even if they were in step only about 2/3 of the show). Buddy of mine told me most of the drum line was from Michigan, so they need more horns to balance that sound out. It broke uncle z's heart to be by a group of obvious corps-age young ladies cheering wildly for their 'Cano friends from the stands when there were only 2 guard members in the guard--how about putting that enthusiam out on the field, gurls?

Blue Stars--my daughter was diggin' the songs--go figure since she's 10 years old and probably recognizes them alot more than uncle z does :P I was on the right side 45-yard line and had the Mellos blowing right at me in the closer--nice sound there, Mellos!! Good to see my old friend Birddog in the stands!!

Colts--yeah, Jim Anello--the first DCI corps uncle z ever saw was PR in 1975--so he's always had a soft spot for "American Overture". And yeah, Jim, uncle z had to tell his spouse that that song was "Old Man River" and not "The Old Grey Mare" :blink:. Lot of equipment problems in the guard--I'm sure that will be ironed out soon enough. Overall, a very seamless, cohesive show. Very nice!

PR--hair went up on uncle z's arm from the hornline sound--to this day I can't figure out how the horn instructors can convince someone to tote around that euphonium all summer! Gotta be a special breed!! It'll be interesting once that show gets a little cleaner how that .75 down from Madison plays out. Comments from the stands were made about the hornline members on the sideline. And uncle z was kind of depressed at the amount of time the guard spent hunched over equipment close to the endzones. uncle z's old school--it's hard to image PR guard NOT doing a bunch of equipment work.

Madison--yeah baby, that company front in "Malaga" was kickin'!!!! uncle z had both PR and Madison both scoring in the 70s and was disappointed. Overall, uncle and auntie z were impressed with the Madison visual look. Guard unis were well concieved and blended in with the rest of the corps. Typical Madison horn sound. Tears welled up in retreat for "Never Walk Alone", as usual. Great job, guys!!!

Good to see Paul Schneider working the food stand--uncle z remembers him as a 14 year-old drum major for the West Bend Patriots!!!

That french horn player during the national anthem--there were enough karaoke singers at the bar we went to after the show, and nobody could hook 'em up to sing the national anthem??

Later...................................

Never Walk and Malaga.

It was cold (for the crowd) and they had a long drive ahead of them.

Anyone who attended: whad'ja think of the "new" drum line. A noticeable change or improvement in look/sound?

My question is answered by davdrums in his drum-oriented review of the Menasha show (sorry, don't know how to attach link). He says it's an improvement musically. Exactly what I was hoping for and anticipating. It was good before -- but time for a new direction. Thanks davdrums!