What ever happened to the Geneseo Knights?

So...since you show in your signature that you marched in 1983, need to ask the all important question. In the reentry portion of your show when you start to do--hang on--going to corpsrep.com...be right back...

OK...when you come out of the ballad and into the Camelot thingee "The Joust", and JUST before you start to do a recapitulation of "Russlan", somebody yells at the top of his lungs on the recording...

PLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!

WHO WAS THAT? Was that your drum major? Or a staff member? I used to play that for my mom and dad BEFORE I ever joined VK, and told them it was probably the drum major hyping. WE LOVED listening to that.

And then the ending big fat chords...and the drums wrapping it all up for those last 4 counts. MAN!!

It made a big impression on me as a high schooler back in the day!

Why, thank you, Ryan. You'e too kind.

And yes indeed, that was the DM on the podium, Ryan Gerkin, yelling "PLAAAAAAAY!" before the final push. You can also hear staffer John Morell yell "Clarksville, Tennessee!!! JAM!!!" before the concert, "Whiplash," as a tribute to snare drummer Bart Dixon, and you can clearly hear M&M staffer Matt Chamberlain say "OK, we're goin' all the way!" right before the closer, "It Was Almost Like a Song." I only remember these because as the timpani player I was right up front. And because I have a good memory.

Another good one that you can't hear is from 1988. Our horn caption head, Dan Moore (he was also the great sop soloist in 1985) and I were pretty much the Klass Klowns, and I knew he would try to get me to break on the podium at our last show. So right before "Beginnings," he says fairly quietly, "Get down with your bad selves." And I almost lost it, on the podium.

Memories. Light the corners of my mickie-fickin' mind...

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why, thank you, Ryan. You'e too kind.

And yes indeed, that was the DM on the podium, Ryan Gerkin, yelling "PLAAAAAAAY!" before the final push. You can also hear staffer John Morell yell "Clarksville, Tennessee!!! JAM!!!" before the concert, "Whiplash," as a tribute to snare drummer Bart Dixon, and you can clearly hear M&M staffer Matt Chamberlain say "OK, we're goin' all the way!" right before the closer, "It Was Almost Like a Song." I only remember these because as the timpani player I was right up front. And because I have a good memory.

Another good one that you can't hear is from 1988. Our horn caption head, Dan Moore (he was also the great sop soloist in 1985) and I were pretty much the Klass Klowns, and I knew he would try to get me to break on the podium at our last show. So right before "Beginnings," he says fairly quietly, "Get down with your bad selves." And I almost lost it, on the podium.

Memories. Light the corners of my mickie-fickin' mind...

ya had to go and mention dan moore, didn't ya? i remember there was a week (or a month, or maybe it just SEEMED like a month!) that dan and walt (where are you walt?) spoke in nothing but puns. having to drive to rehearsals with walt, and marching about half my show in the vicinity of dan, it was moore (pardon the pun!) than i could take!

Ü

jan

We did have sort of a nasty reputation, somewhat deserved, and I think largely due to percussion. The drum bus was pretty unruly, and the west coast corps' didn't appreciate the spectacle of us "cleaning it out". I was gonna post something on the "most unruly behaviour during retreat" thread, but don't think I'm ready to do that just yet. ;)

"Wow, did you see that bird hit window?"

Long Live The QUEEN!!!

• 15 years later...