Need help on endurance

KevinDCAChamp

After not playing much since 1976 I have gotten back into a horn line again. I am playing First Mello, and have gotten back the range I need (not much above the staff) pretty well, and am happy with my tone quality, but I can not get any endurance back. I have been playing just about everyday since mid-March for about 2 hours a day. I work some excersises, but have had to concentrate on learning and playing the music for our show, so I do more of that than excersises. I do some 16 count low c to c above the staff, having trouble when I get above the staff. And I do lip slurs and interval stuff. But I tire very quickly, especially when playing the show charts. I get maybe 2 times through and don't have much left after that.

Now that I have the charts down I want to concentrate on getting the endurance back, and get the range back too.

So what do you suggest to help me accomplish this?? Should I take a day off now and then, or is playing everyday better. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

I've had some success in that area by spreading out the playing a bit throughout the day. I know that sounds like the opposite... Some people last longer later in the day if they warm up in the morning and let some time pass. The morning warmup is kind of like a morning jog for your face. It's helped me from time to time so I figured I'd share. The worst thing it could really do to your playing is nothing.

It sounds like you're doing everything right. I too picked up a horn after many years of not playing and I try to play some every other day, even though I'm not marching anywhere. I got me a G bugle, two valved, dynasty. Anyway, keep practicing and it'll all come back to you. Don't be too hard on yourself.

Breathing....Breathing....Breathing

Air is our friend. Do lots of breathing exercises and you will find your endurance improves dramatically.

Breathing....Breathing....Breathing

Air is our friend. Do lots of breathing exercises and you will find your endurance improves dramatically.

Yes, breathing from the diaphragm is best. You can practice breathing all day while at school or work or wherever. Pressure is bad but once your chops and endurance get up to speed, that will ease up. You put pressure on when you are tired.

Unfortunately it takes time to build up endurance but you have good work ethics so you should be okay soon. Good luck. :)

It's definitely about the breathing. I'm needing to do more breathing exercises myself. My lungs are really messed up. I've been around people who smoke my whole life. It's really terrible. Pressure is extremely bad as well, and I have the habit of using too much often, which is going to really mess me up bad. I need to get to working on fixing that habit.

I'm an accomplished pro trumpeter and school band director. Play sensibly. 2 hours a day is too much, especially if you're playing every day. Treat your lips like a body builder treats his muscles. REST is very important for growth. 4 months of 2-hour workouts is pretty intense stuff, especially when you took almost 30 years off! Vary your exercises. Don't do the same exercises every day. Buzz on the mouthpiece while driving... but give yourself some rest time, too. What night(s) does the corps rehearse? Perhaps take that next day off (completely) to recoup. Don't beat yourself up, concentrate on the processes involved with producing a good tone and always use clean technique. Endurance will come. Use the Arbans book, toot on some "fun tunes" that don't necessarily challenge your range. Breathe properly... watch how much pressure you use... etc, etc...

Be well and good luck,

Bill Losier

Thanks to everyone for the input so far!!

Let me clairfy a few things. The 2 hours I try to practice encompasses many breaks. I do 10 minutes on and 10 minutes off roughly. So it sounds like a lot longer than it really is in total playing time. I try to stop and rest when I feel more than a little strain, so as not to hurt the muscles. Rehearsals make that a little more difficult, but I still try to avoid too much strain. I will try taking a day off, especialy after a long rehearsal/performance day. I was wondering if that would be a good idea. I played with pressure in my earlier days, and am really concentrating on not doing that as I re-learn, not easy as you all know.

My breathing is amazingly good after all the years off and bad habits like smoking. In fact it seems I might be putting too much air through the horn, in that I am louder than anyone else in my section. I have brought that level down and it does seem to help with the endurence. Perhaps I have been over-taxing my lip by the extra air pressure??? Maybe I can give a hint to others in return for the help given me. I wonder how many people know that a big factor in breathing/breath control is exhalation, not inhalation? The feeling of needing a breath/running out of air is caused by the build up of CO2 in the lungs, not the lack of air in the lungs. So if you completely exhale all the stale air before you inhale, you will be able to use more of the air in the lungs before the feeling of the need for more air happens. Does wonder for breath control. Maybe this is well known and taught now, but I mention it just in case it is not.

Thanks again for the tips, I'll let you know how it is going!