Need help on endurance

KevinDCAChamp

I firmly belive in resting twice long as you play to let the muscles heal from being ripped and to allow blood to flow into those crevices.

• 3 weeks later...

hey, Im a euph player that really struggles with endurance. being in a college band certainly helps, but the one thing that keeps me up during summers "off" is lip-buzzing. shape your embochure and apperchure to your mouthpiece then buzz a mid-range note for a few counts. make sure that your focus stays on a "no pressure" point of view. stay with me here, i have a point. play that note a few more times and really get it in your ear. on the next note you start, begin pulling the mouthpiece away from your face. continue this buzz with the lips only. work on sirens and slur excercises. do this everyday after your breathing warm-ups.

take care

Flint Weed

SCV 02

Baritone I&E Champion

Just Chill. To much practice is worse than not enough. Try doing coruso excersises. I've only been playing trumpet for only four years but since I've been doing corusos I have been able to play above the staff constantly through 16 hour rehearsles on tour.

Edited by Tony

Not only do I have zero endurance right now, I just wish I could breathe without hurting or passing out. I haven't played since JSU graduation in May, mainly because of a million tests at the doctors and a few surgeries here in Atlanta and Houston. It really sucks bad

Ok, I know I'm the young kid that everybody loves to hate, but I do know about Mello playing! A few exercises you might want to consider are doing "lip trills" if you will. Basically slurring between open partials in the staff starting from C-E and going up (to E-G ect...) Its absolutely essential that you don't use pressure when doing this. Phillip Farkas had this exercise where you put the horn on a table and just touch your lips to the mouthpiece and go as far up the harmonic series as you can. It'll work wonders. The last thing that I know has really worked well for me is just playing. I know what you're talking about feeling drained after going through the show once or twice. You've jsut gotta flow on. And I mean air flow. When you get tired the tendency is to crunch and use pressure, however if you relax and flow you'll be able to get the music out 100% of the time. (I must've just made Kevin Rabon and J.D. Shaw proud, that came right out of their mouths)

The best thing is to practice making music and not worry about the mechanics of playing.

Use air and try to move your face as little as possible. The air will do all of the work when it comes to changing notes.

Don't worry about pressure for now. Once you get the range you will no longer need to use it. As long as you are not cutting your lip open then you have nothing to worry about.

DON'T use a huge mouthpiece. 80 to 90% of all brass players use too large of a mouthpiece which affects their range and endurance. Remeber that one of the greatest trumpet players of all time (Bud Herseth) used a 7B until he had to go to a larger mouthpiece because of scar tissue from an accident.

Edited by SoonerMellophone

Try walking or running. I marched in the Rose Parade this year. I walk/ran every morning. I first started walking around the block, it's a big block though. I talked to my doctor and she said I should add a little running in the middle of my walk and run until I was a little tired, not exhausted. I kept extending the running period a little bit every day. Eventually my 2 mile walk/run took 20 minutes or so: warmup walk, run, and a cool down walk. I felt the exercise opened up my lungs and helped with my playing endurance. While running, I tried to control my breathing. At first I was panting. After a month or so I could run much of the time at a quik pace and control my breathing. I also lost 30 pounds and I'm sure that didn' hurt. BTW, my blood pressure went down as well.