Plymouth, MI review

I can only repeat what I was told about Marion. For there size they are putting out a very respectable sound though there music book is currently too demanding for them. And they need a color guard.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are moving this year and it's sounds as if they are letting the horns hang it all out a lot more this summer,

You got that right. Being a FMM horn player of The Cavaliers I was surprised to hear not just one or two screamers this year but a few. I think many people will be pleasantly surprised. All the people that hated their show last year should love their show this year. "It's out there" as you said.

As far as jazzin it up, ya I agree to a point but many of these kids are accomplished musicians... as are BD's players. BD is known for it. Cavaliers are not. It will be interesting to hear how this new style (for them) progresses through the season.

some info you might not know:

Pioneer's guard uniform is changing.  It will be a big improvement over what they're wearing now (one of my favorite comments about it was "it looks like someone censored out their breasts!")

Cavaliers' "real" ending will be in soon (For Your Eyes Only is just a tacked on ending and yes it is abrupt and anti-climactic).

I made the comment about the Pioneer guard as looking like orange construction barrels. :lolhit:

they were our lil pumpkin patch :P

Hey Paul...

No, My nickname is not Don Kiahatsu...but Don is a very capable instructor with roots in the Phantom organization. In fact he started out, I believe with the Nisei Ambassadors WAY before your time. He worked at Pioneer when I wrote the book there, and the concept of being loud and cleaning from there is where he is coming from. So I guess we do have some things in common besides our ages.

Roman Sr. loves this guy and he does a great job with the kids at Pioneer. He has also taught Cap Sound, Southwind, and Scouts the last few years.

Good Luck Pioneer...and Lakeshoremen!!!!!

Donny Allen

Cavaliers - I am sure some of the edginess of the upper voices are from many of the jazz elements in their book. They do need to clean that kind of stuff soon though or when they meet Devs, it's going to be a schooling in how to play jazz.

Seriously, when was the last time BD has played any serious jazz? I would say 93.

I'm talking about jazz arrangements. Surly, a few bars of 'Take 5' doesn't count. Nothing against BD, but they have lost their roots. Everybody has a lot of work to do. The Cavies aren't getting schooled.

B

Hey Paul...

No, My nickname is not Don Kiahatsu...but Don is a very capable instructor with roots in the Phantom organization. In fact he started out, I believe with the Nisei Ambassadors WAY before your time. He worked at Pioneer when I wrote the book there, and the concept of being loud and cleaning from there is where he is coming from. So I guess we do have some things in common besides our ages.

Roman Sr. loves this guy and he does a great job with the kids at Pioneer. He has also taught Cap Sound, Southwind, and Scouts the last few years.

Good Luck Pioneer...and Lakeshoremen!!!!!

Donny Allen

Sorry about the confusion. I thought I remembered you being called that back around '99. But hey lots of things get twisted in memory over a couple years. Regardless though I did enjoy this Pioneer show much more than the past few. And Donny, thanks about the Lakeshoremen as Cru is represented quite well with four former members.