Woodburn Review

Hey all. Just got home from the 15th annual Drums of Fire show in Woodburn, Or. I was a bit nervous about all the clouds, but not one drop of rain fell thankfully. Back in 94, this was the first drum corps experiance ever, so I am a bit attached to this show. 5 corps tonight, grandstand seating was $20, which I thought was a bit expensive, considering my Quarterfinals tickets for Denver were $30. I paid $15 and sat in the front row bleachers, which doesn't bother me any. Four of my old instuctors from Argonauts and Northern Lights were judging tonight, it was nice seeing them all again. Now some reviews.

Spokane Thunder

These guys are a first year corps, and have been together only 4 month, this was their first show...........EVER. Considering the nerves i'm sure they all had, they did pretty well. They had a good size hornline, 30-35 horns, about 12 in the drum line, and 6 or 7 in the pit. It looks like all new equipment and uniforms. They didn't have a colorguard, but i'm sure they will build that program next year. The performance was what you would expect for a first time corps; very tentative and nervous, but given time, and a colorguard, this corps could become a legitimate contender in div II or III.

Oregon Crusaders

All I have to say about these guys is.....WOW!!! I honestly expected to see the same old Crusaders from the past few years, but they've gotten their act together. They have some very nice new uniforms and what looks like a newer set of horns. They had power too. I could tell that they have mostly focused on their opener, because it is very strong, with plenty of control and very nice releases. The drum line is small, but they can play. I am still shocked by the power of the hornline, these guys really remind me of the Cascades from 01, and if they keep it up, they will definatly make finals in Denver.

Seattle Cascades

I don't want to be negative about the Cascades, because I have so much respect for them, and what they have accomplished over the last few years, but they have a ton of work to do in the next month if they want to be a legitimate contender come August. This was their first show of the year, so I can't be too worried, but their hornline was the dirtiest I heard it in a long time. Lots of missed releases. At this point it's hard to tell how they will be come Denver, but I really hope that they don't drop any positions over last year.

Santa Clara Vanguard

SCV, SCV, SCV.......I can hear the chant now. This is easily the best corps they've had since 99. I have NEVER heard a Vanguard hornline that can play like this, ballanced, with a very strong trumpet section. My biggest complaint last year was that I could hear feet in the horns, even at finals, not so this year. The drumline is sweet as per normal. I loved the colors of the drums, it's a mix of a bunch of different colors, with a metalic finish. I can't even put into words how much I love this show, tack on more GE moments and this will be a championship corps.

Blue Devils

I wasn't sure what to expect with BD, but I was not disapointed. Their show is absolutly oozing with GE, it is definatly their strength. I like the uniforms, they still scream Blue Devil. Summertime was cool, it was cut up, but I honestly liked it better than if it hadn't been. Drumline has some cool moments, snares tore it up when they were jamming up front about 8 minutes into the show. They are ahead of Vanguard for now, but I don't think it will last forever.

I miss Legion Field I hope the show goes back there at some point. I'm tired and done now, night all.

Thanks for the review. I know I'm really looking forward to seeing SCV later in the season.

Good review. I was at the show as well and agree with you about the Oregon Crusaders. They have really come out strong this year. I really loved the Vanguards show. My friends and the group next to us in the stands, thought that the Blue Devils won the show, but enjoyed the Vanguard more. I'm headed to Louisville tomorrow to see the Cavilers and the Cadets and I can hardly wait.

Does anyone have the individual captions scores? DCI doesn't have the recaps posted yet.

I was at the show too. Sat up in the reserved in aisle E, top row, in the middle... so between the 30 and 35 yard line.

Spokane Thunder.... very easily tell it was their first performance. Those kids were nervous, but getting through that performance had shown how strong the corps is. I actually thought it was Oregon Crusaders who were walking on because of the uniform similarity, and being that had not seen either uniform prior to last night... that's why.

Oregon Crusders... they have a strong show, their music was played on a higher focus level than two weeks ago, and their drill was much more locked in. Two big problems for this corps though... marching technique and sound control. The corps showed no marching technique at all on the field, and I had yet to see someone actually rolling their feet. With music, there just wasn't any tuning... their quartet in the ballad can sound so beautiful if they would just listen to each other for balance and tuning.

So basically, a lot of their critique, in my opion, this year will come in individual performance, and control. Other than that, these kids are determined to put on a good show, and they are working hard at it too... which shows.

Seattle Cascades... Seems like a fun show to watch, but it's difficult want to watch when you individuals just going through the movements and not performing. Especially in the guard. There really wasn't any kind of flowing that connected with the music. From my eyes, they were just out there. Also, can't have a low brass person holding over the last note of the show... only screamers do that... right? But again, a well written show. The members just need to show it.

SCV... other than an off night for the sabers, I really enjoyed the show, especially the power that the low brass brings. My gosh! Also ehard them warming up with a little Fiddler action... that was nice to hear.

BD... a very creative show. I actually enjoyed watching it. Their rifle line also seemed to have an off night. But other than that... amazing.

Sorry for the last two being short...

Oh, and the announcer has to go. Didn't we say this last year?

Anyone know what Spokane Thunder's Repertoire was/is?

Cloudmaster - by Jack Stamp

Selection from Durufle Requiem - arranged by Terry Lack

Magnificat - by John Rutter

Sleep - by Eric Whitacre

Gloria - by John Rutter

Edited by bari_benzo

I have only been associated with Drum Corp for three years as a spectator,and never competed. But from a novicies point of view I thought Vanguard performed better than BD. To me BD's performance was to busy with so much going on that I lost interest in their performance about half way thru. I do enjoy watching the players enjoying their efforts. :rolleyes:

Rather interesting... I had brought a friend along with me who had never seen a drum corps show before, and he said the exact opposite.

He had told me that SCV's show was just too much for him to watch. Too much going on and what not. But he said that he really enjoyed BD's show. He was naming all the tunes that they played in their production while in the car, and he also said that the use of a train themed show was really unique to him. I asked him if he undersand the concept that BD was trying to put on the field, and he said yes, it was easier to understand than the other corps.

So more or less, I made a new BD fan yesterday.

I think it's great that you made A fan yesterday, let alone for any corps in particular. Good for you!