a 3RD Seattle show review

Well, I didn't plan on writing any sort of review, but I find myself with some free time, so I thought now is as good a time as any for my first shot at it. Seeing as I have marched with 1/3 of the corps at the show, I will try to contain the bias.

First off, I must say that I was very pleased with the setting. Husky stadium has been great, but Seahawks stadium was wonderfuk (at least for us in the crowd). Great view, comfortable seats..blah blah blah...moving along.

Disclaimer: Just my thoughts...not much detail

Spokane Thunder-

I did not expect to be saying this, but I believe the two non- D1 corps at this show were the highlights of my evening. Spokane Thunder put on a great show. They looked great in the uniforms that they somehow pulled together over a short 4 month period, and the kids looked great. I enjoyed the performance, and my lasting impression is that I cant wait to see how they progress in the next few years.

Oregon Crusaders-

Probably the best story of the night for myself. 30 kids in that hornline and they are smokin! Same guy arranged the hornbook that has done the Cascades the last few years, and the excitement came with the book. Guard held its own, and while the drumline was small (3s, 2t, 5b) they provided one of my fav perc moments of the night in their drum break. Come august, they will be a division 3 champion I do beleive.

Mandarins-

Great show. I am still amazed at how small the mandarins come out, however I dont think it hurts them too much. Very percussive show, with a lot of fight club style dancing added in, and the crowd ate it up. They never cease to amaze with what they can do with smaller numbers. Very classy! I was a little disturbed by the red banners used in the opener, and then planted on the back sideline for the remainder of the show. Anyone that has seen them should understand.

Seattle Cascades-

Great show. I personally do not feel the should have been that far behind the Mandarins personally. I thought perfomance levels were fairly similar. Cascades have taken a different route this year with Scott Boerma arranging, and with a different brass staff, and they are a very different hornline. Not sure how I felt about it actually...I think they lacked the punch they have had that has made some fans over the last few years, however, from a musical standpoint, I do beleive they have made strides. They have a long road to denver, but I do beleive they have the package to get them back to where they want to be. It looks like a battle for those 12-17 spots though.

Santa Clara Vanguard-

The hype on this show is halfway true. While I almost grew tired of reading it, I have to admit they have by far the best sounding hornline from them I have heard since 99, and perhaps that I have ever heard. A lot of overlaying of themes that keep the show very flowing. And while I never thought I would walk out of a stadium saying this, I dont disagree with the fact that they pulled off the win tonight. Not sure how I felt about the show exactly, but they performed it very well. Did seem to be more park and barks then in the past few years, but I am not going to say if that is good or bad, because for now it seems to be working, both from a scores standpoint, and from a fan standpoint. Nice job Santa Clara.

Blue Devils-

I stopped by a rehearsal for a few minutes earlier in the day, and watched this corps just light up a small high school stadium. Walked away saying "they will repeat this year, hands down". Fast forward to the show. Incredible show. At times it almost felt like 2 trumpets with a big band behind them...crowd loved it. I noticed walking around after the show, young kids were commenting on the screamers from bd. Gotta love that.

Back to the show, I loved the beginning! The really set a mood for you, and it really never leaves til you realize they are off the field and done. Summertime wasnt what I was expecting, however a very nice arrangement. My biggest thought is that they were not nearly as tight at the show as I witnessed earlier that afternoon. As previous reviews have said, I think the show is just a bit over them at the moment. That said, I think this corps is very capable of attaining the level they desire with the product they currently have. Like I said, I agree with Santa Clara being ahead of them slighty right now. However, in August, I think Blue Devils will be lighting Denver up with this show, and walking away with a 12th world title. Granted, the 4 way battle will be tough. Just a feeling I get from last night.

Congrats to all the corps. Nobody dissapointed!