Woodstock, IL

Just got back from Woodstock. I'm writing a review for DCW, so just a brief summary here.

Joliet Kingsmen: Much improved over this time last season. Lead trumpet was amazing. Love the marimba features. Much drill, especially CG, to be added.

Bandettes: Brass seems down from last year. Otherwise, good performance overall. Again, lots of CG drill to add.

Racine Scouts: Improved over a week ago. Brass needs work; I hardly recognized "Staying Alive". But when they're on, they're good. Lots of CG drill to be added. This will be a great show when they get it cleaned up.

Pioneer: Best show of the evening and will be even better as they clean it. Again, CG drill not complete. Great energy in "Lord of the Dance". Closer needs more energy and higher-impact drill to go with the music. This is a really crowd-pleasing show and will go far this year.

Kilties: Lots of work to do in guard. Brass very good, as expected. This seems like a more complex show than in recent years - I think the corps will be more competitive than recently.

Royal Airs: Second time I've seen them, really enjoy their show. Looks like they've updated to the 70's from the 60's in terms of starting at the 50 rather then the end zone, types of drill, etc. Less standstill in this year's show than previously. Definitely taking it up a notch. I'm still waiting to hear what the difference is between a "reunion corps" and a "senior exhibition corps".

Overall: Attendance seemed down this year, as did crowd energy. This is the fourth consecutive year I've attended this show, and I think this was the least energetic I've ever seen the crowd. Possibly due to changes in the lineup - DCM/DCI and all. The stands are very small - some of the smallest I've seen. But the lawn seating really contributes to a great atmosphere. Also, although the concession variety isn't the largest, this is the only show I've ever seen where they have vendors actually go into the stands. It's such a great idea that I can't believe no one else does it.

I really enjoy this show and would recommend it to anyone. Really hard to get advance tickets this year, though, if you weren't in Woodstock - the only number on the DCM website was for the DCM office, and I never got hold of anyone there. This show is not heavily promoted like some are (websites, etc.) but is a great local show.

--Andrew

Royal Airs:  Second time I've seen them, really enjoy their show.  Looks like they've updated to the 70's from the 60's in terms of starting at the 50 rather then the end zone, types of drill, etc.  Less standstill in this year's show than previously.  Definitely taking it up a notch.  I'm still waiting to hear what the difference is between a "reunion corps" and a "senior exhibition corps".

--Andrew

I gave this answer on a previous post:

The change from a "reunion corps" to an "exhibition corps" is primarily an internal organizational and goal related change, most of which is transparent to the audience. The audience may notice that the Royal Airs will not necessarily be tied to performing a show based on what they performed during their heyday in the '60s. Hence the theme of the show this year is "Something old, something new, something borrowed and all things BLUE".