Madison Scouts 1971 Alice in Wonderland..

Thanks for answering!

The Scouts show and the Cavies show (1/2 of it was a circus) caused somebody in the midwest to put out a t-shirt that said "The Day Drum Corps Died" on it in 71.

Drum corps is doing pretty well for being thirty-three years dead! B)

My corps show was also a themed show, and Drum Corps News trashed us at first, but since it was a Revolutionary War show, the VFW had no problems with it, even the Peace Sign (since it was to "Battle Hymn" of all things!).

I think you'd find that with all three of us, some judges loved us and some hated us. Our scores tended to bounce around a lot that year.

Mike

Gosh, Mike ... but I thought the tick system was supposed to have been totally objective. [/sarcasm] :worthy:

Edited by Orpheus

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gosh, Mike ... but I thought the tick system was supposed to have been totally objective. [/sarcasm] :worthy:

One small example.....

In our drum solo we did a battle sequence...

Two of the snares held their snares one on top of the other so they'd look like a mortar.

We had two different sized bass drums. The larger would give his drum a huge whack to be the cannon shot (the snares woudl make some sort of firing movement) and immediately after the smaller bass would hit to sound like a very open flam...kind of like BOOM...boom. Well, about 1/2 the execution judges would 'tick' them EVERY show, even after we explained that they were SUPPOSED to sound like that. It was pretty obvious.

Another....

We split the corps in two, the sops and 1/2 the drum line (2 snares/2 tr-toms, q1 bass, 1 cym, 2 timps) as the Americans doing a hoe-down in 2/4 to something like "Turkey in the Straw", while simultaneously the lower brass and the other 1/2 of the drum line (similar configuration) did a 3/4 minuet, as the Redcoats.

Drum judges slammed us in demand because we split the drum line in two...never mind that we had each 1/2 playing in different time signatures at the same time.

Drove our drum guy, George Tuthill, crazy! Eventually he gave up and took the garden hose to the drum book to water it down. A crying shame, IMO.

Mike

Hey Dan!  Which dwarf were you?  Both in name and field position.

Ron,

I was on the left side of the field most of the time--hard to pick out on the video. As for names, we didn't have any, except if someone "ticked." In that case, you can imagine what dwarf name he was called, lol.

Dan

71 Madison - what a gas! My favorite show that year (except for ours)! Had a lot of friends in the Scouts, in fact I almost got kicked out of the corps for partying with them and missing lights out. Happened in Madison, a bunch of us went to the Scout's corps house (an old firehouse?) and we sat around eating popcorn (must of been something we smoked) and comparing charts. Richman vs Yankee Doodle etc. When we got back to the school lights had been out for over an hour, (time flies). We were met by Gail, Pete, Scott, Fred, Wayne... all the heavyweights. Gail was ######! The only reason we didn't get sent home was there was to many of us. We did have to stand in front of the whole corps and apologize. Oh well! If memory seves after the show we joined Madison and played You'll Never Walk Alone. I wish I could remember the names of the guys we hung out with, one was the rabbit (cymbal player?), one a lead Bari with red hair and glasses (Dick?) and I remember one guy owned a bar with his brother and sister. Maybe one of these days I'll post a recap of our 71 tour... it was unusal.

Paul

and I remember one guy owned a bar with his brother and sister.

Karson and Kelly Klund

I used to hear stories of how glad SCV was to meet up with Madison on the road around 71. I lived with a bunch of horn players from Vanguard the entire first half of 72, in fact, until they left on tour. and they, shall we say, spoke quite highly of The Madison Scouts hospitality.

RON HOUSLEY

Edited by ffernbus3

71 Madison - what a gas! My favorite show that year (except for ours)! Had a lot of friends in the Scouts, in fact I almost got kicked out of the corps for partying with them and missing lights out. Happened in Madison, a bunch of us went to the Scout's corps house (an old firehouse?) and we sat around eating popcorn (must of been something we smoked) and comparing charts.

Hi Paul,

Glad to hear from a '71 vet--'71 SCV was my favorite show that year, especially the opener--Globe Playhouse. The opening statement to that piece blew me away.

Yep, you remembered correctly. We owned an old firehouse on the east side of Madison on Atwood Ave. It was torn town sometime in the mid-70s.

If memory seves after the show we joined Madison and played You'll Never Walk Alone.

I remember doing it in 1973 at the Madison show.

I wish I could remember the names of the guys we hung out with, one was the rabbit (cymbal player?), . . .

You're speaking of Jeff Tosef, a cymbal player: arguably the shortest guy in the corrps. He was the logical choice to play the rabbit.

one [was] a lead Bari with red hair and glasses (Dick?) and I remember one guy owned a bar with his brother and sister.

Yep, you're speaking of Karson and Kelly Klund who owned the bar, "The Stone Hearth," a favorite Scout hangout in the 1970s to mid-80s. The bar is no longer there--various establishments have occupied the building since the mid-80s: a church, a punk rocker joint to name a few.

Maybe one of these days I'll post a recap of our 71 tour... it was unusal.

Cool! I hope to see it.

All the best,

Dan

Glad to hear from a '71 vet--'71 SCV was my favorite show that year, especially the opener--Globe Playhouse. The opening statement to that piece blew me away.

That was a great openeer....

Being an East Coast guy....

My own personal favorite (outside of MY corps, of course! :) ) was 2-7. You had to give it up for SCV and Anaheim though...we pretty much knew our (the East) days at the top were numbered when those two came east. Their top-to-bottom quality was just incredible.

Mike

I used to hear stories of how glad SCV was to meet up with Madison on the road around 71.  I lived with a bunch of horn players from Vanguard the entire first half of 72, in fact,  until they left on tour. and they, shall we say, spoke quite highly of The Madison Scouts hospitality.

RON HOUSLEY

You right, Ron. SCV and MS were in alot of the same shows in 1971 and 1972, and not just at the big regional shows. Those were the days when the west coast corps had to come frequently to the midwest. Of course, we did the same in 1971 and 1972, competing in Wyoming, Drums Along the Rockies, and even went to CA in 1972. So, we had alot of opportunities to meet each other socially. We even had chances to watch SCV practice. I remember in 1972 watching Fred S. run a drum line rehersal; one could tell right then and there that a new era of drum corps had started.

Madison is a fun city. I'm sorry we got Paul and his companions into trouble that night in Madtown, lol. I hope Gail wasn't too hard on you guys.

Dan, I wasn't along for that ride.....I was aged-out of the Kingsmen and just finished teaching the 71 Lynwood Diplomats and about 25 when I moved from SoCal up to Santa Clara to learn more about the craft from Gail Royer and SCV, so only heard the stories second hand.

I moved to Vail, Colorado in the summer of 72 and it was up there that I got word Anaheim had won DCI.....Former Diplomat and then Kingsmen snare Lance Kellogg let my ex-Dip wife and I know. Dips 71 supplied our share of Kingsmen in 72: Drum major Jim Good, Lance Kellogg on snare, Jim "Silverstein" Stevenson, one of my lead sops...a few others....Tom Float used to be a Diplomat, too.

Speaking of which, today was the first time I ever saw the whole 72 Kingsmen DCI performance from the old tape...had only seen the clip from the end of Brass Roots before this. Of course, I heard it many times and continue to do so, though I personally like the 73 and 74 Kingsmen book better....props to Mike Duffy for 72 and 73 Kingsmen horn book.....and one of the finest flag sections and rifle lines in the history of drum corps......props to Guard Capt. Linda Rieke, little sister of my running buddy from the 67 corps, Rick Rieke. She worked hard in the guard right from the beginning, I watched how hard she workd, and she went on to become one of the finest Guard Captains of her time....a true Class Act!

Been a good couple of days between the Madison set and some Kingsmen Alumni stuff for sniffing up the historical truffles.

Get me all charged up for DCI finals this year, that's for sure.

Thanks again for directing me to Madison's store for their 60 yr. set, Dan.

RON HOUSLEY

Edited by ffernbus3