Madison Scouts 1971 Alice in Wonderland..

Dan,

Always had fun in Madison! There was to many of us for him to do much. We did have to grovel before the whole corps. Any SCV alums from that era it was this incident that led to the formation of the CRABS.

Anyway Dan FYI I decided not to march 74 (DC burnout) and travel back east with friend in the corps who had joined the Air Force. We stopped in Madison and if I remember correctly partied at the "The Stone Hearth and ended up sleeping on one of the Klund's aparment floors. Anyway before we left your fair city, somebody mentioned that there was a Bari spot open if I was interested. Almost took them up on their offer, but I was pretty sick of DC. As I recall Madison beat up on SCV all year until finals. Didn't someone from Madison steat SCV's championship flag? Anyway I think that was the end of the Madison - SCV warm and fuzzies.

Paul

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

finest flag sections and rifle lines in the history of drum corps......props to Guard Capt. Linda Rieke, little sister of my running buddy from the 67 corps, Rick Rieke.  She worked hard in the guard right from the beginning, I watched how hard she workd,  and she went on to become  one of the finest Guard Captains of her time....a true Class Act!

On the "Brass Roots" video there is semi-slow motion shot of the '73 Kingsmen guard work--at the very beginning of "Folksong Suite," seen from a worms-eye perspective. I believe it is a clip from Bluegrass Invitational that year. I get chills ever time I see it: some of the coolest friggin guard work I've ever seen. Total rush! . . . 1974 Kingsmen--arguably my all-time favorite show (behind my beloved Scouts, of course).

Been a good couple of days between the Madison set and some Kingsmen Alumni stuff for sniffing up the historical truffles.

Enjoyed it as well!

Thanks again for directing me to Madison's store for their 60 yr. set, Dan.

Your welcome, Ron. Enjoy! I'm sure we'll run into each other.

Dan

As I recall Madison beat up on SCV all year until finals. Didn't someone from Madison steat SCV's championship flag? Anyway I think that was the end of the Madison - SCV warm and fuzzies.

Yep, we were poised to take it but it just didn't happen. Perhaps what happened to us in '74 was similar to what happened to you guys at '72 finals. In any event, SCV was the better corps that night in '74 and deserved the win. As for the flag, a guy from our guard took it that night; I had heard that it was recently returned.

I talked briefly to Gary Czapinski this past weekend in Madison. I know that he worked with both SCV and MS in the early 1970s. I asked him point blank who came up with the "Alice" concept in '71. He said it was his idea and sold Ray Baumgardt on it. Larry McCormick was part of it also, but, according to Gary, McCormick initially wanted to do the "Circus" show with us. When it was all hashed out, we got "Alice" and the Cavaliers got the "Circus" show. Paul Milano may have some added info on the genesis of those respective shows.

all the best

Thanks again for directing me to Madison's store for their 60 yr. set, Dan.

RON HOUSLEY

Yes..that was well done. Who did that 3 video set? :silly:

Edited by RobertPi1ot