Baritone/Euphonium mouthpieces?

speedrush

Ok so I am kinda new to the whole "big" marching show. I have only ever marched with my High School but this year I will be heading up to the big WCU (Western Carolina University). The marching band up there is 325 stong w/ 18 Baritone players including myself. I know I am going to have to get a new mouthpiece and was wondering what would be the best one to get.

In my opinion you can never go wrong with a Bach 6 1/2 AL.

But you might want to check into what type of baritone the band uses and if they have a preferred brand of mouthpiece.

I play a Bach trombone and the Bach mouthpiece sounds great with it. It was no problem to switch the mouthpiece over to a Yamaha baritone - just had to get a shank adapter because the bore on my trombone is smaller that the one on my baritone.

Edited by SaraNYC

I had some problems with tone spread for a while when I was playing a Yamaha trombone and I was using a gold plated Denis Wick for a bit. (equal to a 6 1/2 AL size) Went back to the Bach when I got a new trombone.

The Wick was definately a softer edge on the chops, but I tried it with my Yamaha bari and it wasn't happening so I stuck with my Bach.

It's important to try out different kinds and try to find what is most comfortable for you and what you get the best sound out of. You could ask 20 different players and get 20 different answers ;)

Schilke 51D is my favorite all around mouthpiece for concert euph and playing second or lead parts on the bugle closely followed by the Bach 5GS Megatone. However for playing the euph bugle I use my trash can, a Bach 2G :) I recomend the Shilke 51D or Bach 5GS though for better versatility (sp?)

Shilke 51D all the way. Basically anything but a 12c or 6 1/2 AL. They're meant for beginner players.

Gee, thanks for the tip kid.

I'll think of that comment and laugh the next time I'm off playing somewhere on a paying gig with my 6 1/2 AL.

:worthy:

A 6 1/2 is pretty standard. I still play on mine on my small trombone. It all depends on what level you are at support wise. The bigger mouthpieces like the 5G have a better sound if you can fill them up. If you have played on a smaller mouthpiece for a while, it will usually take a bit for your chops to adapt to the difference. They will wear you out faster until you adjust!!! If you like the 6 1/2. don't use the adaptor. Buy a large bore 6 1/2. I like the 51D myself.... Played a Benge 1 1/4 H when I played bass bone in a big band a few years back. It was great!!!

Schilke 51D is my favorite all around mouthpiece for concert euph and playing second or lead parts on the bugle closely followed by the Bach 5GS Megatone. However for playing the euph bugle I use my trash can, a Bach 2G :) I recomend the Shilke 51D or Bach 5GS though for better versatility (sp?)

:worthy:

I will concur with my learned friend here, even though I found a 2G a little strange to play on a bugle. I have one I used for years as my 'winter' mouthpiece, switching to my 6 1/2AL once we went outside. BTW, I had been given the 2G by a friend who had the shank ground down to get into a bugle bore...a piston /rotor bugle none the less. That's what I used it on. The 5G or GS is a great piece for range and power, but the 51D will probably give you the combination you will need in an 18 member section in a huge band...Of course, nothing works better than good old fashioned BYFBO ( with tone when possible..LOL)

Pat