Baritone/Euphonium mouthpieces?

speedrush

I prefer the Wick SM 4 or the Schilke 51D on Euph. The 6 1\2 AL is a pea shooter :P

You know, it's funny - I have a huge fat sound and I play a Bach 36 straight tenor trombone because I can't stand my sound through anything smaller. (But with my Sterling silver bell I can cut through anything ;) ...and yes, my horn was custom made)

But that 6 1/2 AL works just fine for what I have going on. Which is lead and high section jazz band playing and a lot of jazz improv in both big band and combo situations. Us jazzers, always doing our own thing...

I used a 7C when I marched Star back in 1985 with a King 2-valve. That was when I smoked - that 7C made it a little easier to hit the high notes. For a while I was thinking about a custom made 7C cup with a 6 1/2 shank, but then I finally quit smoking instead. B)

I agree, if I played Euph, I would probably want to play around with something bigger. But frankly, if I start doing the corps thing again on a regular basis, it will have to be in a way that is least disruptive to my trombone playing. So I'm sticking to a baritone. I might break down and buy a larger bore Bach for my the bari at some point. I love the way my Wick feels on my chops, but I just don't like the sound it produces.

Personally, I think a 6 1/2 AL is a little small. I think on a Bach 36, that works fine...especially for jazz. (I've never seen someone use a Bach 36 for lead jazz trombone. If done right, I imagine it's gotta be freakin loud! Ok, back on topic.) For a baritone, you need something a little bigger. I use a Bach 5G, mainly because that's what I use on my Bach 42 trombone, and I try not to switch equipment too much. But even though that works great for me on trombone, I have trouble getting a nice round sound on my lower notes on baritone. Schilke 51D might be the way to go for a round sound...especially if you're not accusomed to one particular mouthpiece and you're willing to try new things.

Edited by boneman2000

Thanks for the advice everyone. Right now I am playing a Vincent Bach 61/2AL. I like it and everything but I didn't know if there was anything out there that might work alittle better. Ya up at WCU they are playing Yamaha Baritone.

Shilke 51D all the way. Basically anything but a 12c or 6 1/2 AL. They're meant for beginner players.

Gee, thanks for the tip kid.

I'll think of that comment and laugh the next time I'm off playing somewhere on a paying gig with my 6 1/2 AL.

:worthy:

SWEET!!

I like you already Sara!!! :P

I'm in total agreement. The Bach 61/2 AL is a great mouthpiece for Bari and tenor Trom. It has been the standard for good reason! It's as big and deep a mouthpiece as I would want for a Bari.

I played the Bach 2G for Bass Trombone for many years and if I ever had to play euph (God help me) thats what I would choose.

The Bach 6 1/2 AL has worked great for me in many situations for the last 20 years. Before I switched to that, I played on a 12C, which is too small. Never tried a Schilke 51D, though. I have a Bach 5G for large bore tenor trombone and euphonium that is better for those horns than the 6 1/2 AL.