anyone remember the keystoners?

a guy i work with told me a few weeks ago that his dad had marched with a corps from Milton (pa) being that im still pretty young i never even knew they had a corps in Milton. i did some looking around and found out that they were called the Keystoners, and a little info about parades and some competition stuff, but not much else. i was wondering if anyone could give me a little history lesson? i live pretty close to milton so this is a piece of history i'd actually like to know about. plus my co-worker was hoping to learn a little more about what the organization his dad marched with was like...

Check out Info on the RCA thread I started here in the Historic Forum. The Keystoners were mentioned there a few times but not much info outside of the pink and black unis.

I'd like to find out myself. We (Westshoremen) had a couple of Keystoners join us in 77 or 78 but I can't remember if the Keystoners were inactive or they just wanted to compete in DCA. Keystoners held the Bucknell show for years and was a bunch of their Alumni there last year.

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

I remember the Keystoners being a regular participant at DCA Prelims for several years during the mid-to-late 1980s. They never made Finals, though.

Fran

Wow I just learned something, thought their history stopped totally in the 80s.

Keystoners were started in 1947 i believe( trying to remember from the Lewisburg program i now cant find). I believe their last year was 1988, altho i dont remember seeing their name on DCA prelims records tillike 84 or 85.

many former Keystoners came to Westshore at certain times...Templin, Wilt, the Criswells, Leroy griffiths...always a great group of fun people

My late husband taught the Milton Keystoners in the '50's. They used to send a single engine plane to North Philly Airport to pick him up. The pilot was a 'crop duster' and the flight to Milton always ended with "Turn right at the Acme Market to get to the field". Harry Ginther who taught the drums quit going to Milton because of the plane ride.

The Drum Major and Director for the Keystoners was Lou Kepler. He also ran the Cavalcade of Drums in the '50's and '60's. Lou died in 2001. While they were competing, they won the Pennsylvania State Class B Championship at least once that I can remember. The entire town turned out to welcome them back.

I have pictures of them somewhere. Don't remember their uniform other than a brown color, but their hats were distinctive. Rather like the hat you see the British Horse Guard (Blues & Royals) wearing.

Interesting note....several of the Keystoners were among the first victims of Legionaires Disease. The Milton Legion had sent a large delegation to that fateful State Legion Convention in Philadelphia.

You're right - they were and are a great group of people.

Carol Hooton

oh thats right they won that title in 1957. i remember seeing that in the program book

Interesting note....several of the Keystoners were among the first victims of Legionaires Disease. The Milton Legion had sent a large delegation to that fateful State Legion Convention in Philadelphia.

Carol Hooton

Didn't realize that one Carol. I remember that one victim drove bus for a either a small Jr or All Girl corps (can't remember which). Wonder if that was one of the Keystoners.