anyone remember the keystoners?

this is some interesting stuff. Thanx everyone!

if i remember correctly my co-worker said that his dad had been drum major at one point, but he wasn't sure what years he was there. I dont know his first name but his last name is Fitz-Patrick. by the way he talks, his dad marched sometime in the 60's to early 70's but thats just a guess on my part.

Carol, was that "Wild Bill" Hooten?? Such cool history!

The thing I remember most about the Keystoners were the pink satin tops they wore. No way you'd confuse them with anyone else! And they hosted one of the greatest competitions that existed in its time.

Carol, was that "Wild Bill" Hooten??  Such cool history!

The thing I remember most about the Keystoners were the pink satin tops they wore.  No way you'd confuse them with anyone else!  And they hosted one of the greatest competitions that existed in its time.

I marched with a couple of Keystoners in Steel City (Don Fenninger and Jeff Kostelnik....Jeff's sister too). We used to jag them and call them the 'Keyboners'!

I remember they had a problem with their horns being lent or sold to Duch Boy around 1990...anybody else here about this?

yes all too well, as the horns eventually ended up at Westshore. Next time i seeWilt or the Criswell's i'll have them update me about the facts. I do know it almost ended in litigation

• 4 weeks later...

Here are a couple Keystoner scores,..........................

19 July 1963 Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania State Legion Championships

Class A Seniors

1. Archer-Epler Musketeers 87.90

2. Reading Buccaneers 84.18

3. Pittsburgh Rockets 82.28

Class B Seniors

1. Westmoreland Esquires 78.01

2. Milton Keystoners 76.28

3. Latrobe Colonials 73.53

4. Bangor Yellow Jackets 73.35

5. Meadville Thunderbirds 72.58

6. Sharpsburg Cadets 72.03

7. Warren Carnplanters 71.26

8. Hanover Lancers 66.15

16 July 1965 Pennsylvania

American Legion Championships

Class "B" Seniors:

1. Hanover Lancers 72.950

2. Emmaus Sentinels 72.100

3. Milton Keystoners 71.216

4. Sharpsburg Cadets 68.516

5. Vern Acklin 68.216

6. Meadville Thunderbirds 67.333

7. Bangor Yellow Jackets 65.916

8. Invaders 49.066

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting note....several of the Keystoners were among the first victims of Legionaires Disease. The Milton Legion had sent a large delegation to that fateful State Legion Convention in Philadelphia.

My dad, little sister and little brother were also at the 1976 Philly convention with the Gen. Butler Vagabonds Cadets. I recall hearing that a bus driver from the Keystoners died from legionaires disease. No one from the Vagabonds came down with it however.

• 3 weeks later...

It's a small world.

I am sitting here looking at a Keystoners' french horn case right this moment. Inside is a De La Salle Bb french horn from 1956. I don't know how the two items ever got together but I bought the horn from the Preston Scout House Alumni Band two years ago when they bought a brand new set of Yamaha horns. I was curious about the case because I had heard of the Keystoners but never saw them in action and never knew anything of their history. Now I do.

It's a small world.

I am sitting here looking at a Keystoners' french horn case right this moment.  Inside is a De La Salle Bb french horn from 1956.  I don't know how the two items ever got together but I bought the horn from the Preston Scout House Alumni Band two years ago when they bought a brand new set of Yamaha horns.  I was curious about the case because I had heard of the Keystoners but never saw them in action and never knew anything of their history.  Now I do.

It boggles the mind! A Bb horn in a G case :P

Waay back when I bought a record (yeah that WAS long ago) that had Sr corps from around 1959/60. Some of the intros from the PA system were on the album. The intro to one corps (Archie?) started "The Keystoners proudly present..." Wonder if that recording is still around besides on the album in my basement.

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

This thread is why I love DCP.

Good stuff.