anyone remember the keystoners?

• 1 month later...

WOW! I still have my old pink Keystoners t-shirt. Actually, it was loaned to me by Ken and Barbie from their mellophone line and I never saw them again to return it!

The shirt still draws questions when I wear it to MCL rehearsals. Not that I am in the habit of wearing pink, mind you...

Haven't seen Dale Criswell in years but I run into Don Fenninger and his daughter at least once a year here, there and everywhere.

MAR-JEAN ZAMPERINI! You're still out there? Amazing! Where have you been the last ten years of my life?!?

SMA

• 4 weeks later...
My late husband taught the Milton Keystoners in the '50's. They used to send a single engine plane to North Philly Airport to pick him up. The pilot was a 'crop duster' and the flight to Milton always ended with "Turn right at the Acme Market to get to the field". Harry Ginther who taught the drums quit going to Milton because of the plane ride.

The Drum Major and Director for the Keystoners was Lou Kepler. He also ran the Cavalcade of Drums in the '50's and '60's. Lou died in 2001. While they were competing, they won the Pennsylvania State Class B Championship at least once that I can remember. The entire town turned out to welcome them back.

I have pictures of them somewhere. Don't remember their uniform other than a brown color, but their hats were distinctive. Rather like the hat you see the British Horse Guard (Blues & Royals) wearing.

Interesting note....several of the Keystoners were among the first victims of Legionaires Disease. The Milton Legion had sent a large delegation to that fateful State Legion Convention in Philadelphia.

You're right - they were and are a great group of people.

Carol Hooton

WOW! You and your memory never cease to absolutely amaze me!! You GO Girl!!

Love ya!

this is some interesting stuff. Thanx everyone!

if i remember correctly my co-worker said that his dad had been drum major at one point, but he wasn't sure what years he was there. I dont know his first name but his last name is Fitz-Patrick. by the way he talks, his dad marched sometime in the 60's to early 70's but thats just a guess on my part.

http://historical-drum-corps-publications....ay-francis.html

and

http://makeashorterlink.com/?F2721253D

Those are just a couple in my listings so far... enjoy! Share them with your co-worker too!

One of Two of the only recording made of the Keystoners maybe bough at Fleetwood Sounds on the net . Year 1965 Cavalcade of Champions , includes Caballeros . Keystoners . Long Island Sunrisers . Les Diplomats

And YOU, my drum corps friends can get a taste of these on Diceman Radio. We have 1957 and 1965 Keystoners .... just shoot me an email and let me know that you are listening.... and I'll gladly play one or both for you.

:)

Keystoners were started in 1947 i believe( trying to remember from the Lewisburg program i now cant find). I believe their last year was 1988, altho i dont remember seeing their name on DCA prelims records tillike 84 or 85.

many former Keystoners came to Westshore at certain times...Templin, Wilt, the Criswells, Leroy griffiths...always a great group of fun people

There is presently a Keystone Regiment Senior Drum and Bugle Corps from Altoona. A Pam Kane posted a message on the PennsylvaniaDCHOF website stating that they are a senior parade corps that started back in 2002. I remember seeing them in a parade in Somerset, Pa. a couple of years ago.

I remember the Milton Keystoners in 1968 at LaSalle College in Philadelphia at the AL championships. They were pretty sure they had won when the Erie Thunderbirds eased a mere 5 points ahead (under the tic system) to take the Class B Championship. I still have a framed poster. General admission? One dollar B)

• 5 months later...

Hello All--

I marched with the Keystoners from 1985 to 1988, and at that time Drum Corps World was running editorials saying one should remain with the hometown corps...that it is more rewarding when they finally "make it". I listened and have regretted that I stayed loyal with them when my grandmother would've sent me to any junior corps I wanted to go. Despite the challenges faced by a small corps in central PA, we had some talented members--many of which went on to march elsewhere, as I gather from this thread.

The Criswell family in particular was very generous to those from out of town; every summer weekend myself and often others would stay overnight out in their camper rather than drive back and forth...we had a blast with them!

About 6 Bluecoats did indeed join us for the end of (I believe) the 1987 season, and I believe in 1988 a lady from the struggling Bridgemen brought her children and some friends up for the last part of the summer with us--then the next year they marched Sunrisers.

A lover's dispute the weekend of DCA Championships resulted in two people not marching 1987 DCA Championships--and their bad attitude may have contributed to 2 or 3 others out as well---which I'm sure made us look real good to the very professional Bluecoats who were with us. I look to little things like that as contributing to why the Keystoners are not around today.

After 1988 some instructors, evidently as part of a financial dispute regarding their pay, elected to keep their horns--along with those who commuted with them--which took away a good chunk of the excellent King Sopranos. Then apparently Dutch Boy borrowed, or was to lease, some of the remaining horns.

A local businessman had kindly donated a complete set of new King silver-plated bugles in 1985. G Two-valve horns--they were excellent as long as you cleaned them.

Regards--

John

Edited by John Mock

WOW! I still have my old pink Keystoners t-shirt. Actually, it was loaned to me by Ken and Barbie from their mellophone line and I never saw them again to return it!

The shirt still draws questions when I wear it to MCL rehearsals. Not that I am in the habit of wearing pink, mind you...

Haven't seen Dale Criswell in years but I run into Don Fenninger and his daughter at least once a year here, there and everywhere.

MAR-JEAN ZAMPERINI! You're still out there? Amazing! Where have you been the last ten years of my life?!?

SMA

Dale aka Sarge and Pat moved to Flordia in the late 90s. Dale Jr. aka Peanut is still in the area with his wife and kids. Just saw him at Bucknell this summer. They were such a great bunch of guys (from Milton) and they brought so much to our corps when they marched.