Strutta : I believe I recognized that St. Kevins song your group played. I Believe it was " All the Things you Are " if I'm not mistaken. Was that the one you played ?  Are the Legends of Mass. going to put on an exhibition, do you guys know, at Foxboro for next years DCI ?

That wasn't the name on the top of the music as the title was only three words. However, it might be part of the lyrics.

I do not know the Legends plans vis a vis DCI Finals in Boston. I also do not represent the corps or corps management and would not want to presume to do so.

IMHO, I do not believe there will be anything like what the 27th Lancers pulled off in 1994 on Finals night. I did hear some talk of possible exhibitions at Finals week events such as DCI meetings or clinics, etc but nothing has been really discussed, much less determined at this point. I would say, stay tuned as it'll be all over this board and RAMD if something is actually planned.

In the meantime, anyone in the New England area that's interested in a fun (soft commitment) way to get your drum corps performance fix, come down to the Legends. Check out their website at: www.legendsofdrumcorps.org .

Edited by strutta

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does a corps HAVE to have a certain style?? Why is it not good to be different each year? Whether the fans like it or not, education is a huge part of the MEMBERS of a drum corps also. Various musical styles are a good thing people. Second of all, they are not the (Alabama Cavaliers), THey are Spirit. Yeah so the writers are the same. What's so bad about that??????

I know people are entitled to opinions of the show, and that is perfectly fine, BUT bashing the design team and staff is really not very appropriate. So "YOU" might not care for the show, but there are MANY MANY others who really like it.

Constructive criticism of a drum corps is not "bashing". Spirit has retained many of the Cavaliers designers, and quite a few reviews have made note of the "Cavalieresque" arrangements and drill.

Is there anything wrong with that? Of course not. But Spirit didn't hit the Top 6 before by copying others. The uniqueness of the "Southern corps from Dixie" gave Spirit its initial mystique and identity, and let them carve out their own niche.

That's what it comes down to. :)

Thanks for the info, Strutta. The Legends would be best served, in my opinion, to not attempt a 27th Lancers field exhibition ala '94 anyway. So that's good to hear. Your Legends look to me like a group that could definately entertain Drum Corps fans during DCI Championship week in a standstill format though. I'd definately put that in my " must see " category that week should that happen . Good luck to your Group.

Edited by Lieut. General Effect

Why does a corps HAVE to have a certain style?? Why is it not good to be different each year? Whether the fans like it or not, education is a huge part of the MEMBERS of a drum corps also. Various musical styles are a good thing people. Second of all, they are not the (Alabama Cavaliers), THey are Spirit. Yeah so the writers are the same. What's so bad about that??????

I know people are entitled to opinions of the show, and that is perfectly fine, BUT bashing the design team and staff is really not very appropriate. So "YOU" might not care for the show, but there are MANY MANY others who really like it.

Believe it or not, if the Blue Devils came out playng a straight classical show or Phantom breaks out with a show of broadway tunes, people will lose their minds more than they have over amplification.

While it's nice to say corps should play different styles every year, those original styles are what drew fans, and members, to them in the first place.

Good point, EKBari. I actually enjoyed Spirit this year. But I do agree with some posters here like you that Spirit could be even better in future year's if they can find that style that made them unique. On the other hand, this is really a transitional period for this corps. I'm pleased they are back with a fine show, even if it's not quite the Spirit Corps we came to know and love in the past.

Believe it or not, if the Blue Devils came out playng a straight classical show or Phantom breaks out with a show of broadway tunes, people will lose their minds more than they have over amplification.

Blue Devils DID do a straight classical show - 2000 (crappiest show of the last 30 years for them too)

Blue Devils DID do a straight classical show - 2000 (crappiest show of the last 30 years for them too)

Hmm, the opener sounded pretty jazzy to me.

And weren't they from movie soundtracks?

Methods of Madness - A Night Piece For Orchestra..Prelude & Blues (from Taxi Driver) * Prelude (from On Dangerous Ground) * Prelude (from Psycho) * Scene d' Amour (from Vertigo) * The Wild Ride (from North By Northwest)

Yup, all movie soundtracks.

Edited by bawker2000

It worked for some, but the Blue Devils doing " Tommy " just didn't seem to fit as another example. At least not for me anyway. But I can count on one hand the number of times the Devils did a show, that it didn't seem to fit for me.

As a stand alone show, I thought "Tommy" was great. Especially the color guard. But when placed into context between the 89 and 91 shows, stylistically, it a real WTF moment.