Heshey, PA Review - Senior Division

Guest GeorgeD

Guest GeorgeD

Prologue:

I left my father’s hospital room in Alexandria, VA exactly 2 hours and 45 minutes prior to the National Anthem being played. My date for the show this evening had just canceled on me...

Only problem is-the Anthem and the show were in both Hershey, PA and darn Map Quest is telling me it’s a three and one-half hour drive. Times like this make me very happy I bought a German automobile. I closed my eyes and pictured myself on the abandoned rural German autobahn. I opened my eyes just over 2 and one-half hours later and I was sitting in backed up traffic entering the Hershey Park complex! Directed to the most distant spot in the most distant lot of the huge complex (I know, that’s what I get for showing up late) I glanced nervously at my watch – eleven minutes now prior to the announced start time.

Only problem is – I am now still sitting in the very distant corner of the very distant parking lot AND I still needed a show ticket. Vanished from any possible reality was hanging out with various friends prior to the show (sorry guys, family first).

So- I did what any dedicated drum corps nut would do - I took off like Bruce Jenner (He IS fifty-five or so by now, right?) across the parking lot and toward the ticket booth. Boy – drum corps sure is popular in PA – SECTION SOLD OUT – SECTION SOLD OUT- SECTION SOLD OUT – scrawled far across the posted seating chart.

Sigh, it looked like my destiny was the ten-yard line!

Just then –a savior– -an angel- an older gentlemen with a saintly glow about him --whispered in my direction: “Young man (lol), you wouldn’t happen to be looking for a single ticket, would you? My wife couldn’t make it.” I was SAVED. Suddenly, three minutes prior to the step off of the first unit I was in my seat – high up on the forty-five yard line!

Show Review:

Weather: perfect – 80’s, low humidity, dry conditions!

Stadium: packed – big stands, great grass field – but rather far back from the field (track and then some around the field)

Seating: 45-yard line – high up!

The anthems – missed them! As I ran across the parking lots like (an aged) Bruce Jenner, I did notice two pairs of skydivers jumping from a small plane overhead – the first pair carrying the Canadian Flag, the second pair with the American Flag. The program stated the Bon Bon Alumni Chorus of NJ sang the anthem. The Bon Bon’s were an all-girl trail-blazing junior corps that disbanded in the mid-seventies. The alumni chorus was formed in 1994, and this was their third appearance at the Hershey Spectacular to sing the National Anthems. (Sorry I missed them; they have always been very good)

see also:

George's Junior Corps Review From Hershey (other thread)

Senior Division (DCA)

Hawthorne Caballeros: Hawthorne, NJ

Size: 50 brass, 30 guard, 10 CG, 8 pit, 5 snare, 2 tenor, 5 bass, 4 drum majors (I had to count fast)

Caballeros presented “Muchachos” based upon the now famous 1975 Muchachos program. The show opened with a very effective Larry Kerchner original “Pictures of Spain” – showing off the big sound of the talented brass line and then Latin sounds of the pit and battery. Versatility was demonstrated in the horn line when they moved into “Pines of Rome” and then the powerful “La Fiesta”. “Carnival Jive”, the fast paced percussion feature (too short, imo) “Ritual” sets up the finale which includes the original “Gregorian Chant”, “Concerto De Aranjuez” and the reprise of “Pictures of Spain.” The Caballeros are a very talented corps, in all sections. The guard was young and “WGI” in the staging and equipment book (meaning, modern). The horn line approach was more traditional and filled with soloists that could put many corps to shame. As the staff reins this talent in, the line will be a force to be reckoned with. Currently, they tend to sound like 50 soloists at points in the program (a problem a lot of corps would kill to have) but I am sure that later in the season the ensemble sound will lock in more fully. The drill was quite aggressive and well performed– I noticed the visual design was the work of Marc Sylvester of Cadet fame. The crowd loved the Cabs, as did I. Most enjoyable and a great way to kick off a wonderful night of drum corps! Score: 73.40

Brigadiers: Syracuse, NY

Size: BIG – 65ish Brass, 4 CG, 4 tenor, 5 bass, 12 pit, 7 snare, 2 DM, 36 guard

Presenting the program entitled “Picasso Sketchbook” the Brigadiers were all business. Obviously not hurting for money or members, defending DCA champions were impressive from top to bottom as they presented a classy and professional program in the style of the 1994 Blue Devils – complete with “monkey drumming” and great soloists. The large and talented guard opened backdrops matching each set of “Picasso-like” silks, which corresponded to each number. Pit was aggressive and did a nice job of sound projection. Good dark horn ensemble sound as they moved through the opener “Spanish Fantasy” and into a great arrangement of Chick Corea’s “Day Danse.” The emotional ballad “Guaguanco” moved right into the closer “All or Nothing at All”. This Syracuse unit is very far along in their program development this season – with little of the timing problems that plagued the other Senior units in the division – only some back to front issues at times, side-to-side was well locked in. I couldn’t help but notice in the program that the staff reads like a “who’s who” of the activity – It showed. Score: 78.05

Buccanners: Reading, PA

Size: 3 DM, 12 Pit, 44ish Brass, 5 Bass, 4 tenor, 5 cymbal, 8 snare, 36 guard, 6 CG

Local crowd favorite Bucs bit off a whale of a program last night – drawing from two of the most memorable recent junior corps programs – the 1992 Star of Indiana patriotic program (“Star Spangled Overture” & “Flag of Stars”) combined with 1987 Cadets’ approach toward “Appalachian Spring”. The corps’ brass section was a bit behind the guard and percussion units – and had some problems in their program worthy of perhaps some rewrites. I remember seeing Star’s performance of their ’92 program on this very field – and I couldn’t help but compare the brass performances in my mind – a comparison perhaps no other corps would relish. Battery was very talented and played with good confidence, but timing-wise spent a lot of the program dragging the brass along for the journey, multiple ensemble tears throughout the program. Guard did a very nice job of interpreting the program’s theme, with see-through American flags used to great effect. Overall, a great job by a young-ish corps. With a couple months remaining in the DCA season, this programs shows great potential. Get out the fire-hose and aim it at the brass book and Bucs can have a good showing in Scranton! 71.40

Bushwackers: Harrison, NJ

Size: 2 DM, 38 Brass, 20 Guard, 5 bass, 3 tenor, 6 snare, 7 pit, 0 cymbals

(Note: one snare started in the pit and joined in after the opener)

(Note: crushed red-velvet is now the official guard uniform of the 2002 DCA season)

The Bushwackers entertained the crowd with their 2002 program “The Myths Of Fire” playing selections “Inferno”, “Vesuvius” & “Firebird Suite.” Another “junior corps style” senior unit, this corps took the geometric drill approach of the Cavaliers while mixing in 1993 Phantom Regiment’s now famous “wedge-of-death” drill move. The program shows really nice potential but is not as far along as the other DCA competitors here tonight: guard work was very incomplete, the entire visual book needed flushed out and had that “just on the field” feel to it. One thing holding their horn line back at this point was lack of number in the low end, numbering just 4 contras tonight. Good job though - putting out a balanced ensemble sound and I have no doubt this corps will rapidly improve and clean during the season. Score: 69.10

George's Junior Corps Review From Hershey (other thread)