Hershey...the good, the Bad, The party

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh....the home show. started the day chasing rehearsals.....seemed my luck changed as monday, i all but flew to see Coats and got there in time to see em pack up. So, get to Cabs...the lunch time run thru!! Had a great view of the Latin guys in the pit. And Mr Russo...you are a legend in the activity, but trust me, you do not want this tone deaf drummer playing tympani.

Also go to see Bush and Boston for a bit, as well as Spirit's final run thru of the day. Thank you to all the central PA schools who housed corps.

the easiest time EVER getting into hershey's parking lot...no Joe Security guys on steroids, no ego...thank you sir, park there have a great time.

and we did!

I wont try to match any other reviews...all views are my own. Also, I take into account the fact that it is July 6th and I do not expect corps to be crystal clean. I sat on the 45, my back againts the press box.

Bush....this show can be a great vehicle for you guys. Brass had some stamina issues, but jeromey cut thru well in his solos. Right now, IMO, your percussion is holding you back...performance wise, and to a point, design as well. However you have the greatest of gifts drumwise if the staff can milk it...youth. They do not know enough to quit. When cleaned and w/a few additions/deletions along the way, this show could make some noise. I hope to see it do so.

Bucs......First show jitters were apparent. Right now, the biggest thing your show needs is a good kick in the ### tempo wise...the drill is nice...the hornline has a great sound...guard awesome as always. But blah. slow. I think the design is well done as has become your forte, it j8ust needs some life thrown into it. bass drums the best section percussion wise, but snares have some very interesting segmental stuff going on within the line...2 here, 2 there etc.....that will translate well....i said it at the Forum, i'll say it now....add some bodies, kick tempos in the but and you have a chance. til that happens, you will be where you are. Fan Freindly adaptions of 92 Star and 87 Cadets, that even 'mom and dad" drum corps could follow.

Cabs.......key issue here....holes and a drumline together for 4 weeks. Fill in the holes, get them up to speed and the drill will obviously come across better. drumline needs a lot of time together...they did nail some stuff, but it seemed like there 3/4 different techniques going at once. Guard right now, besides Jimmy, is the best thing on the field. And.....I didnt mind not seeing the pinwheel. It will grow on me. The arraingments are very true to 75 Chachos, so huge props there.

I look forward to seeing how far you guys and Bucs come next week when i see ya at Reading.

Brigs.....big. loud(tho not as loud as past years yet) the props...eh...embellish em more. they didnt do a lot tonoight for most of the crowd. They do move more than last year, especially the snares. the BD stuff in the beginning of the show is right off the cd/video, even the monkey drumming. very active drumline, but please...do something w/the bottom heads on the snares....from up high, the tuning sounded very muddy. The killer quads are back and are a small show in themselves. great soloists, and a guard thatwill be in the hunt.

Yes...Brigs are good...and more prepared than most. can they maintain? That is the question.

Juniors...Magic....wow...huge...clean.....really friggen good. The music, while unfamiliar to me, was very entertaining, and the biggest thing it lacked tonight was a little GE...seemed a little flat, but yes, they are back. The new unis looks really nice, and some killer flags that helped fit the ethnic feel of the music(yes i noticed flags)

Kiwanis...sorry...i had to run to the bathroom....I missed you this week. sounded good from downstairs and Christine said you guys improved a lot since Lansdale.

Spirit.....what a difference a week makes....the feet have cleaned up, and i am not sure why the score was where it was. the second half of the show is the best right now....it has the most drive and energy. perc and brass continue to play well, it seems the visual is the hold up. i still think you have a great chance. And...thank you for the parking lot concert of Salvation and Georgia...i set down my drink to go listen.

Blueocats......d### kiddies, this corps is for real, and they beat Boston to prove it. Very active drill, guard uniforms that DO NOT have some d### shade of yellow.....heh, they even show off some body! drummers rejoice...killer tenor line, great snare line and bass line has come a long way. Pit....wow...great sound, and tons of notes. traffic indeed will be come a show highlight as the season goes on. These guys will be in that pack of like 6/7 corps who want to break 90 and scare some people...and this year Blue may be able to do it.

Boston......Ok...yes, the AS stuff is very 97 cadets, yes they do a variation of the company front that disloves and resolves and several similar body moves. Ya know what??WHO CARES?? They do it well...very well. best drumline BAC has had since they began their finalist run, and in the Artie Shaw tune, they let their hair down and jam. The ballad.....i liked the sninging....tho the words didnt come out very clear all the way up where i sat.

cadets....Cadet haters, you wont this year. This show continues to to grow and expand...new is a memorial w/an American flag and pole off to the left.

New this week was part of the Pledge of Allegiance in the ballad.....yes, they defied the court and did it. Was told by a Cadet booster we havent seen the last of new stuff. They are going to milk this all the way and i hope they do. Boogie Woogie kicks ###, and the closer was more hyped than last week. multiple standing O's, and by far, the best corps here, and the favorite too.

Crossmne...opener seemed flat tonight. However, it seems the perc has the groove feel down better. Ballad came across very well upstairs. and Strawberry Soup....it will kill. I agree w/what someone else said about every snare book ending in 16ths....it does go overboard. You guys will be in the hunt...keep cleaning and work on the GE.

who did I see in the lot? More like who didnt I see! well....I didnt see DCP guru George(grrrr...i told you to call me) security let the tailgating go longer this year, and I am proud to say it was my crew and the Baltimore Brigs crew who were last in the lot(and since we all had Shore ties, it was ok, as thats Hershey tradition!) Fran....your mother in law has the tape....make sure Barb gets it. and btw...I hope you all stopped down to say hi to Mrs Mowbray....it seemed so right seeing her back on the track in her scooter. hey Mike from LC....did you spy on me enough? lol...see at your monster home show. Also met Eric Senzig, DCW writer/rAMD reviewer and brigs brass member this year...he comes up from texas...thats dedication!

Five Star......great job, great show. thank you and see you again next year.

(anyone spy on me?)

God it sounds like you had a great time !!

Agree with your Bluecoats and Magic views......(as usual)

Would have been there as you know but work offered me double time if I would go in this morning(3am..) couldn't pass that up !!

I personaly didnt send any spies, but I'm sure they were 'a buzzin' !! LOL

~G~

Thanks Jeff for your awesome review....I can't wait to see the corps performance!!!!

6 Days left until DCM!!!!

Thanks for the good review.Where were yinz guys.We were celebrating New Years in the lot where most of the corps were.See ya in Reading.

J :P

PS Reading is a formal party ,Jeff,so get that prom dress out of mothballs,and I said 'HI JEFFY' to Jeff,NO LIE,NO CONSPRIRACY,NO DISCUSSION OF ANYONE,OR EVERYONE.

:D

Oh yeah,to the gate nazis that wouldnt let me in after I was done performing to see TWO corps(I took my uni off to go to critique,and I only wanted to see the last 2 jr corps)step up to my mike and blow. ^0^