>Crossmen: I didn't see the demand that everyone was talking about

>(especially visually....they don't even touch a difficult musical passage if

>they are moving).

Well, this is simply not true at all.

Gotta defend my team (and my drillwriter) here. "Heat of the Day" is

one of the most complex and intricate (not to mention exposed) musical

selections on the field this summer. We could have taken the easy way

out and stood still while each section of the brass played the initial

rhythmic melody statements, but we didn't. It's ALL done on the move.

The exposure and simultaneous demand of what our performers have

been asked to do, given what they are playing, is one of the most

impressive things I've ever seen in drum corps. It's an aggressive,

daring, risky, and ballsy approach to a very complex piece of music.

I could think of at least 14 or 15 drill sets in the opener alone where

the challenge of what they are playing is extreme along with what

they are doing on the move.

As far as the demand of the rest of the visual program, the ends of

"Heat of the Day" and "Strawberry Soup" are towards the extreme

end of the spectrum as far as difficulty goes, and there are several

other points in those songs where the challenge is comparable with

anything the "top" corps are doing. And, like other corps, we have

plans (and have already started) on making some of the less

demanding things in the program more interesting and challenging

for our performers. Where we end up in the competitive mix will

be determined by how clean we can get (like everyone else), but

unlike other years, we have MUCH more ammunition to work with

in terms of talent and program design.

For a first-year drum corps drillwriter, Darryl Pemberton will be a

name to be reckoned with for years to come in the drum corps

ac tivity.

I can appreciate your criticism, especially the fact that you chose not

to make it a blatant biased attack (your stance on the YEA corps is

well documented). And just like it upset you to read what you thought

was unfair and inappropriate criticism of the Bluecoats' show (which

you addressed in your review), that's how I feel about your comments

towards the Crossmen. Thanks for your time...I'm glad you appreciate

the entertainment value of our 2002 show. I hope you take a closer

look at the content of the program the next time you see it.

Have a great summer.....

wow, now the reviews get reviewed. i am almost afraid to see what people say about mine

I'd tell you but I'd hate to drive you to suicide, my friend... ^0^

This is one thing I hate about these forums...they get a little ticky tacky. I kind of broke down a couple corps performances from George's review (as I SAW IT) and now we have feelings hurt. Look, I don't care what you think, this is what I saw and heard, this is what I heard from people sitting around me (not with my group), and quite frankly I stand by what I said. I see more demand in other shows (maybe or maybe not Bluecoats).

Another reason why I hate these forums is that because you criticize a show doesn't mean you don't like it. h###, I bashed the Bluecoats for some 4 years as an alumnus because I thought their shows were severely lacking in GE and their visual designs were a joke. I'm still pro-Bluecoat (they do things the right way for the right reasons), but I ALWAYS call it as I see it.

I liked the Xmen show last year. I like their show this year (Strawberry Soup will probably grow on me, it's just going to take a few viewings). There are things I like and dislike in every performance. My comments were mainly directed at people that had previously reviewed the show (I didn't see or hear what they had reviewed....maybe I will upon another viewing). Heck the people reviewing this show made it sound like the second coming of the '67 Royal Aires.

There's an east coast bias against the midwest (not sure why....maybe because we didn't let you plug in your microphones). You can stick your heads in the sand and deny it all you want, but it exists. I wonder how the Glassmen would do on the east coast?

Again, these are my opinions based on what I like in the activity. You are certainly free to simply disregard what I have to say if you don't (or never) agree with my statements. Ilook forward to seeing all of these corps again, especially the Crossmen.

Interesting takes on all the shows. . .

One thing I'll say right up front about the Crossmen's performance that night. . .

We were BORING!!!!!! Little energy -- still suffering from too many July 4th parades, a free day, and had not gotten the changes in yet.

All 'n' all, an uninspired performance by a group of people who learned something that night.

Now. . . Ogdensberg. . . THAT'S a horse of a different color!

:)

Look for great things from the Xmen shortly.

B)

my best,

Chuck Naffier

Again, these are my opinions based on what I like in the activity.  You are certainly free to simply disregard what I have to say if you don't (or never) agree with my statements.  Ilook forward to seeing all of these corps again, especially the Crossmen.

Darren, whether I agree or disagree with your opinions, I can honestly tell you that I very much appreciate you offering them here on DCP.

Unfortunately, the written (typed) word lacks the inflective and visual cues we usually rely on to determine a person's intent. Although some posters may have disagreed with your opinion and perhaps even offered another view, I certainly hope that no one here intended to bash you for expressing yours!

Thanks for serving the activity as a Bluecoats board member and as a DCP contributor!

Regards,

Michael Terry

The law of opinions:

"Opinions are like ##sholes. Everyone has one."

Corrollary:

"All opinions stink to some degree. The degree is determined by your position - usually upwind or downwind."

I understand Michael. I've been around the activity quite awhile now and I really get a little huffy when I see people getting defensive. I wouldn't be involved (for as long as I have) if I didn't see the value in what every corps does. Some shows you like more than others. Sometimes we (I) are homers....but in any case I think the truest drum corps fan knows deep down that what's going on the field, no matter who it is, is something exceptionally special. That's what matters.

So when I pick on that section of the Bluecoats show (the block that doesn't move much and makes no sense) no one will take it personally.....oh wait a minute, they took that section out before Hershey. Now it looks great!