Concord, CA--Division I

While I'd like to review everyone, I was either in warm-ups, on the field, or doing a corps wrap up with RCR during Division II/III, Senior, and Blue Devils C. So I'll just hit some of the impressions I had from the Div I's

Pacific Crest--You know, this was the corps I was most impressed with during the evening. Unique show design, great visuals in the marching and guard, and a great sound to the hornline. Word has it that these guys only do this part-time and are not going on a full national tour. I cannot wait to see these guys once they go full-time and national. I'm not sure what their development plan is, but I see great things in this corps' future.

Seattle Cascades--Very impressed with their technical package, although I must say that the choice of music leaves me a bit flat. Another corps doing music that Cadets have done. With that said, however, I did like the design of the show and was especially impressed with the control that the hornline exhibited over soft passages. As a horn guy, I was impressed with the sensitivity of playing with this line and the brass staff needs to be commended. They ARE definitely better than Madison and am surprised that there is not more of a spread between the corps.

Madison Scouts--Before I talk about Madison, let's just say I think they did not have a good show. I was much more impressed with them on Saturday. I think that there was some problems with the heads being into the show for some reason on Sunday, which is why I think that there performance was down. Even coming on the field was a radically exposed tickfest--they come "off the line" and march in a company front to the 50. While on Saturday this was awesome, Sunday saw missed stops and starts, confusion, terrible phasing of the feet, and horrible dress. That set the stage. I like Madison's book, and it really hurts me to be so critical of them, but the corps is uncomfortable to watch. It is tough to see a corps of Madison's caliber and talent be so inferior visually to the other corps on the field. Hornwise, the book is pretty tight, although the line is dominated by a strong mello voice and a weakened soprano voice, which is not typical of Madison. My (and others') criticism of Madison would probably not be so harsh if it were not for the high standards that we have come to expect from Scouts over the years. However, Madison DOES look younger. The visual design looks more complex than this corps may be able to handle--an example of an ambitious design staff and the tech staff struggling to keep up. I have no doubt that the Scouts can come back and still be Finalists, but there is a lot of work ahead of them...

SCV--In my opinion, the best horns of the evening. An outstanding horn book. Period. For me it was the most enjoyable design package of the evening. A lot of cleaning to do throughout the corps, but a lot of potential to this years' package. Not sure that this show is the most crowd-pleasing, but SCV does sell the show with style and with an immense sound.

BD--Exactly the reverse of SCV. An enticing visual package (what a guard!) which makes you say "Wow!" at many moments through the show. I'm just not sold on the music book. Not my favorite BD book of recent years, but wonderfully played and executed. As far as cleanliness, the best corps of the evening and well-deserving of the win. However, I feel that the music package will hold the corps back this year from being a competitor for the ring.

My two cents! Wonderful effort by everyone out there on the field. I hope you all have as much fun marching your show as I did watching it!

Here's some more pennies to throw on the pile, though I saw less of the show than Clint. Stupid equipment loading!

Seattle Cascades - well I was just coming in as they were going on and didn't have my head into really watching yet - but overall I was impressed by the show, and really impressed with how much they've been building up the last coule of years. Good strong horn sound!

Madison - I feel the show lacks the oomph! that has made the show enjoyable to watch in the past. I think the best part was the march onto the field. Bottom line - the show needs some cleaning, or else maybe as Clint said their heads weren't into it. I was disappointed to see such sloppy and frantic looking drill from the Scouts. A lot of missed tosses in the guard, and it seems the horn line isn't as strong sounding as I remember from past years. Maybe my ears are going!

SCV - one of my favorites to listen to, but it's starting to sound like the same old thing. They had a banner year in 1999, and since then it has seemed like they're trying to copy that feeling every year - modern music, beautiful ballad, fast difficult drill with lots of big diagonal lines. Again. As several people also mentioned, the box thing in the guard needs to go. There's one point where the boxes come together to form an even bigger box, which actually looked pretty cool from up top in Hayward but loses effect from ground level. Otherwise, I'm sorry but I just don't like it. Still, the show has great potential, but I'm yearning for something different from SCV.

BD - wasn't sure what to expect when reading the literature selections - but this show is growing on me. It's certainly a far cry from what they've been doing the last few years. It's, well, fun and happy. I think the ragtime opening with soloist was great - and maybe it was just because I wasn't expecting something so light and fun from BD. I find the drill to be somewhat more interesting than it has been - a wee bit not as clean as I have come to expect from BD, but I'm sure that will change. Still, I think it was the best executed show of the night.

Pacific Crest--You know, this was the corps I was most impressed with during the evening. Unique show design, great visuals in the marching and guard, and a great sound to the hornline. Word has it that these guys only do this part-time and are not going on a full national tour. I cannot wait to see these guys once they go full-time and national. I'm not sure what their development plan is, but I see great things in this corps' future.

I've seen people questioning a couple time if this corps going to tour so let me throw in my two cents worth. Pacific Crest is only a sanctioned division I corps in the Pacific Region, if they tour outside of the Pacific Region they must field a division II corps. I don't know what their plans for the future are, but I have heard rumors that they might go division II next year and go to finals. Again these are rumors so don't take my word for it.

...and a color guard that's FULLY integrated with the rest of the corp...wow, what a concept!