Pacific Procession & Precision West

I've been asked to give a review, so I'll give it my best shot...

Disclaimer: since I'm a participant with the SF Renegades, I missed all of the Div II/III/Sr corps ahead of us. No sleight intended for not providing a review for them.

(#) = Number of goosebumps

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PACIFIC PROCESSION - Hayward, CA

Sat, July 6th - Santa Clara Vanguard, Host

Setting - stadium is elevated (~1000'), so you get a breath-taking view of the SF Bay. Stands are very tall, so horns must hit the 45 deg to reach the judges box. I was at the top of the stands.

1. Seattle Cascades (2)

Generally clean execution, except for some interval issues within brass ensemble. Their style appeared to be a mixture of Blue Devils and Cadets. Both brass and drums seemed a bit quiet...didn't project enough for a corp this size. Color guard did an admirable job and performed a generally good show. The corp came off as clean, but a bit boring. However, you can also tell that these guys are definitely a true up-and-coming corp.

2. Pacific Crest (3)

I'm amazed that this corp drills on weekends only. But, the lesser amount of rehearsal time shows up when corp members quickly move around each other in the beginning block and the rotating diamond. Nice interpretation of music though...brass hit key points with the soloist doing their part. Made for a good show that kept the audience's interest. Color guard got some extra points in my book...very integrated with rest of the corp, clean execution, and visual intepretation of the music was excellent.

3. Madison Scouts (2)

One goosebump came at the renowned entrance which occurs before judging starts...not a good sign when only one occurs during the rest of the show. Drill work was decent, but a bit easy for a corp of this stature. Brass is the strongest point and attempted to sell the show. Drums held their own, but the color guard is definitely the weak spot. Major execution issues (1/3 always behind in spins, lots of drops). It was more of a distraction then anything else. Kapoeira segment was interesting, but too short (after DCI's hype). Another issue is the color guard cumberbunds. Many had slivers of yellow showing between it and the pant...what happen to the clothing check before going on field? I must say that I've been a long-time Scout fan, and I (along with many others) was very disappointed with their performance.

4. Blue Devils (4)

Along with their longstanding reputation, CLEAN and brilliant execution. Great intervals, throughout the show. Brass was sharp and drums were solid. Color guard executed perfectly. The only thing I didn't like were the color guard uniforms. A bit distracting with all the colors. Also, I don't recall much flag work either. Show was a little flat, but IMHO they performed the best.

5. Santa Clara Vanguard (3-1/2)

SCV Unis are back to the traditional forest green. Nice coverage of field along with difficulty of drill. Brass and drums are solid throughout the show. Color guard was the most innovative of the show. An example was a large white "rubber band" on each flag pole that the guard member "tweaked" to the music. As usual, a solid SCV performance by the entire ensemble.

6. SCV Alumni - Exhibition (3-1/2)

My gosh, these guys are huge! They did a 20-minute stand-still show, but they definitely stole tonight's show. A repertoire of SCV's classics over the years...much like going back to all of the old shows. Incredible brass sound, though drums were a little sparse. Color guard was huge as well and flowed well visually. Highlight was what the audience was waiting for...the renowned "Bottle Dance" at the end of the show. The crowd was roaring on their feet as the color guard performed this SCV classic. One of our own Renegades color guard was in the line, and we were all screaming for her. Truly a memorable experience!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PRECISION WEST - Pleasant Hill, CA

Sun, July 7th - Blue Devils, Host

Setting - nice view of Mount Diablo. Show started 1-1/2 hours earlier so sun is big factor (shines right into performers eyes up thru Sr corps). Was in third row, so a low perspective for tonight's show.

1. Blue Devils "C" (Div III)

These tykes are sooooo cute! I saw them at Blue Devil's Family Day, and they are always the show stealer...no difference tonight. I especially love the fuse trick set to the music of Mission Impossible. Two little drummers pull a string with a "fuse" at the end towards them and when the fuse reaches them it "explodes" and they fall down. The color guard girls do a great job selling the show, but with so much make up for these youngsters, it gave me a chill reminiscent of Jon Benet. Overall, it is great to see these little kids marching so hard.

2. Pacific Crest

Brass and drum ensemble executed a little bit better than previous night, but color guard was a little more dirtier. So, overall they were about on par with the previous night. But, a bunch of us really like PC's style and music/visual intepretation, and it was good to see that they closed the gap on the Scouts to less than 3 points. Another up-and-coming corp for the future.

3. Seattle Cascades

After watching them the second time, this corp is beginning to grow on me. I thought they were a little more "on" tonight and projected better than Sat night. I was a little surprised on the magnitude of their score drop as Sunday's show was better IMHO. Again, a good clean show. Still I agree with the judges and rank them higher than the Scouts. On the cusp for DCI Finals, but I think they will be in.

4. Madison Scouts

After last night's performance, could it be any worse? Yes. The opening entrance got botched as a few folks stopped at the wrong yard line, and then a wave occurred (this is supposed to be a solid straight line). What else can I say, but another dirty show by the color guard. However, there were noticeably fewer drops, so they are moving in the right direction. But given the easier drill work for the whole corp, I don't see them making a significant move up. They are also on the cusp for DCI Finals, but unless they make a dramatic change in the next month they might be on the way out. That would be devastating for this corp, especially from a historical perspective and with DCI Finals in their hometown.

5. Santa Clara Vanguard

Another solid performance by SCV. Caught something that I missed last night. The entire corp faces right (showing the green) and then turns quickly left (showing the red). Cool display of the new (classic) uniform. Show was a little better than previous night, and execution noticeably better (musically and visually). Excellent show and I'm forecasting a Top 5 DCI Final. Solid SCV performance, but not quite challenging for the top.

6. Blue Devils

These guys were "on" tonight. Not only did they execute brilliantly, but also sold the show to the home-town audience. With SCV on their heels and doing a great job, they had to step it up one notch--and they did. Great show, and I'm predicting a Top 3 ranking in DCI Finals.

Hope you all enjoyed this review. It was great to witness such a large cavalcade of high-quality corps. Brings back a lot of good memories.

Awesome review -thanks!

Thanks George! My first one. B)

Disclaimer: since I'm a participant with the SF Renegades, I missed all of the Div II/III/Sr corps ahead of us. No sleight intended for not providing a review for them.

See, I knew there was a good reason for the seniors to go on first!!! ^0^

No way!